Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Justin 1933

Wrist Protection on Gloves

Just a little research time....

Do people actually use the wrist protection devices on gloves or are they just something that gets in they way? DO you look for these types of gloves, or stay away from them?

Examples:

Eagle - FCR (Flexor Carpi Radials Protective System)

Easton - Wrist Wrap II

Here is your chance to be part of the design process....

Justin

I'm not a fan of extra wrist protection but I like the way TPS implemented it on the R+ gloves. It doesn't seem to get in the way as much.

The FCRs were a tough sell. It was too restrictive.

The Easton ones seemed to be as well. I tried on a pair and didn't like them at all. (keep in mind I didn't sell those)

The best one so far has been the TPS one.

Here's the trick - if you make a glove with a wrist guard, make it easy to remove as well. It gives the customer options.

Hate, Hate, Hate, Hate, HATE! those wrist "wrap" things.. hope that's clear enough... ;)

While I understand the potential marketing decision of providing a glove with "improved" wrist protection (ie. pandering to the worrying parent)... it just isn't a concept that is rooted in peformance.

The benefits of any 'additional protection' are far outweighed by the fact that the designs don't allow for the same range of movement associated with gloves without the feature. Not to mention that most of the time the design doesn't allow the user to remove it, taking the choice away from the consumer. Also, it's just an additional place for wear and tear that has the potential to breakdown very quickly because of all of the movement associated with the wrist. It's just not worth it, for the manufacturer (development $$) or the consumer.

It's something that can be done for $4.99 with a pair of wristguards...

I'd much rather see the R&D money going to find ways of improving the natural bio-mechanical movement of the hand, throwing traditional glove "looks" out the window for the sake of performance. It's hard to argue with progress when it lets you perform better.

on a side note, ive never owned a pair of mission gloves, but ive tried on M-2's we sell in the store. they were comfortable, but i felt they were a little too wide in the backrolls. im not sure if they tend to round around the back of your hand after time, but that was just my observation. i think a removeable wrist guard is a nice idea, because it suits both groups.

I agree with Geki on this, I hate the added wrist protection things. To some degree you end up losing the comfort of having your wrist being able to move in any direction that the glove itself can allow and also you've got an added thing to get caught up on between your gloves cuff and your elbow pad. Also, if you're under say 5'10", the simple fact is that there isnt much space between your elbow pad and glove cuff, making the addition of another factor just an added hinderance for wrist mobility.

I know this first hand, Im only 5'8" and wear 13" or 14" gloves and size 5 Jofa elbow pads. Ive tried the wrist wrap II, didnt like it at all, felt restricted by it. Tried on the sherwoods with the elbow pads and had the same feeling about it. If you have to/want to do this on your gloves, you absolutely have to make it easily removable. Ive been in my custom M1 Pro's since I got them from the CB order and they are by far the best gloves Ive ever used, Id hate to have give them up if a non-removeable wrist guard was added in the future to them.

ARG!!!!! I hate implemented wristguards. Some $5 wristguards like Geki said or a nice pair of elbow pads should do the trick for wrist/forearm protection.

I prefer no cuff protective wristbands. I get hacked to hell but I just find them too constrictive.

I think the best thing for a writguard would be for it to be removable, as said before. This not only gives the customer options depending on what they want, but makes a more versatile glove. If I was playing shinny or just shooting around, I wouldn't want a wrist guard because it would only get in the way. But in a game, I would want the added protection. Right now I use a pair of wristbands with plastic inserts for that, they seem to do the trick. But if a glove had an easily removable wrist, I would be very interested in it.

i think wrist guards on gloves are a completely bad idea, gloves should stick to protecting the hand, and leave the forearm-wrist section to elbow pads or wrist guards.

I've only tried the Easton wrist wrap and I hated it. The plastic kept on rubbing into the back of my wrist whenever I fell and caused bruising. Now I just wear those terry cloth wristbands whenever I play against hacking teams.

i need wrist protection on my top hand. i have long arms and there is a good sized gap between my elbow pad and my glove cuff. it only really became a problem when i got last year's (non-+ with the big open cuff) tps response gloves. i had to make a guard from an old tps flexor elbow pad and attached it to the inner cuff. it just kind of lays on top on my wrist and doesn't wrap around. so it doesn't get in the way or restrict at all. i think that's the biggest key, if it you don't notice it, then it'll work. i would prefer something that just rests on top of the wrist than something that wraps around. make something that is removable at least.

I'm not a fan of extra wrist protection but I like the way TPS implemented it on the R+ gloves. It doesn't seem to get in the way as much.

When I got my Response Plus gloves, the first thing I did (after trying them with my other equipment/Nike V-Force elbow pads) was to cut off the wrist-protection-flaps. I admit they are far better and less constrictive than last year's Easton Z-Air wristguards. But while they excellently covered the gap between cuff and elbowpad when my wrist was bent forward-down (like when pointing at someone), they flap heavily interfered with the elbow-pads when bending the wrist back/up (like when pointing at yourself with your thumb). At times the flap even slipped inside (!) the elbow pad.

So, Justin, if you put a wristguard on your future gloves, please make them removeable. I had to cut mine off on the TPS and that was not a nice thing to do. Some velcroed solution (e.g. Nike Quest gloves' custom cuff) would be much better. Now that I think about it: On my Quest 1s I had also cut off the custom cuff completely.

I personally am not a fan of the wrist guards on gloves. Despite breaking my arm (wrist area) on a two handed slash 3yrs ago, I have never liked the slash guards(instead I get longer gloves and elbow pads since I have long arms). I find that adding an attachment to elbow pads works alot better and is far less restrictive. I dont think that many people use the wrist protection at all and find many people remove it.

I play in two leagues. One is a fairly competitive rec league and the other is a high level league. When I play my rec league games, I don't feel like I need extra wrist protection. However, in my other league I won't play without wrist gaurds. I just use the wristband type gaurds. If you are going to implement extra wrist protection, I would suggest making it removable (easily removable).

I had the easton airs with the wrist wrap, I made the wrap very lose and didnt mind it at all. I guess Im the only one so far, but I never really had a problem with it all..

I tried on Max-Qs in a store before. I found their wrist guard implementation to be unrestricting as they hinged well. And AFAIK, they were velcroed on and removable/adjustable. I've tried the Eastons w/cuff protection, didn't bother me so much.

I can't say the cuff protector influences my decision on gloves that much, it's more the fit and comfort of the overall glove that I'm concerned with. I would definitely like the option of them being removable if it was a cuff design.

Another built-in wristguard hater here. I've used top- model Easton gloves for a long time (9800s, Z-Airs) but I stood clear of the wristwrap models in 02' and 03'. I've never used them for a prolonged period of time, but the short time I borrowed some to test them out, they were uncomfortable.

That being said, I do wear the Easton slash guards and they are much less restrictive. I have not used the Eagle or TPS gloves with wrist protection.

I hate having anything near my wrists, I like to feel free in my wrist area and wrist and slash guards both make me uncomfortable. I may pay for it in the end, but I believe it benefits my play. I'd say make a removable pad for the best of both worlds, or incorporate a side "slash guard" which you could add onto the glove seperately.

i actually liked the wrist wrap on my ultra light pros, and it didnt feel like it restricted me at all. i loved the gloves, but they got pretty beat up quick