Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

XXXX

Those guys may have switched back since they had inventory of XXX in their equipment stock room. The LHS won't have that luxury. Given the time of year, close to playoffs, these players probably wanted their old skates back. I tried on XXXX in Toronto. Internally, they feel like XX and XXX.

I'm not one to buy into hype of stuff like this but I'm seriously considering the XXXXs... or maybe the XXXs. As well as going the custom route. eh, I still have a few months to decide.

Not trying to put doubt in anyone's mind here, I think the skates are hot, but something I've noticed. Nate Gerbe and Dan Bertram on Boston College both were wearing them when I saw them play in my hometown a few weeks back, and since then both have switched back to XXX. Also, last I saw Jason Blake he was wearing 30's again too (this was about two weeks ago against the Bruins and I haven't seen him since, might have been a one-night switchback). There's someone else who's name is escaping me that also switched back after a little while. Could there be any reason for this beyond just not wanting to switch mid-season? Any word on the performance compared to the 30?

Jack Johnson was wearing the xxxx's after world juniors for a few games with Michigan, then switched back to one90s....Hell- it seems like that guy switches skates/sticks etc. every week

Total Hockey was at the Lets Play Hockey Expo with several pairs of XXXXs on display with the LS2 Power Tuuks.

They've also had several full page color ads in the last could issues of Lets Play Hockey magazine here in MN.

Their colored LS2 Power Tuuks looks very good actually. Somewhat translucent but with lots of color.

They also told me they now have a Patent for colored hockey skate blade holders so if anyone wants to manufacture them in the future they'll have to pay them $$$$$$$ to use the rights to it.

They also told me they now have a Patent for colored hockey skate blade holders so if anyone wants to manufacture them in the future they'll have to pay them $$$$$$$ to use the rights to it.

How could they have a patent for dying other companies holders with RIT Dye?

How can you patent something like that?

That's like Maaco patenting car painting... :rolleyes: The only thing that's "Total" is the BS.

Are they installing the LS2P or is NBH doing it for them? Hmm, I mean, you still have to take off the holder to dye it...

Boy.....I am really having a problem with this TotalHockey conversation, and believing the patent information. I am currently in the process of obtaining two patents in the computer hardware field, and from my experience there would need to be approval from Tuuk to receive this patent as it requires the modification of an existing patent.

I am not an expert in building a skate holder, but I do have a background in chemistry and patent applications. The first issue I see in the application is the fact that dyeing a holder would most likely void the warranty. The second issue is the removal of a holder may void the warranty. The third issue is a litigation issue: if someone was to get injured using this dyed holder, and the plaintiff sued both Tuuk and Totalhockey, determining the root cause of a defect would be problematic. With patent issues, litigation must be pretty clear cut, so this issue of questioned negligence would make a patent approval difficult. I am not saying that there have been questionable approvals of patents in the past, but in my experience, patent attorneys are very thorough on these points. In the case, Totalhockey's patent attorneys would have recommended that the patent application NOT be submitted until these issues are rectified. For these reasons....I really need to raise the BS flag.

Not to be negative, but people really need to be careful with posting arbitrary information. Some may think we are a bunch of dumb hockey players, but I only go to this site because of the level of fairly intelligent people here. Getting back to the real issue, if Tuuk thought dyeing would not affect the tensile properties of the holder, they would add dye to the thermoplastic or zytel form process. There has to be a reason why they do not do it...so I could not see Tuuk supporting the patent application of a third party dyeing their product while voiding the warranty.

Sorry about approaching this topic from an edumicated perspective, but sometimes these random posters make me want to drop the gloves..... :rolleyes:

I was under the assumption their patent or filed application (or whatever) was for the idea of a colored blade holder (manufactured, dyed, or otherwise) for ice skates and not specifically for how they, themselves, dye existing white or clear ones....

I searched the US Patent office database and didn't find anything so who knows.

I did find an application for patent for a "clear ice skate blade holder". The application number is 20060108751.

I was under the assumption their patent or filed application (or whatever) was for the idea of a colored blade holder (manufactured, dyed, or otherwise) for ice skates and not specifically for how they, themselves, dye existing white or clear ones....

I searched the US Patent office database and didn't find anything so who knows.

I did find an application for patent for a "clear ice skate blade holder". The application number is 20060108751.

The simple answer is they lied to you, you can't patent something that you do not make/manufacture. Colored holders have been around for years.

How can you patent something like that?

That's like Maaco patenting car painting... :rolleyes: The only thing that's "Total" is the BS.

Are they installing the LS2P or is NBH doing it for them? Hmm, I mean, you still have to take off the holder to dye it...

They could have a process patent but identical pre-existing work product by others could be problematic. Assuming there was a written description of the process anywhere before they filed their patent application, the patent is worthless. As someone in the industry once told me, "A patent only gives you the right to sue."

Boy.....I am really having a problem with this TotalHockey conversation, and believing the patent information. I am currently in the process of obtaining two patents in the computer hardware field, and from my experience there would need to be approval from Tuuk to receive this patent as it requires the modification of an existing patent.

I am not an expert in building a skate holder, but I do have a background in chemistry and patent applications. The first issue I see in the application is the fact that dyeing a holder would most likely void the warranty. The second issue is the removal of a holder may void the warranty. The third issue is a litigation issue: if someone was to get injured using this dyed holder, and the plaintiff sued both Tuuk and Totalhockey, determining the root cause of a defect would be problematic. With patent issues, litigation must be pretty clear cut, so this issue of questioned negligence would make a patent approval difficult. I am not saying that there have been questionable approvals of patents in the past, but in my experience, patent attorneys are very thorough on these points. In the case, Totalhockey's patent attorneys would have recommended that the patent application NOT be submitted until these issues are rectified. For these reasons....I really need to raise the BS flag.

Not to be negative, but people really need to be careful with posting arbitrary information. Some may think we are a bunch of dumb hockey players, but I only go to this site because of the level of fairly intelligent people here. Getting back to the real issue, if Tuuk thought dyeing would not affect the tensile properties of the holder, they would add dye to the thermoplastic or zytel form process. There has to be a reason why they do not do it...so I could not see Tuuk supporting the patent application of a third party dyeing their product while voiding the warranty.

Sorry about approaching this topic from an edumicated perspective, but sometimes these random posters make me want to drop the gloves..... :rolleyes:

Anyone with a brain in the plastics industry knows that different dyes or colors do make a difference regarding the structural integrity of the plastic skate holders. Not all colors mesh equally with a plastic materiel, especiall with the lighter blues.

Anyone with a brain in the plastics industry knows that different dyes or colors do make a difference regarding the structural integrity of the plastic skate holders. Not all colors mesh equally with a plastic materiel, especiall with the lighter blues.

I agree...that's why I made the last comment. If it were so easy and did not have a structural effect, customer demand would have driven Tuuk to have holders of every color on the market. The part that really didn't make sense was the patenting comment in previous posts. I can't see that happening. I have dyed things in the past, so one could make a compelling argument that the heat applied to the holder during the dyeing process could effect the holder's properties (all purpose dyes require at least 190-200 degree F heat to provide the "desired" color), not to mention the effect of the chemical composition of the dye itself.