Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Guest OSTOR

Master car, truck, etc... topic

So yeah, I'm picking up an e30 tomorrow :)

throw some pics up soon if you can, I love e30s.

Edited by pat19

I've been starting to shop around for cars recently since mine is hitting the point of "very expensive parts need replacing" and I was considering a few models of various brands without any real passion for one striking me. Then while I was in stockholm last week, I quickly snapped a shot when I saw this:

Subaru WRX STi Pic.

4 door impreza hatch. And I even like the color. Dunno about the spoiler but hey, otherwise, damn nice car.

You do realize that this is the WRX STi version of the Imprezza, right? Not just the standard 2.5.

Yes.

OK, just making sure. :)

So yeah, I'm picking up an e30 tomorrow :)

throw some pics up soon if you can, I love e30s.

Definitely, it kind of sucks because I'm going to orientation tuesday morning so I won't see the car for 2 days after the first night with it. Its a mint little 325 that an old lady had, I literally drove it's 50,000 mile on the test drive. It's gonna be a fun little car to split the DD duties with the Mazda.

6415_1131941218803_1235430034_30505070_6570070_n.jpg

There you go pat, just a little teaser before she gets a little work done.

Looking good.

So I know I probably won't get any help but 04 WRX or 02 RSX-S? anyone have experience?

I know I probably won't get any help but 04 WRX or 02 RSX-S? anyone have experience?

dude... that's about as diverse as you can get. 4 door boxer engine vs 2 door integra. hmmm...

what do you have now?

I know I probably won't get any help but 04 WRX or 02 RSX-S? anyone have experience?

dude... that's about as diverse as you can get. 4 door boxer engine vs 2 door integra. hmmm...

what do you have now?

saab 9000 aero... beat up piece of shit. I'm a very indecisive person and I cannot make up my mind about a car. I just want something newer, fast, and reliable. I think I want the Subaru but everything I've read said they're good at launching but the AWD takes up too much power and they suck at highway speeds. The RSX-S I found is a little old has too many miles on it (97k) but I figured with the extra money I save I could mod it (maybe a turbo?). I don't know if a 97k mile engine could even handle that though.

So I know I probably won't get any help but 04 WRX or 02 RSX-S? anyone have experience?

I used to own an 03' WRX. Fun car, practicable, reliable, and phenomenal in winters. I loved it.

Never driven an RSX...and like said before, two totally different cars. Any questions about the Subaru though, lemme know.

Will be going car shopping over the next couple weeks. I've got a bit of cash stashed away and will be getting a (relatively) fat bonus check from my summer job soon - so I'm looking to buy outright. I've done some research and a bit of looking around (mostly while dealerships are closed so as to not be annoyed by salesmen, and also to avoid wasting their time by hanging around and demanding attention before I'm in a position to buy) and - pending test drives and then a once-over from my brother (a mechanic) - pretty much have myself narrowed down to a couple cars.

Any of you seasoned car-buying vets have any pointers for a kid going through this for the first time? I like to think of myself as being of at least a "competent" level of intellect and I'm already pretty narcissistic and distrusting of people I don't know...so I'm not TOO concerned about falling for the B.S. a salesman is going to try to feed me. Even so, does anybody have anything that they think I should be wary of going in? Tricks they might try to pull on me? Negotiating tactics? Anything at all you just feel might be useful?

Thanks, boys.

Will be going car shopping over the next couple weeks. I've got a bit of cash stashed away and will be getting a (relatively) fat bonus check from my summer job soon - so I'm looking to buy outright. I've done some research and a bit of looking around (mostly while dealerships are closed so as to not be annoyed by salesmen, and also to avoid wasting their time by hanging around and demanding attention before I'm in a position to buy) and - pending test drives and then a once-over from my brother (a mechanic) - pretty much have myself narrowed down to a couple cars.

Any of you seasoned car-buying vets have any pointers for a kid going through this for the first time? I like to think of myself as being of at least a "competent" level of intellect and I'm already pretty narcissistic and distrusting of people I don't know...so I'm not TOO concerned about falling for the B.S. a salesman is going to try to feed me. Even so, does anybody have anything that they think I should be wary of going in? Tricks they might try to pull on me? Negotiating tactics? Anything at all you just feel might be useful?

Thanks, boys.

Never buy anything the first time you see it. Check the book value on Edmunds.com and always ask for a carfax report. As for the salesmen, take their card and tell them you will call them once you make a decision. Then, actually call them if you decide you are going to buy from that dealer.

and don't look super excited when you go on a test drive or look really eager to buy that new car. Once a salesman see's that, then he knows he has you by your balls.

and don't look super excited when you go on a test drive or look really eager to buy that new car. Once a salesman see's that, then he knows he has you by your balls.

that doesn't matter, to be honest. plus it ruins the experience for you. the trick is to go in with a realistic number in your head and stick to it. the purchase of a car takes ALL day. and the only real trick car dealers have is the luxury of time on their side, so stay hydrated! seriously.

those edmunds books help determine value, but you'll never get that price so don't worry too much about it. i'd say THE MOST important thing to find out before you buy is the history of the car. its good that you have your brother as well.

a sales person's job is to build a sense of urgency. one person said not to buy the first car you see, which is very valid advice, but at the same time, timing is everything and the ability to see a good deal and capitalize on it will save you time, money and energy in the long run. being able to differentiate a salesman's urgency to buy as opposed to seeing a great car for a great price are two different things.

the final advice is to get the sales manager involved. its their job to represent the dealership and provide an extra level of service above and beyond what the salesman can offer... so if there's a $20,999 car thats been on the lot for two months, and the sales guy won't go lower than, say $18,500... ask him to invite the sales manager into the conversation. a deal almost always gets done with a sales manager at a table. that being said, ask lots of questions.... not necessarily about the car itself, but the dealership's relationship with it.... how long has it been on the lot, what did the previous owner trade it for, how long has the sales guy been there, are there any big markdowns that are going to happen, etc etc. its all about gathering information and letting the sales guy talk it out. the more he talks, the more likely he is to give you a good deal.

good luck, and enjoy the experience! its fun!

Edited by shotty

Lkpt, do you have a Costco membership, or know someone who does? I've heard from quite a few people that they have gotten cars through them for barely over invoice. Seems like a good way to go if you dont like, or know how, to haggle.

Edited by Thockey17

those edmunds books help determine value, but you'll never get that price so don't worry too much about it. i'd say THE MOST important thing to find out before you buy is the history of the car. its good that you have your brother as well.

I've paid below book value on my last couple used vehicles. Given the overall lack of car sales right now, I would expect that most dealers would be willing to make a deal.

I used to own an 03' WRX. Fun car, practicable, reliable, and phenomenal in winters. I loved it.

Never driven an RSX...and like said before, two totally different cars. Any questions about the Subaru though, lemme know.

well since they only have 5 gears and apparently the first 3 are wicked short, is it really slow on the highway?

And talk about all over the place haha, how's maintenance on like a 2000 Range Rover?

I remember in when I was in Aspen I was looking at car ads and you could find nice ones for $12k all day. In Aspen every other car is a Range Rover though, I don't know about finding one in MA.

well since they only have 5 gears and apparently the first 3 are wicked short, is it really slow on the highway?

That statement makes zero sense. About the WRX or about how a transmission works on a basic level.

That statement makes zero sense. About the WRX or about how a transmission works on a basic level.

I'm talking about higher speeds, since the first gears are so short, you can accelerate faster at lower speeds but you're not gonna use those gears once you're at highway speed so you're gonna have to use the 5th gear and acceleration will be slower? Am I wrong? I probably am I don't know.

I'm talking about higher speeds, since the first gears are so short, you can accelerate faster at lower speeds but you're not gonna use those gears once you're at highway speed so you're gonna have to use the 5th gear and acceleration will be slower? Am I wrong? I probably am I don't know.

You could always drop it back down to 4th for a little extra 'umph' for passing on the freeway. At 60mph, dropping back to 4th will be around 4.000 RPM, and hopefully by the time you complete the pass, it'll be around 5,000RPM.

At least that's the way it is with my car. Give or take a couple RPM's.

5th gear is a cruising gear...

I'm just saying at like 75 you're probably not gonna drop down to 4th right? so accelerating from 75 to 100+ is gonna have to be done in 5th gear so that combined with the all wheel drive taking up power, the wrx will accelerate slowly, correct? And even if you do drop to 4th, it still won't pick up that quick will it?

Edited by pat19

I've paid below book value on my last couple used vehicles. Given the overall lack of car sales right now, I would expect that most dealers would be willing to make a deal.

from dealerships? thats awesome. i've never purchased a used car from a dealer, but i'll tell you this: they pay less than book value and charge more than.... at least in canada. and i know that from tracking my trading ins.

I'm just saying at like 75 you're probably not gonna drop down to 4th right? so accelerating from 75 to 100+ is gonna have to be done in 5th gear so that combined with the all wheel drive taking up power, the wrx will accelerate slowly, correct? And even if you do drop to 4th, it still won't pick up that quick will it?

At 5th, going that fast, it'll still accelerate, just not as fast as say 3rd, or 4th would at lower speeds. You can drop down to 4th, but it'll rev the engine really high, and shouldn't be done at 70+.

any way you cut it, it's a four banger, which are notoriously lacking in the higher gears. and who's really worried about performance at 80-90 mph+ anyways? you're already past the limit at that point, right? you should be worried about the acceleration from 45/50 up to mid 60s.

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/ctd/1261741407.html

Would this be really expensive to maintain? Do things start to go wrong on these at 76k miles?

range rover techs will tell you that the parts are unique, but if you do research on the web you'll find that the parts are swappable with other makes... for some reason Nissan comes to mind. however, i wouldnt buy ANYTHING luxury with that many miles unless it was dirt cheap.

any way you cut it, it's a four banger, which are notoriously lacking in the higher gears. and who's really worried about performance at 80-90 mph+ anyways? you're already past the limit at that point, right? you should be worried about the acceleration from 45/50 up to mid 60s.

True, I've just heard they're fast from a stop but from a roll, even like 20-30, they're slow and even like an rsx will beat them.

I never thought deciding what to get would be this hard.

I might go back to thinking about a Z but they seem like the least practical of everything I'm looking at.

Edited by pat19