Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Guest OSTOR

Master car, truck, etc... topic

5th gear is a cruising gear...

I'm just saying at like 75 you're probably not gonna drop down to 4th right? so accelerating from 75 to 100+ is gonna have to be done in 5th gear so that combined with the all wheel drive taking up power, the wrx will accelerate slowly, correct? And even if you do drop to 4th, it still won't pick up that quick will it?

any way you cut it, it's a four banger, which are notoriously lacking in the higher gears. and who's really worried about performance at 80-90 mph+ anyways? you're already past the limit at that point, right? you should be worried about the acceleration from 45/50 up to mid 60s.

True, I've just heard they're fast from a stop they're fast but from a roll, even like 20-30, it's slow and even like an rsx will beat it.

I never thought deciding what to get would be this hard.

I might go back to thinking about a Z but they seem like the least practical of everything I'm looking at.

I'd take the RSX, if all your concerned about it acceleration speed in the later mph's.

I'm just saying at like 75 you're probably not gonna drop down to 4th right? so accelerating from 75 to 100+ is gonna have to be done in 5th gear so that combined with the all wheel drive taking up power, the wrx will accelerate slowly, correct? And even if you do drop to 4th, it still won't pick up that quick will it?

any way you cut it, it's a four banger, which are notoriously lacking in the higher gears. and who's really worried about performance at 80-90 mph+ anyways? you're already past the limit at that point, right? you should be worried about the acceleration from 45/50 up to mid 60s.

True, I've just heard they're fast from a stop but from a roll, even like 20-30, they're slow and even like an rsx will beat them.

I might go back to thinking about a Z but they seem like the least practical of everything I'm looking at.

the only reason they're fast from a stop is the turbo. just like the old MR2s.... they PULLED like crazy from about 4500rpm NA, but getting there was painful, the forced air systems in the later years solved that problem. thats a decent car to look at as well... but only if you're dont mind sitting next to stinky gear on the way home!

True, I've just heard they're fast from a stop but from a roll, even like 20-30, they're slow and even like an rsx will beat them.

you can easily drop down to 4th when rolling at 75mph.

Stock WRX's hit mid 14's in the quarter mile right around 90mph...i can assure you that they don't hit 5th gear in quarter mile.

the only reason they're fast from a stop is the turbo. just like the old MR2s.... they PULLED like crazy from about 4500rpm NA, but getting there was painful, the forced air systems in the later years solved that problem. thats a decent car to look at as well... but only if you're dont mind sitting next to stinky gear on the way home!

You sir... are wrong. The reason they are quicker from a stop is due to the 4wd and the traction they get. Turbo takes a bit of time to spool up. Unless we are talking about th STi...which we are not.

you can easily drop down to 4th when rolling at 75mph.

Stock WRX's hit mid 14's in the quarter mile right around 90mph...i can assure you that they don't hit 5th gear in quarter mile.

You sir... are wrong. The reason they are quicker from a stop is due to the 4wd and the traction they get. Turbo takes a bit of time to spool up. Unless we are talking about th STi...which we are not.

the only thing 4wd helps with at a standstill is a smooth launch (limiting wheel spin), but you still need really high rpms or torque to achieve it, the latter of which 4 cyl cars dont have a lot of and the former gets old fast. yes, revving up to peak torque/hp levels and dropping the clutch and getting next to no wheel spin, then spanking the 89 crx lined up next to you might be fun the first few times, but after a while, it gets old and you start driving like a normal person... and normal people dont give a shit about 4wd unless its snowing!

old turbos take time to spool, factory installed ones are utilized for one purpose only: to eliminate exactly what i spoke of before... lack of low end torque. they aren't running at 10+ psi and dont have massive bovs.

Edited by shotty

those edmunds books help determine value, but you'll never get that price so don't worry too much about it. i'd say THE MOST important thing to find out before you buy is the history of the car. its good that you have your brother as well.

I've paid below book value on my last couple used vehicles. Given the overall lack of car sales right now, I would expect that most dealers would be willing to make a deal.

from dealerships? thats awesome. i've never purchased a used car from a dealer, but i'll tell you this: they pay less than book value and charge more than.... at least in canada. and i know that from tracking my trading ins.

Yes, from dealers. It happens all the time if you know what you're doing. If you know what they sell for at auction, you can usually figure out around how much they paid for the vehicles.

Unrelated note, when I bought my FJ the salesman was a buddy of mine and sold it to me for $1k more than they paid for it and that was still several thousand below book value.

and normal people dont give a shit about 4wd unless its snowing!

It snows 6 months out of the year where I live, but that's not my only reason for going AWD on my wagon. Unless your definition of "normal" still encompasses juveniles looking to see who's got the bigger foot at the stoplight.

I can attribute my AWD to getting me out of several circumstances that 2wd vehicles could not pass where snow wasn't present. Modern stability control may be the answer, but more and more family cars aren't coming with optional AWD just for the snowbelt drivers.

Then again, I can also attribute the damn turbo to my accident last year.

and normal people dont give a shit about 4wd unless its snowing!

It snows 6 months out of the year where I live, but that's not my only reason for going AWD on my wagon. Unless your definition of "normal" still encompasses juveniles looking to see who's got the bigger foot at the stoplight.

I can attribute my AWD to getting me out of several circumstances that 2wd vehicles could not pass where snow wasn't present. Modern stability control may be the answer, but more and more family cars aren't coming with optional AWD just for the snowbelt drivers.

Then again, I can also attribute the damn turbo to my accident last year.

I can feel the difference in traction when it is raining between 4wd and 2wd. I used to put my Rodeo in 4wd if there was anything more than a light mist and it made a huge difference. The only thing I don't like about my FJ is that it is full time 4wd and the mileage takes a bit of a hit from that.

Stop teasing us! :(

Didnt know so many people were following me. Word to Twitter.

Here's another one for ya'.

24o7gye.png

Hurry up Vorsteiner. <_<

Edited by Thockey17

So I'm looking at buying a new car, its most likely going to be the Infiniti G37. Obviously the car comes in a coupe and a sedan model and I just can't make up my mind between the two for the life of me. I'm a young, single guy and will be spending the next two years going to business school, so I technically don't "need" the sedan, but at the same time I worry that the coupe may not be big enough. So let's have the opinions from everyone, and I'd really like to hear your reasoning behind the opinions as well. Thanks.

go coupe pick up some nice girls in that car, if you go with the sedan go with the nissan maxima looks 10x better and is the same car just the logo is different

I'm not sure about which the ladies would rather get into, but the G37 Sedan is not the same car as a Maxima. Engines are similar (different cams and exhaust headers on the G37, different intake manifold, ecu mapping etc.) but the G37 is rear wheel drive and the Maxima is front wheel.