Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Guest OSTOR

Master car, truck, etc... topic

Could it be one of these? :P

--picture--

I wish. The father of a pretty good friend of mine owns a Macca F1 along with an Enzo, F50, F40 and some others. He had it repainted white, added the LM downforce kit and black wheels. It is the ultimate as far as im concerned. However the $1.6million + market on them is not in the favor of most.

as for the orange, i'm guessing GT3-RS. amazing car! i had the chance drive one for a day at summit point raceway last year. what a machine. not something to be played with, though... tons of grip (up to a point, then BAM it's gone, like every porsche), and classic porsche rear-heavy weight distribution. a death trap at the hands of an inexperienced and overzealous driver... it really wants to be backwards. what a rewarding car for the attentive driver, though! i might have to shed a tear about the challenge stradale not ever seeing the track, though! that would be like ordering custom X-60's, then only using them at public skating :P i highly recommend taking it to a ferrari club event. their instructors are great.

GT3RS was an option for sure, but this was a deal nobody could pass up. It ended costing a decent amount less than the market price(s) on pretty significantly used RS

Edited by Thockey17

GT3RS was an option for sure, but this was a deal nobody could pass up. It ended costing a decent amount less than the market price(s) on pretty significantly used RS

Lambo? I can't think of anything else orange besides like a General Lee.

Edited by pat19

Yes.

Gallardo Superleggera.

Edited by Thockey17

New engine... ready for the dyno (photo taken before newer headers were bought). Unfortunately it's for the race car and not the daily driver, lol. :D

Got any pics of your race car? That motor is a beauty!

Got any pics of your race car? That motor is a beauty!

Will have to find some and post. It's a 232" dragster that's been sitting since I parked it over 10 yrs ago, ouch. Family has come before my racing. Engine is ready to dyno, I have the new transmission done along with a pair of torque converters to test, and need to do some chassis updates to the car yet. Would like to get out yet this season if possible, but it's not the end of the world if I don't. Between work, the little one and her activities (she mountain bikes in the summer and skates in the winter... and the school stuff too), and my building race transmissions I have very little time to work on the race car. I try to sneak in a few runs each year in friend's cars. Went a 7.53/178 in 2007 and a 7.29/185 last year in a Mopar-powered dragster. Same guy is tipping the can and going to run 10-15% nitro in it this year in hopes of going 6.80's. He went a 7.09 late last season in Gimli so it's likely the nitro will do the trick. You can usually run 15% with no worries if the fuel system is jetted properly. He runs alcohol and a single injector on a cast aluminum intake with his 588" engine pushing 1100 hp or so. My deal is a tiny little 331" that I hope makes at or just shy of 700 hp.

Yes.

Gallardo Superleggera.

Oh boy.....jealousy does not describe it.

Nice selection buddy!

Can I ask how you found the S4? I used to have an A4 QT and found it a beautiful car, but very boring. I need somehting to tow my race car with and be my daily and the S4 fits the bill. How was reliability? I've heard they have a few issues...

thanks. what kind of racecar are you towing? i tow my m3 and formula ford with an old GMC V8 pickup that i got for $3000. i never drive that truck other than to/from the racetrack, with a trailer on the back. i'll try to get some pictures of the formula ford 1600 up soon, but i keep it at a warehouse (along with the truck) away from home.

the B5 S4 was a great daily driver. if i could do it again (and i might), i'd find one that has never been modified whatsoever, and either leave the drivetrain absolutely stock (except for a samco hose kit), or just go all the way and do a complete OEM RS4 engine/turbo upgrade. mine was chipped and had a number of other go-fast modifications, which made it a true rocket on the highway, but it was a ticking time bomb. turbos were failing, head gasket leaking, rear main seal leaking, etc. that's not speaking badly of the car, though... that was a result of the modifications i did to it, and the amount of time it spent on the track. if properly maintained, and conservatively/smartly modified, it's a perfectly reliable car. the funny thing is my 135i drives like an e46 m3 with a chipped b5 s4 motor.

unless you have a particular soft spot for the B5 S4 (twin turbo v6 like i had), i'd suggest looking at a B6 S4 (made from 2004-2005.5). it's a naturally aspirated V8, and only slightly more expensive than a B5. you'd likely have less maintenance on one of those, and it would definitely make a better tow vehicle. (this is all assuming you're towing something rather light).

Thanks for that mate.

My load is pretty light (for a car) at around 1500kg's including trailer, and it's a 180SX (240SX over there). I want to try to avoid having a dedicated tow car as I live in an apartment and it's enough issue trying to get room to store the car and the trailer let alone a third car, but I am considering it as it would open up my daily driver options immensley. I currently keep them in a warehouse, but we may be changing premises soon, which would equal me hiring out storage which could be an issue.

The reliability of the B5 S4 is what scares me the most. I used to have a B5 QT which was nice, but I didn't have it long enough to experience issues with it. I don't really want to be forking out massive maintenance as I prefer to spend my spare cash to race with (or spend on hockey :P ). The B6 S4 is the other option I'm thinking of, just need to do some research into it's towing capacity. I think I'd prefer a B5, but the B6 is probably the smarter option... if it can tow that is.

Edited by phunky_monkey

New engine... ready for the dyno (photo taken before newer headers were bought). Unfortunately it's for the race car and not the daily driver, lol. :D

Lets see now. SBC, probably a stroker because no one builds them with a stock stroke any more. Aluminum heads (only cheap guys like me still run iron), belt driven distributor, electric water pump, vacuum pump (must be a big cam and lots of compression), dual carb tunnel ram with provision for 2 stages of nitrous, 1 & 3/4" headers (thermally coated of course). This all means I'm drooling and really jealous and probably about 850-900 hp on gas alone and then up to 1000-1100 with both stages of nitrous. Am I close?

Who wants one of these? It pulled up next to me as I was driving to the forum. Luckily there were enough traffic that the thing could keep up and actually pass me, the top speed had to be around 30mph.

image096f.jpg

Lets see now. SBC, probably a stroker because no one builds them with a stock stroke any more. Aluminum heads (only cheap guys like me still run iron), belt driven distributor, electric water pump, vacuum pump (must be a big cam and lots of compression), dual carb tunnel ram with provision for 2 stages of nitrous, 1 & 3/4" headers (thermally coated of course). This all means I'm drooling and really jealous and probably about 850-900 hp on gas alone and then up to 1000-1100 with both stages of nitrous. Am I close?

Lol... not even close! It's a 4.030" bore and 3.250" stroke... tiny little 331". Just shy of 700hp. Have not used spray, but the option is there to plumb it if desired. Headers are 1 7/8"-2" steps with 3 1/2" merged collectors. The ones shown are for sale, I have a nicer set of Performance Welding ones to use in the same size but they weigh a lot less. Both sets are coated by Nitroplate (I'm a dealer for them). Heads are Canfields with titanium intake/exhaust valves, and Jesel (I'm a dealer) rocker shaft system hiding under Moroso sheet metal valve covers. Jesel distributor on a Comp Cams belt drive. Cam isn't real big but is right for the combo; 276/284 @ .050" with just shy of .700" on the intake and .630" on the exhaust, with Crower roller lifters, tapered pushrods, Isky 9945 springs and Manley titanium retainers. Right at 14:1 for compression with Arias pistons and Manley aluminum rods. Stef's (dealer) oil pan with a Weaver Bros external single-stage wet sump oil pump setup. Moroso vacuum pump with a Star Machine relief valve, Meziere water pump. Hogan's sheet metal intake with a pair of Quick Fuel gas 750's. Leave with a 7" 6800 or a 7" 7200 converter in a lightweight Powerglide (I build those too) with aluminum high gear hub/drum, aluminum gear carrier mated to a Vasco steel output shaft, Stef's sheet metal pan, aluminum transbrake valve body, etc. I'd love to build a 15-degree headed engine that would get me to that 800-850hp point but at this time I don't run enough to warrant the expense. This deal comparitively is cheap if you look at many store-bought $20-30K engines out there. This one I did all myself with the exception of some machine work, the balancing, and the final head port work. I did one cylinder for port work (intake/exhaust/valve job/chamber) and then had a friend in KS finish them up for me in trade for a trans build he needed done. He has the computerized flow bench/etc to do the job right. He didn't open my first port up much and still gained 5 cfm on the intake side with good velocity numbers. Oh... if you liked this engine you'd have loved the little 388" Rodeck small block I had in an alky funny car which I drove/tuned some years ago. We had to detune it with a smaller superchager/less overdrive/smaller fuel pump/less timing/lower shift points/less leave rpm to run the local midwest circuit back then. We had a small block running against mainly big block Chevies and a couple Hemi engines. After a run we checked springs/valve lash/checked the oil filter screen/added alky to the tank/filled the block and heads with water and scratched our heads, lol. They hated us as the one season we ran all events I won/runner-upped at all but 2 races. They were happy to see me step out of the car for family time reasons during the season after that! :)

Edited by Too Old

No, I just happened to have a fair amount of 3.25" stuff around. I have a couple other cranks, and one large journal offset ground down to small journal size for a 3.34" stroke. That ends up at 341" with a 4.030" bore size. Plus, I am using a production 350 4-bolt high tin block so I am leery of pushing much past 680-700hp with it. The mains become the weak point as you get around that area. I'd go with a Bowtie or aftermarket block if I did much more for an engine. With a mild 331" I ran into the 8.20's in my dragster and this one should get me to 7.90's or 8-flat most likely. Not real crazy compared to some other folks or even how I've run with other (big block stuff) engines in the car. I've gone 7.16 @ 191+ with a 1053hp 458" big block in it. It's just too expensive to keep something like that around anymore!

THockey, you seem to have a lot of experience with M3's, or anyone...

Does this seem like a pretty good deal or a waste of money for an 18 year old?

http://www.massdriven.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28397

I'm not sure if I could afford M3 parts and the mileage is pretty high, but this seems like it's in great condition for a 1997.

DSC_0496.jpg

Edited by pat19

2006 BMW 530i (sport, shadow line & convenience packages)

2008 Chevy Equinox LS (stock)

2005 Dodge Ram 1500, (dual chipped and upgraded turbo = 580 hp)

hoping to dump the equinox soon, and trade 530i for the new X6-M.

are you serious? that new x6 is uglyyyyyy imo...i would take that 5 series any day over tht x6

http://media.nextautos.com/images/BMW_X6_concept_rear.jpg

I'm not sure if I could afford M3 parts and the mileage is pretty high, but this seems like it's in great condition for a 1997.

18 year old and M3 besides insurance being ridiculous its overkill and not needed. I'd pass.

Edited by hockeysc23

Pat I think it comes down to how much money do you have? If you've got an extra grand or two over the price of the car I'd do it, but I think when buying an older performance/modded car is that you've gotta have that 'rainy day' fund if shit goes south. This is especially important if its your daily driver.

are you serious? that new x6 is uglyyyyyy imo...i would take that 5 series any day over tht x6

i didnt like it when it first came out either, but it grew on me... and the X6-M is slated to have 550 horsepower.

i didnt like it when it first came out either, but it grew on me... and the X6-M is slated to have 550 horsepower.

yeah to be honest its growing on me too now that i look at it...and 550 hp is worth it lol..i dont care wht my car looks like

DSC_0496.jpg

i'd pass on that, but because it's overpriced. i sold my 97 m3 with similar modifications (which generally have no resale value) with 115k miles for $8k. i disagree about it being too much car for an 18-year old. a bad/inexperienced/oblivious driver can get in just as much trouble in a civic as in an M3. when it comes to safety, focus on the driver first, not the car.

So will the much better looking imo X5-M

I haven't but my dad has at the Barber Motorsports park on the track and off road. He says it's absolutely amazing. Apparently it's faster around the track than the base 997 Carrera in the hands of a pro.