Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Koho is Dead

Crazy Training Stories

I was just thinking this would make a good idea for a thread.

Tell us your "miracle" story. Did your coach ever have you go 50 suicides? I'm betting that some of the players on here that play Jr. A will have the best stories.

I dont have any crazy hockey training stories myself so I cant really contribute to the thread.

Just interested in what others have done is all.

A friend of mine played at UWisc his freshman year, then a D3 school after that. I believe it was at UW that, after a bad game, the coach would sit in a chair at center ice, reading the paper. Meanwhile, the assistant coaches would cattle drive them.

throughout my "career" in hockey I've been bag-skated several times but nothing so ridiculous to the point of remembering it....

Some of the guy on our team got caught drinking the night b4 training. Lets just say the coach wasnt to pleased. He put a bin in the middle of the ice and skated all of us. We wernt alloud to leave the ice untill eveyone was sik in the bin. and even afta everyone was sik..... We still had to skate. I laugh about it now. It wasnt to funny at the time tho.

throughout my "career" in hockey I've been bag-skated several times but nothing so ridiculous to the point of remembering it....

What the hell does "bag-skated" mean? I figure it's not unlike "Miracle"

again...again....again....again....again....again....

But that is the second time in a week I've heard the expression....

My coach last season had five vests with 75-80 lbs. of lead weights in them. Before every practice, on-ice or dryland, he drew names to see who would wear them. We kept that going every practice through all of pre-season right up until the last couple days before our first game. As tiring as the weight made it, the biggest issue it presented was, when you were wearing the vest on the ice, being able to adjust how you distribute your own weight on your edges.

I've really got too many to think through right now. If I can think of any remarkably good ones, I'll post 'em.

After a tournament up north where we played like infants, coach called a special practice. We usually have the first practice off after a tournament cuz coach doesn't want anyone to pull a groin or whatever, but this was personal.

We go our there, and warmup shooting like a normal practice, thinking nothing would happen out of the ordinary. Then coach picks up all the pucks and puts them back in the bag and throw the bag over the boards, REAL hard. We start with laps, sprint on 1 wistle, 50% on 2 wistles, for about 10 laps. Then, we line up even with the dots lengthwise down the rink, and its widthwise dot to dot sprints for 10 minutes straight. Next, a 30 second water break where about 5 of us actually got water from the weakass fountain. Then, suicides. We alternate groups for the next half hour, and the coach would stop us every 5 or so liners to yell at us. You know that part where the one guy asks OSullivan how his legs are, and he says, "I'll let you know when I can feel em..."

That's what it was like. But the lungs still burned like it was a witch hunt or something. After that, it took everybody about 40 min just to get all our gear off, pretty much crying like little girls.

Worst part for me though, a couple friends had convinced me to go to bikram yoga with them, the kind in a 103 degree sauna, and I got the message about the surprise practice right after I got out, and practice was in 20 min when I got it. I hated life that night and the next day.

A bag skate is exactly what was done in Miracle.

"bagged" is an expression for exhausted, as in "I'm bagged from that long practice". Ergo, a bag-skate is one where the coach just skates you to the point of exhaustion.

Probably one of the strangest/coolest things a coach has ever done was during our first official on-ice practice last season.

After skating and stretching for a little while, coach blew his whistle and had all of us line-up across the goal-line. One of the assistant coaches came out with the bucket of pucks, stopped in the middle of the hash-marks, and dumped them out onto the ice.

He stood there for a few seconds, then proceded to flip every single puck over the glass behind the net and off the ice (I'm still kinda impressed that he was consistantly able to hit spots in the netting where the puck would drop down behind the glass as opposed to bouncing back onto the ice). Once he finished, he stood there for a moment, looked us over and said "You boys don't have to worry about those things anytime soon. Greys (refering, obviously, to the guys wearing grey practice jersies), Suicides. Go."

Probably one of the strangest/coolest things a coach has ever done was during our first official on-ice practice last season.

After skating and stretching for a little while, coach blew his whistle and had all of us line-up across the goal-line. One of the assistant coaches came out with the bucket of pucks, stopped in the middle of the hash-marks, and dumped them out onto the ice.

He stood there for a few seconds, then proceded to flip every single puck over the glass behind the net and off the ice (I'm still kinda impressed that he was consistantly able to hit spots in the netting where the puck would drop down behind the glass as opposed to bouncing back onto the ice). Once he finished, he stood there for a moment, looked us over and said "You boys don't have to worry about those things anytime soon. Greys (refering, obviously, to the guys wearing grey practice jersies), Suicides. Go."

Were you a grey one?

It did not happens a lot to me, but it happens one time to one of my friends and also teamates who will always remember. Anyway, after a bad home game, the coach Pat Roy said to stay with the equipment and wait for the journalist to go home and also all the attendance, and they skated real hard. It must suck so much....

Speaking of bag skate, it was discussed in the CNN NHL rumours section...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/scor....nhl/index.html

One hour of practice wasn't sufficient for Avs coach Joel Quenneville; after a resurfacing of the ice by the Zamboni, his players trudged back out for nearly another hour's worth of drills, capped off at the end by a "bag skate" - so named for the bags you see in the pouches in airline seats in case of illness. The grueling practice can safely be considered punishment from Quenneville for what he feels has been insufficient effort by his team of late.

-- Denver Post

in one of my junor camps, my coach came out with 2 garbage cans and placed them between the hash marks on both ends. He just said "skate" and before i knew it we were doing laps at full speed. After about 5 min or so i started to see players hunched over the garbage cans, puking. It went on for about for a good 45 min before we started to do shooting drills. One of the hardest camps i have every been to in my life.

Some of the guy on our team got caught drinking the night b4 training. Lets just say the coach wasnt to pleased. He put a bin in the middle of the ice and skated all of us. We wernt alloud to leave the ice untill eveyone was sik in the bin. and even afta everyone was sik..... We still had to skate. I laugh about it now. It wasnt to funny at the time tho.

Haringay?

A bag skate is exactly what was done in Miracle.

Yeah I figured as much...I was expecting an "I skated my bag off" response...

I suppose that fits...

I puked one time in a tryout. Actually 5-6 of us did. For Statewars team.

And I'll answer it now since I bet all of you will ask - Did I make it since I puked?

Yea, turns out everyone that went off the rink to puke made it. Guess they saw it as how hard we were trying.

This one other time my coach had a no puck practice but it wasnt crazy intense. He gave us like three -two minute breaks but it still hurt.

Well mine isnt from hockey, but its still relevant.

We had a workout where we had a minumum of 10x1000m. You had to make a specific time within those 10 sets or you had to keep going until you made it.

Then after that we had "distance" and "wind sprints" to do.

Haringay?

No, at haringey no one would turn the nest week if the coach did that :angry:

He was reffering to his jr B team in Canada

It did not happens a lot to me, but it happens one time to one of my friends and also teamates who will always remember. Anyway, after a bad home game, the coach Pat Roy said to stay with the equipment and wait for the journalist to go home and also all the attendance, and they skated real hard. It must suck so much....

You play for the Remparts?

And I'll answer it now since I bet all of you will ask - Did I make it since I puked?

Yea, turns out everyone that went off the rink to puke made it. Guess they saw it as how hard we were trying.

This one other time my coach had a no puck practice but it wasnt crazy intense. He gave us like three -two minute breaks but it still hurt.

Funny you said that because at my state wars tryout, we were about mid way through when one of the instructors was telling us that at another state try-out about half the kids had thrown up by now. What team did you play on?

I have had many expierences where my coaches have skated us to exhaustion, but nothing crazy enough to where i have a vivid story to tell. I dont think i ever threw up.... may have thought i was gunna throw up... but never actually did.

Funny you said that because at my state wars tryout, we were about mid way through when one of the instructors was telling us that at another state try-out about half the kids had thrown up by now. What team did you play on?

I have had many expierences where my coaches have skated us to exhaustion, but nothing crazy enough to where i have a vivid story to tell. I dont think i ever threw up.... may have thought i was gunna throw up... but never actually did.

He played for illinois I think

Yes, it was the Illinois 90 team. It pissed me off too because like our 91's or 89's didnt have such a hard workout that they all puked. I guess our 90 age had alot of close competition so they wanted to see who had endurance.

When I talked to some friends that played on Missouri and Wisconson, their tryout wasnt hard either to the point where they puked.