Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BK

Grilling recipes

I like grilled apples, pineapples, and mangos. I guess this isn't really a recipe, but at least it's easy.

cooks.com fool

Epuck has "reviews" on their products too.. but I would rather come here and hear it. :lol:

Theres nothing like a down-home grilling recipe. If I wanted a recipe from some chump using a bottle of bullseye telling me what kind of red wine would be ideal with it, I would watch the food network.

I grill most of the time I'm home in the summer, here's one of my favorites:

Mix powdered ginger and teriyaki sauce until it is thick, but still liquid. Marinate for 30 minutes, minimum. Grill and serve with brown rice and a steamed veggie. Quick, easy and healthy.

I usually use a little soy when I grill my steaks to make sure the steak sears properly and the natural juices are locked in. High heat when you put the steak on the grill and back it down as soon as you throw the meat on.

For those who aren't concerned with healthy recipes. Slice a couple potatoes, nice and thin. Slice up a little onion, I prefer Videlia or white onions. Throw in a foil pan, you can make up one if you have to. Add a stick of butter and let it simmer on the side of the grill while you are cooking the meat. If the heat is too high, you make have to add water, keep an eye on the pan.

I like grilled apples, pineapples, and mangos. I guess this isn't really a recipe, but at least it's easy.

Another thing that's very tasty, and can be used in kebabs or by itself is slices of banana wrapped in bacon/turkey bacon and thrown on the grill. good stuff.

For those who aren't concerned with healthy recipes. Slice a couple potatoes, nice and thin. Slice up a little onion, I prefer Videlia or white onions. Throw in a foil pan, you can make up one if you have to. Add a stick of butter and let it simmer on the side of the grill while you are cooking the meat. If the heat is too high, you make have to add water, keep an eye on the pan.

We do this kind of.

Get some tin foil. Slice potatoes up nice and thin, add some butter, garlic, a bit of onion and some salt and pepper. Wrap it up in the foil in individual servings. Put them on the BBQ along with the steaks. Just toss them on the plate when there done and the foil will keep them warm until your ready to chow down.

Yes we always have those!! And me and my brothers fight for the crispy ones on the bottom!! lol

My opinions on BBQ:

1.The most important aspect of good BBQ is the heat source. Generally most people don't have access to cookers designed specifically for low and slow BBQ. So it's important to make sure you're getting the best fuel sources possible, wood, charcoal, ect....

2.The second most important aspect of good BBQ is using a good dry rub. This is a recipe I've been using for quite a while that is a good base for your dry rub:

2 tablespoons salt

2 tablespoons sugar

2 tablespoons brown sugar

2 tablespoons ground cumin

2 tablespoons chile powder

2 tablespoons freshly cracked black pepper

1 tablespoon cayenne pepper

4 tablespoons paprika

IMO it's important to have enough salt that during the cooking process juices from the meat are being drawn out. It's also important not to have too much sugar as this will carmalize and can burn leaving a bitter flavor to the meat. However, sugar is important for the sweet tasting properties so it is critical that you don't just get rid of sugar altogether. The other thing to remember is to be creative and experiment with altering the rub to your tasts.

3.Personally I'm a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to BBQ and don't tend to use techniques like injections. If you are interested it's important that your choice of injection compliments the flavors in your dry rub.

4.Don't take too much of a hands on approach. I've noticed a lot of the occasional cooks tend to want to open their cooker and check the meat all the time. Every time you open the cooker you're losing heat and effecting the cooking process. Ideally once you close your cooker the next time you open it will be remove the cooked meat.

I grill most of the time I'm home in the summer, here's one of my favorites:

Mix powdered ginger and teriyaki sauce until it is thick, but still liquid. Marinate for 30 minutes, minimum. Grill and serve with brown rice and a steamed veggie. Quick, easy and healthy.

I have a few steaks sitting in my fridge right now for tonight using your recipe. Thanks :)

my wildlife teacher. ( as texan redneck as it gets) just takes a steak and marinates it in zesty italian dressing for 48 hours. no salt pepper or anything else. the acid makes the steak really tender and it tastes really good. couldnt be any easier. steak + italian dressing = best steak around

My opinions on BBQ:

1.The most important aspect of good BBQ is the heat source. Generally most people don't have access to cookers designed specifically for low and slow BBQ. So it's important to make sure you're getting the best fuel sources possible, wood, charcoal, ect....

2.The second most important aspect of good BBQ is using a good dry rub. This is a recipe I've been using for quite a while that is a good base for your dry rub:

2 tablespoons salt

2 tablespoons sugar

2 tablespoons brown sugar

2 tablespoons ground cumin

2 tablespoons chile powder

2 tablespoons freshly cracked black pepper

1 tablespoon cayenne pepper

4 tablespoons paprika

IMO it's important to have enough salt that during the cooking process juices from the meat are being drawn out. It's also important not to have too much sugar as this will carmalize and can burn leaving a bitter flavor to the meat. However, sugar is important for the sweet tasting properties so it is critical that you don't just get rid of sugar altogether. The other thing to remember is to be creative and experiment with altering the rub to your tasts.

3.Personally I'm a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to BBQ and don't tend to use techniques like injections. If you are interested it's important that your choice of injection compliments the flavors in your dry rub.

4.Don't take too much of a hands on approach. I've noticed a lot of the occasional cooks tend to want to open their cooker and check the meat all the time. Every time you open the cooker you're losing heat and effecting the cooking process. Ideally once you close your cooker the next time you open it will be remove the cooked meat.

I tried one today that was really bad.

1/3 cup salt

1/3 cup brown sugar

1 tbsp Cumin

1 tbsp pepper

1 tbsp basil

WAY too salty. As you mentioned, if you have too much sugar it carmelzes. This one was carmelized and was WAY overpowered by the salt. I will give yours a try.

Has anybody mentioned the distinction between grilling and BBQ?

BBQ is for poorer, tougher cuts of meat (shoulder or brisket), cooking slow and covered for 4+ hours until the fat is sucked out (the salt helps). The low heat draws out the fat in the meat, and the fat bastes and tenderizes it. Charcoal or the right kind of wood adds flavour.

Grilling (on the "BBQ") is quick, with higher heat, so higher-quality cuts of meat are needed.

Each uses different recipes.

I have too many recipes to mention.

I'll share a simple one.

Kettle style charcoal grill (after the dogs, steak and burgers... you know, when it's up to temp.)

Skewers jam packed with shrimp.

Throw 'em on to sear.

Baste garlic butter over them (creates tons of smoke and burns the hell out of the eyes).

flip to sear again... repeat basting.

after a short moment, move skewers awat from center heat to roast for about 15 minutes, turn if needed.

great with serloin.

This almost deserves it's own thread :http://shine.yahoo.com/shine-food/bacon-dogs-are-here--thanks--oscar-mayer-162544849.html

Not really a grilling recipe, but here is what I used to make for lunch when I was 19-20 and bartending at a country club (sounds classy but was not) anyway, there was a deep fryer and gridle next to the bar. I would take a hot dog, slice it down the middle and put in a couple of pieces of cheese, maybe some onions. Wrap the hot dog in a couple strips of uncooked bacon, using toothpics at the ends to hold it all together. Drop it in the fryer until the bacon looks cooked and throw it on a grilled , buttered roll.

Salmon on the BBQ is great, healthy and easy...

Get a decent size Salmon steak. I prefer the ones with skin still on. Take a lemon (or orange if you want) and cut it is slices that aren't too thick...line a piece of tin foil with the lemon/orange the same size as the salmon. Lay the fish on the fruit, skin side down. Squeeze a bit of the juice on top and add Montreal Steak spice. Close and Tent the tin foil up. BBQ at around 300 deg for 30-35 minutes.

Great with grilled veggies and/or rice.

Seeing as I just happened to see this after eating steak...

For my money, when it comes to steak I prefer to just ditch the BBQ altogether. If it is a good cut of meat, I'll sprinkle a little bit of salt and pepper on it, and let it sit on the counter as I prepare the rest of the meal. Once I'm ready to cook, I sear all sides of it on a cast iron skillet (a well-seasoned cast iron pan is AWESOME to cook with), and then place it on a broiling pan. Set the oven to 325 with the top of the steak a few inches from the heat source (be careful of splatter), and let it cook a few minutes depending on how you like your steak done. Personally, I go medium rare. For a 2" steak I won't leave it in the oven for more than maybe 5 minutes total, then I take the pan out and let it sit for a few minutes. The center of the steak will continue to cook for a few minutes after it is removed from the heat source, and if you leave it on the broiling pan/rack, it won't get overly soggy from sitting in the juices too long.

If I'm not using a decent cut, sometimes I'll marinate in a reduced sodium French Onion soup, and throw some fried portobello mushrooms on the top while it cooks. If I don't have time to marinate, I'll toss the cooked mushrooms into the soup, and whisk some corn starch in to thicken it and pour THAT over the steak as it broils.

Even though I've tried to cut back on the beef, I end up cooking steak a lot - my girlfriend must have some undiagnosed deficiency because she will devour a decent sized steak in no time. I swear it is like watching Jurassic Park sometimes.

not steak but my favorite side for steaks is grilled con on the cob - got it online

gas grill to medium

take corn pull back husks but do not remove/ remove silk/replace husks around corn

soak corn in cold water for 30 minutes

grill corn(covered) in husks 15-20 minutes

remove husks rub corn with your choice of feta/or other dry cheese

squeeze fresh lime over corn

enjoy

I've also used garlic butter and shaken Tony Chachere's creole seasoning for great results

Soul's burgers:

I take a small dish and I put on it a little bit of salt, pepper, and rosemary. I then take the ground meat and need it on top so that the spices get throughout the burger. Grill as you would normal and serve on a toasted bun. For turkey burgers I add some minced onion and garlic powder but it's not needed.

To really do it right I take either blue cheese or gorgonzola (whatevers in the house) and chop it up with some mushrooms until it's pastelike then out that on my burgers after the final flip. Top with a little bit of peter lugers steak sauce and you're set

Hey, I know its a little bit different, but any of you (college) guys ever cook on a George Foreman grill? Thats all we're allowed in our apartment complex as we're not allowed actual grills (so steak is pretty much out), and all we use it for is burgers and sausage for our eggs. What other kinda stuff can you cook on it and of course what do you to do to make it taste better, it seems to dry everything out so much.

I know I'm 6 years late to this party and this may have been answered (didn't read the entire thread), but I used a George in college as well and STILL have that sucker going strong (13 years later).

I usually do brats, hotdogs and chicken breasts on it. That George is almost as awesome as hockey. Almost.