Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jro2711

changing flex on a stick

recently i went from a 50 flex to a 65, but i had to cut it like 8 inches so now its like 90. MY SHOT SUCKS.

Any advice?

If you knew you had to cut of 8 inches, why did you buy a 65 flex?

You're going to have to go with what you feel is the lesser of the two evils. What's more important to you: being able to shoot the puck, or having a bit of extra money in your pocket? Personally, I've always felt that being completely comfortable with your equipment is the most important thing and worth the extra money it might cost you...either at the point of purchase or, as in your case, in the long run.

If you're having to use 50-65 flex's I don't think you're going to have a very good slapshot. Not always, I remember when I used to use the original Synergy in 50 flex my shot was very hard. After that, I went to a 75 flex and then 100 flex when the Stealth came out and my shot never suffered. Don't know how to help.

and a softer flexing still SHOULD be more resilliant assuming there isnt user error involved. every one uses the spaghetti symbolizim, think of a wet noodle and a dry one, one flexes one is stiffer, the stiffer will break faster. all in therory but there are so many things that go into the equasion that its hard to completly go by that therory.

I don't know if this makes sense, but I've always found using a wood blade with a standard shaft makes it feel more whippy. Maybe try an intermediate shaft and wood blade?

and a softer flexing still SHOULD be more resilliant assuming there isnt user error involved. every one uses the spaghetti symbolizim, think of a wet noodle and a dry one, one flexes one is stiffer, the stiffer will break faster. all in therory but there are so many things that go into the equasion that its hard to completly go by that therory.

Exactly. It's just like the question: What's easier to pop... A fully inflated balloon or one that's soft and a little deflated? The first one.

But you should stop hitting the ice 4 inches in front of the puck. You probably are just going to break sticks of any flex with bad technique.

Junior sticks are not made to the same standards as senior or even intermediate sticks.

If you need to get some flex back in your stick, try an Oggie grip. Joe had a machine at the trade show that showed how putting one of his grips in your stick can help make it more fexible than before you put it in.

Junior sticks are not made to the same standards as senior or even intermediate sticks.

If you need to get some flex back in your stick, try an Oggie grip. Joe had a machine at the trade show that showed how putting one of his grips in your stick can help make it more fexible than before you put it in.

how are they not the same, Is it like the Jr. St doesnt have 3 i beams or is it because the walls aren't as thick. Can you explain a little bit more please?

how are they not the same, Is it like the Jr. St doesnt have 3 i beams or is it because the walls aren't as thick. Can you explain a little bit more please?

It's downspec'd - more fibreglass in the shaft because it's more forgiving than graphite (kids must be able to flex it) and it keeps costs down.

cut stick more + add oggie = more flex.

sounds counterintuitive that a shorter shaft would have more flex, but that's what the oggie does for ya.

I helped Joe Casasanta in his booth this past January at the Toronto show.

He created a machine which measured flex in the middle of the stick. We were using two three-foot lengths of the same sticks that were cut at the same spot and to the same length, EXCEPT one was actually cut six inches shorter, then had an Ergo Grip added to make the two sticks the same length. They were 50 flex but Joe's machine unusally measured the plain stick at 49 flex, while the Ergo stick generally was measuring at 42 to 43 flex.

Since yours is a stick, while we we using stick fragments, I have no idea how much flexier your 65 flex would be, but I know it will be flexier than it was prior to adding the Oggie.

I helped Joe Casasanta in his booth this past January at the Toronto show.

He created a machine which measured flex in the middle of the stick. We were using two three-foot lengths of the same sticks that were cut at the same spot and to the same length, EXCEPT one was actually cut six inches shorter, then had an Ergo Grip added to make the two sticks the same length. They were 50 flex but Joe's machine unusally measured the plain stick at 49 flex, while the Ergo stick generally was measuring at 42 to 43 flex.

Since yours is a stick, while we we using stick fragments, I have no idea how much flexier your 65 flex would be, but I know it will be flexier than it was prior to adding the Oggie.

Joe should have a decent guess by now. Having measured a decent number of shafts and OPS, it should give him some idea how much flex will be added for each stick.