Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tsanga

Hasek sucks

I always thought his snow-angel-desperately-flopping-around style was pretty bush league, but this is just wreckless BS in a game when you're already throttling the other team.

Granted, Gaborik really, really needs to keep his head up for a world class player, but this play is illegal in every sport except football, and even then there are rules on clipping and tripping.

Alright, rant over.

Ken and Mickey were having a discussion for a while after the play. I agree with them, Hasek didn't have many choices.

His defense obviously aren't going to catch one of the best skaters in the league, so he has 2 choices.

1. Let him take the breakaway and make a shot. Dom hasn't seen action all night and is out of form, that has 75% chance to end in a goal, change the pace of the game, ruin the shutout and the Wings' dominance.

2. Take action, come out and make the play. I've seen plenty of flying pad stacks at the top of the circle over the years, most have the shooter jump or otherwise try to avoid it. Gaborik had his head down and got rocked, just as if a defenseman skated from behind the net and took him out.

Dom got 2 minutes just because Gabby took a pretty nasty flip and landed hard, and the Wings were slaughtering them.

9 times out of 10, that's no penalty. Hasek made contact with the stick and puck first, made the play and the unsuspecting forward got rocked.

I agree on a 2 minute call. If Hasek had got the puck first with a poke check then there wouldn't have been anything. Goalies are taught from day 1 that if you have a guy coming in with his head down to go right at them. Textbook maneuver.

Ken and Mickey were having a discussion for a while after the play. I agree with them, Hasek didn't have many choices.

His defense obviously aren't going to catch one of the best skaters in the league, so he has 2 choices.

1. Let him take the breakaway and make a shot. Dom hasn't seen action all night and is out of form, that has 75% chance to end in a goal, change the pace of the game, ruin the shutout and the Wings' dominance.

2. Take action, come out and make the play. I've seen plenty of flying pad stacks at the top of the circle over the years, most have the shooter jump or otherwise try to avoid it. Gaborik had his head down and got rocked, just as if a defenseman skated from behind the net and took him out.

Dom got 2 minutes just because Gabby took a pretty nasty flip and landed hard, and the Wings were slaughtering them.

9 times out of 10, that's no penalty. Hasek made contact with the stick and puck first, made the play and the unsuspecting forward got rocked.

1. With less than 3 minutes left in the game, giving up a goal wouldn't change the game a lot, and I don't think anyone would have questioned the Wings' dominance.

2. Hasek didn't even make an attempt to lead with the stick. That was a two-legged leg sweep for a low cut-block tackle.

The debate I like to put into question, is that he's a goalie comes out of his crease and does that to a play. If a player so much as makes contact with a goalie it's almost lights out for him. I don't want to say he should be fair game,,but I don't think he shouild be able to do that either.

[1. With less than 3 minutes left in the game, giving up a goal wouldn't change the game a lot, and I don't think anyone would have questioned the Wings' dominance.

It might not have made any differnce but as a struggling goal tender why would you want to take any chance in getting your shutout reuined. Hasek as always played that way and he's going to do everything he can to play hard so he doesn't loose his starting spot.

make the goalie fair game and he would definately hesitate to do that alot. Plus it would cause more fights which i do like to see.

I dont have a problem with it, He hit the puck before he clipped his legs. If you don't want that to happen look up, side step the goalie and score an empty net goal.

I think 2 minutes is the right call in this situation, but Gaborik has got to have his head up. Hard to tell if he was going for the puck or at his legs, though.

well that is clipping the feet from under someone, if Gaborik did not see him he could of fell face first...

If thats legal for a goalie to hit you like that then it should be legal for a player to blast him if hes playing the puck out of his crease...

Penalty easily.

There's:

a) Tripping a player

B) Using a poke check to poke the puck away

c) A slide tackle.

I think this one's C

even if gabs did lift his head up, every thing seemed so happen so fast he would have to have one hell of a verticle to jump over hasek

He was really lucky he didnt seriously hurt himself with that 9/10 front flip he did (poor landing)

Goalies should be fair game out of their crease. At least the general area of the net anyhow. They have twice the padding, and there would be no need for those ridiculous trapezoids behind the net. I'm a Wings fan, but even after I saw that, I thought it was a little ridiculous. 2 minutes was perfectly acceptable. He did trip him didn't he? Yes.

Goalies should be fair game out of their crease. At least the general area of the net anyhow. They have twice the padding, and there would be no need for those ridiculous trapezoids behind the net. I'm a Wings fan, but even after I saw that, I thought it was a little ridiculous. 2 minutes was perfectly acceptable. He did trip him didn't he? Yes.

Goalie equipment is made to protect them from the puck, not the normal pounding that a guy takes in a corner. Not to mention the amount of money invested in them by teams and the fact that there aren't many goalies to go around once the injuries start piling up from the Avery's and Carcillo's of the world who go open season on goalies.

Usually the goalies aren't at the top of the crease sliding at your knees. In an ideal world his head should've been up, but it's not uncommon to see a player dip his head and sprint away like Gaborik did there. It's still a trip and a 2 minute penalty.

Thing is you can't expect him to have his head up the entire way. Yes, he's in the NHL he should keep his head up, but he just got the puck looked down to control it. I don't get the ridiculous announcers. Like clearly do not know much about hockey. The one guy says "well what is the goalie supposed to do?" in his defense.....I don't know perhaps what every other goalie in the league does and stay and take the shot? Are you kidding me? 999 out of 1000 times that would not happen, and all of a sudden its his only option? gimme a break. Hasek is classless. It reminds me of when he knocked the net over on purpose when he saw yashin Coming on a break away way back when.

Gaborik keeps his head up, and this is a non issue.

Hes got his head down trying to settle a rolling/bouncing puck. If youre coming down on a normal goalie, youre expecting to go in and take a shot... not the biggest douch bag goalie in the league trying to play the body on you.

Gaborik keeps his head up, and this is a non issue.

i think the issue is hasek skating out, hitting the ice, putting his legs out first and covering his head. he knew exactly what he was doing. gabby's head up or not he was going to take him out. its a bad play. he messed up (once again). man up and make the save dom.

Thing is you can't expect him to have his head up the entire way. Yes, he's in the NHL he should keep his head up, but he just got the puck looked down to control it. I don't get the ridiculous announcers. Like clearly do not know much about hockey. The one guy says "well what is the goalie supposed to do?" in his defense.....I don't know perhaps what every other goalie in the league does and stay and take the shot? Are you kidding me? 999 out of 1000 times that would not happen, and all of a sudden its his only option? gimme a break. Hasek is classless. It reminds me of when he knocked the net over on purpose when he saw yashin Coming on a break away way back when.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Daniels

The play-by-play, Ken Daniels

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mickey_Redmond

2 Stanly Cup winner, linemate of Alex Delvecchio, Mickey Redmond, the color commentator

They know what they're talking about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Daniels

The play-by-play, Ken Daniels

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mickey_Redmond

2 Stanly Cup winner, linemate of Alex Delvecchio, Mickey Redmond, the color commentator

They know what they're talking about.

They may know what they are talking about, but that play calling was 100% homerville. Hasek is one of my all time fav. goalies, but for the announcer to say "What else could he do!!??" is complete idiocracy.

I think the 2 min penelty was enough, but it was quite a stupid thing for him to do, especially given the time, score, and (at this point in the year) meaninglessness of the game (compared to a playoff match)

Thanks for reminding of Hasek's "accidentally" knocking the net off its moorings at inopportune times. I'm not sure where they teach that in goaltending school. The thought of it makes me want to wretch.

I don't know where in goaltending school they teach flopping around like a dead fish, either.

Let's put it this way - if a defenseman double-stacked his shin pads and slid at a skater on a breakaway, would that be a trip? I think that'd be an easy call regardless of if he got the puck first.