Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DBLMINR

Stinky Gear

I wash all my "soft" stuff, like socks, jock without the cup, jerseys, shirts, shin guard inners when mine had the removeable ones. do that like every 10 skates or so, and air out always after every skate, outside in the summer. can't stand wet cold equipment, I can understand softening up the mitts but anything else has gotta be dry.

i never dry my gear out if i can help it, i hate the feeling of dry shinpads.

Thats why I love hockey in the winter, my shinpads get cold on the way to the rink too/

I also use the Febreeze Antimicrobial spray, but I do it after every game and my equipment has little to no smell.

my gear stays in my bag except for my skates, shins, and elbows which I air out...theres NOTHING worse than wet skates especially since I play barefoot

oh and my gear is probably the grossest smelling shit you'll ever have the misfortune of smelling

Normally, you dont wanna wash gloves in a washing mashine since it is like an invitation for baterica to party in those gloves, but when i had an old pair of gloves i just needed for off ice practice i tried it and somehow it did not go wrong. I wouldnt do that again and especially not with a good pair of mitts.

always air my gear out on the rack in the garage after games....

Same here.....I only have to wash my shoulder pads and shinuard liners and spray my gloves with lysol once a month because airing it out after each use takes care of a lot of the problem, IMO.

air outside after every session. Doesnt go back into the bag till the day before the next one. I made a rack and have some tarp to cover it from the rain (doesnt rain in Perth that often), and there isnt much smell. Gloves are washed once every 2-3 months with disinfectant.

I may try the bathtub one next time...

i may also try the bath tub trick as well. My gloves are the worst right now cause i didnt want to harm them in the washing machine. Its good to hear that some of us are trying to keep the stench to a tolerable level.lol

Skip the gloves on that one though fellas...not a good idea....but just a little soap...give her a mild scrub and let er sit. Works great, the water is just dirty as all hell afterwards. If you can just let it hang out of the sun, otherwise you get that crusty feeling to everything.

Yea, its out of the sun's direct light. Have it covered under some tarp that covers the whole rack setup. So far, the mission gloves have lasted 3 years of once to twice weekly use. Only the stiching has really given me problems, but the palms are pretty much in good nick.

I also use the Febreeze Antimicrobial spray, but I do it after every game and my equipment has little to no smell.

I'll 3rd the Febreeze spray

Mist everything after each game and air dry. I always launder the underarmor tho

-Elwood

I wash the gear twice a year, with Dettol and oil soap. The Dettol kills the bacteria, and the oil soap doesn't dry out the leather as much as detergents can.

Hey guys,

I have a cheap suggestion. I make up my own "poor man's " fabreeze using only 99% pure Isopropyl (alcohol) mixed half and half with distilled water. I put it in a spray bottle and apply it generously after every game. It's not perfect but the alcohol kills the odor from the bacteria and if need be I apply it again after it dries (time permittting). The great things is that it's cheaper than Fabreeze and it doesn't leave perfumy smell.

Hope that helps. Game On!

I'm always looking for a great way to clean my gear, my house is pretty small and I dont have a porch or anything to spread and air dry the gear out. I pretty much keep in in the bag with the zipper open and it smells like shit forever

I'd recommend half hydrogen peroxide and half alcohol mixture in a spray bottle. It might take a few times.

I always air everything out well and my gear doesn't smell(except my old vector elbows, couldn't open those up) so I dont use that method... BUT one of my friends leaves his gear in his bag a lot so I recommended that to him. He's been using it since and now I dont mind sitting next to him in the locker room.

I think I'm just going to burn my shin pads. They're about 12 years old, and smell like they're made out of dead animals.

But yeah, I generally air everything out after an icetime, and wash the non-hard stuff fairly regularly.

btw, if you have a fan, USE IT! Still air doesn't do much for air-ing your gear out. Of course, it will only work for soo long before it gets the funk.

cant leave my gear on the balcony becuase it rains everyday here, so I put the rack up in the bathtub ( the woman loves this btw ) I think the exhaust fan helps pull some of the smell away.. that could be all in my mind though.

The really easy solution is Lysol Anti-Bacterial, air it out a few days and bam, it's as good as new. I was really surprised how easy peasy lemon squeezy this was!

Or Febreze. Works wonders on goalie chest protectors from what I hear, and great for skates as that's what I typically use it for.