Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

masterpeice_patrice

pick up hockey (shinny) pet peeves

That goalie shouldn't be there if he isn't properly equipped or capable of handling the level of play.

Law, I blew a slap shot past a goalie yesterday morning at 8:30 AM pickup, top corner, stick side from the top of the circles (I was as surprised as anyone) I look to the guy I got the pass from and give him the obligatory nod. Next thing I know I turn around and have the goalie in my face letting me know, "Could have took my head off man!" I did not even have a comeback, I was flabbergasted by this.

Cool. I didn't know your slapper was that strong, Joe.

Like I said, I was as surprised as anyone else; especially given I whiffed and fell flat on my face when I attempted a one-timer earlier. Plenty of time to lean into it I guess.

Theres a difference between taking a "hard shot" and pulling a clapper from 20 feet out. I hate when guys wind up from the hash marks in pickup, pretty low class, IMHO...and I'm not a tender.

Big one tonight, people with no spacial awareness at all. One guy was out there skating as hard as he could (which I don't mind) but he was so completely oblivious to his surroundings and other players on the ice that he was involved in numerous BIG open ice collisions. I was the first, loose puck he and I both went for it, I pulled up a bit because it's drop-in and I don't want to hurt anyone. Johnny Freight Train drops his shoulder, lowers his head, and cleans my clock with a hit to my chest. I know things like this happen, it's hockey, but he went on to do this 4-5 more times to other people throughout the night. He also had a habit of carrying his stick at eye level. Guy was completely reckless and really could have messed someone up pretty badly. Hell, my ribs hurt.

Law, I blew a slap shot past a goalie yesterday morning at 8:30 AM pickup, top corner, stick side from the top of the circles (I was as surprised as anyone) I look to the guy I got the pass from and give him the obligatory nod. Next thing I know I turn around and have the goalie in my face letting me know, "Could have took my head off man!" I did not even have a comeback, I was flabbergasted by this.

I would have told the goalie to grow a pair or go home. That's a normal shot and if it happens here and there in a game to me its fair play. When people start taking full power slap shots at your head repeatedly or start taking them in the slot 6 feet out, then its obnoxious and poor etiquette in a drop in. As I have said before, I won't go an whine on the ice, I and other goalies I know will just let the shot go in and 99% of the time, the guys get it. If anyone really thinks this is just the goalie being a wimp or "its hockey deal with it", I wonder how the attitude would change when a goalie sticks a player between the legs on a full speed breakaway going for the poke check and he ends up in the boards, its hockey...

That's so laughable, Joey. What he should have done was got in your face and said, "Nice shot."

I'm pretty picky about where I'll play, so there's really only been one time since I got back in the game that I actually had someone headhunt me. A guy who clearly thought himself god's gift to shinny had got nowhere with me in the first 40min, and started cherry-picking. After the first three breakways also got him nothing but a fall into the boards, he got another, wound up from the hash-marks, and hit me in the chin in my stance. Ordinarily, I don't care if I get hit in the head: I have a good mask for a reason, and the shell's covered for life. This guy was not intending to score: from that angle, the puck would have hit the scoreboard above the glass behind the net. It wasn't a scoring play. I let the puck fall down into my glove, tossed it to my stick, and fired it right back at him as he turned up ice. I figured it'd be a warning shot, but the hockey gods put it right into his ear.

That's not to say I haven't been hit. I had a guy dent my cage from about five feet out back in August when I went to the VH against the post. I was covering the top corner with my face, and he saw an opening. Fair enough. I should have had my glove active enough to protect my face, really.

When goaltenders don't show up, even though they get to play for free.

I guess if you were to shoot against a shoot tutor in a pick-up game, scoring on Luongo would make you think you were NHL ready...

lou_tutor.jpg

Went to my first pickup today in >6 months. Now I remember why.

Other than the guys who find it necessary to take 10+ minute shifts, I must say:

I hate "Steelers"

For some reason when I was in the D-zone, some guys thought it would be funny to shoot/pass/slash other peoples blades. If I were a LHS sharpener/owner, I would absolutely LOVE this. in fact, I'd probably be the one doing it lol.

Like I said, I was as surprised as anyone else; especially given I whiffed and fell flat on my face when I attempted a one-timer earlier. Plenty of time to lean into it I guess.

It's that new 75 flex that's doing it for ya...

I have a question for you guys in regards to shinny/pick up in regards to shift length. I've been injured for the past 10 months (torn ligament in my ankle) and my stamina is fairly non-existent, but have been thinking about going to play some pick up to see how the ankle will hold up. My concern is that I am most likely going to take very short shifts due to my stamina and how well my ankle holds up. My question for you guys is it a pet peeve of anyone's when people take very short shifts or sit out every other shift? Thanks in advance for the help!

I have a question for you guys in regards to shinny/pick up in regards to shift length. I've been injured for the past 10 months (torn ligament in my ankle) and my stamina is fairly non-existent, but have been thinking about going to play some pick up to see how the ankle will hold up. My concern is that I am most likely going to take very short shifts due to my stamina and how well my ankle holds up. My question for you guys is it a pet peeve of anyone's when people take very short shifts or sit out every other shift? Thanks in advance for the help!

No, not at all. I love it lol. Easpecially when it's a full house and that person sets the trend of doing quick shifts.

Pet peeve: rinks charging goalies to play. It's hard enough to get goalies out on a continuous basis. And rinks not following cap limit policies.

I'm with PuckHoggy, everyone should be taking short shifts regardless of their conditioning level. It keeps everyone warm and in the flow of the game. Two thumbs up for short shifts for everyone :biggrin:

Pet peeve: rinks charging goalies to play. It's hard enough to get goalies out on a continuous basis. And rinks not following cap limit policies.

Under no circumstances should goalies be charged for any stick time or pick up.

Also, I filled in for a friend last night for a B1 adult league game. (I'm a goaltender.) One of the players on our team played the whole game without a helmet. Refs never said anything. I asked my friend about it and he said the guy has been doing it for years. He was probably in the 45-50 year old range. Strange sight. God help him if he ever gets hit.

Under no circumstances should goalies be charged for any stick time or pick up.

Also, I filled in for a friend last night for a B1 adult league game. (I'm a goaltender.) One of the players on our team played the whole game without a helmet. Refs never said anything. I asked my friend about it and he said the guy has been doing it for years. He was probably in the 45-50 year old range. Strange sight. God help him if he ever gets hit.

There's a goalie at my home rink that shows up here and there in ranger's retro gear from the 70's with an old school fiberglass mask. Probably played with that equipment when he was younger (he's in his 60's?). To us its weird but to him he's used to it, but still crazy considering what players do with the puck nowadays compared to in the past

Theres a difference between taking a "hard shot" and pulling a clapper from 20 feet out. I hate when guys wind up from the hash marks in pickup, pretty low class, IMHO...and I'm not a tender.

Yeah man had some experience like that last spring when i came back after dental surgery from a puck to the face... a 15 year old took a slapshot from the blueline which whizzed right by my face, all i was thinking was 600 more dollars and a few more hours in the dentist chair

The way we do it is basically you don't want to be taking really hard slapshots through traffic.

I personally don't care, because most of the guys I play with have a harder wrist shot than a slapshot. Also, I'm wearing equipment and playing hockey. I play in a beer league where slapshots are allowed, so it seems strange that guys are so against them. I understand you have "more control" with a wrister (and I put that in quotes because the guys I play with, including me, really don't have control) but you're still playing a game where you're supposed to shoot a puck.

Guy I play with at a pickup doesn't wear a helmet, but the kicker is that he can't skate. I mean, I've played with some guys who refuse to wear a helmet, but they're, you know, very good. This guy is just waiting for some brain damage. And I feel bad for the guy who bumps into him or deflects a shot into him and has to deal with hurting him because he won't protect himself. If I ran that game, I'd tell him to wear a helmet or stop coming.

I can't believe a rink would let someone out there without a helmet. The other day a guy just skated across the ice to go to the bathroom without his bucket on and the rink manager had a fit.

My peeve over the last couple weeks: when Christmas break hits the rink decides the age restrictions on drop-in hockey go out the friggin' window. I wouldn't be inclined to care, but they show up in groups all wearing matching jerseys and refuse to change regardless of how lopsided the game gets. There's a distinct tendency to refuse to pass to anyone that isn't wearing one of their matching jerseys regardless of talent level. Nor do they seem to be aware that the goalies get PO'ed when they pull idiotic trick shots they'd never dare attempt in a game for good reason. We end up with one goalie often enough, I don't want them staying at home for a couple weeks after it ends because they're brassed off.

i hate when people dont bring pucks

i hate when people drink my water

i hate when people think they are in the show

i hate when people are a 1 man show

i hate when people dont have shin tape and use mine

i hate when players of higher skill steal the puck off people who have clearly played no more than like 3 times. geez, give em a chance to feel good about themselves

We are always looking for a puck. But the last time i brought one i never got it back. so i stoped bringing them. The last time i played a kid looked at me " Hey did you bring a puck?"

We are always looking for a puck. But the last time i brought one i never got it back. so i stoped bringing them. The last time i played a kid looked at me " Hey did you bring a puck?"

I've had kids steal my puck (as in, the one I personally brought) while I'm using it. :mad: