Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

masterpeice_patrice

pick up hockey (shinny) pet peeves

I use a stick bag for the purpose of protecting my car from the sticks (sliding around and dirtying up the interior). I like to keep my car clean. I agree with Chippa though that unless you have a medical condition or are a goalie, no need for a wheel bag.

I like a wheeled bag, so I got one. I don't care if folks with nothing more important to think about want to chirp. No one ever has.

I have a stick bag because it's the easiest way to carry a stick while biking to practice. (as a coach. I haven't yet figured out how to bring all my gear on my bike for a pickup or league game. skates/gloves/helmet in a duffel fit nicely on my bike's rear rack.) I prefer a carry bag because my primary modes of transit would make a wheel bag impractical, but to each their own. I've seen players using wheel bags, carry-on bags, traditional hockey bags, backpacks, wheel bags, shopping bags. If it gets from A to B, more power to you.

I used to use a stick bag for carrying three or four sticks to ball hockey. I always needed a few because they:

a) Broke quickly on the cement floor.

b) Guys on my team would constantly need to borrow one.

Now I just carry them for ice. I actually find it easier than buggering around with a bag.

As far as wheeled bags go, I find them more annoying than anything, in terms of being able to move and to shove into my trunk. It's also just a personal quirk that I feel I should carry my equipment (I think young kids should have to carry it all the time, just to learn to respect their gear).

That said, a lot of guys seem to like those locker bags, and they do seem convenient. I just can't do it. But I've never given someone crap for it.

Guys that consistently fail to headman the puck or wait too long to pass. Skate faster or dish it already!

This one is really starting to get to me. I understand if I'm covered and you have a lane, but I hate when I guy brings it from our own zone and tries to dangle his way in. Now, you get no support because I have to start from a dead stop again.

At pickup, if someone does that a lot, I'll just stand at the blue line and let the guy go do all the work himself.

As far as wheeled bags go, I find them more annoying than anything, in terms of being able to move and to shove into my trunk.

That sounds like it's more about size. The two wheels and collapsible handle on my S19 bag don't really make it bigger, and it also has the normal carry handles. I'll admit that it doesn't scrunch quite (though almost) as well, but it slides nicely into my trunk.

I agree with Chippa though that unless you have a medical condition or are a goalie, no need for a wheel bag.

Some would say that being a goalie is a medical condition... or so I'm told it will be classified in DSM V.

Guys that consistently fail to headman the puck or wait too long to pass. Skate faster or dish it already!

Got that right!! Going offsides on purpose a few times after they fail to move the puck usually sends the message.

This one is really starting to get to me. I understand if I'm covered and you have a lane, but I hate when I guy brings it from our own zone and tries to dangle his way in. Now, you get no support because I have to start from a dead stop again.

We have a couple guys that never pass it until everyone else has to come to a stop at the blue line. I really need to video a game and show it to them.

We have a couple guys that never pass it until everyone else has to come to a stop at the blue line. I really need to video a game and show it to them.

We usually will stop playing and watch our 'teammate' attempt to dangle everyone this gets the point across.

Whenever I'm on with a guy who just makes me wait at the blue line I'll just change up and let him be someone else's problem.

Go to pickup tonight while I'm visiting home, what do I see?

13-15 year old kid, helmet with no chinstrap or shield/visor with his gold chain hanging out

Only in NY

I hate when multiple people show up from a certain team and they never leave the ice, and pass only to each other. It was bad one morning I just went to the locker room switched to white and played against them. They were complaining they only had 6 guys after 4 of us switched over. Oh well.

Goalies who play games way, way above their level, and are whingingly humourless about it: complain bitterly one week about being "on the team that got killed," then complain about the same thing next week when he switches teams, even though the teams are materially the same.

To be clear, I don't care if another goalie comes out and get shelled; saves me skating end to end every ten minutes when I could be doing some edge-work. I don't even care if he's a little bitter about it, particularly if the level of the skate was misrepresented to him. What annoys me is when a guy is so clearly out of his depth that he actually makes displays of indifference and stops trying to make saves, yet shows up week after week after week AND moans about it and all the supposed iniquities of modern hockey. Your fellow goalie is not a bloody Agony Aunt.

Oh, I completely get that. I'd never discourage another goalie from showing up to a skate, period: it's a disservice to the skaters. I've played just enough pickup skating out to know how boring playing off the bars can get. If the organizers need the guy, it's not my place to censure him. I just find it unbelievably annoying when another abuses that privilege by assuming not only that he can play in a game he really can't, but complaining endlessly about it. Everyone knows goalies are in shorter supply than they should be; still doesn't give us an excuse to be dicks, whether verbally or by playing dangerously, and least of all to one another.

Side-story: there was one guy I used to play against occasionally who would full-on Billy-Smith guys in front of the net, and if they complained, he'd threaten not to come back. Took a long time for anyone to call him on it-- and he still kept showing up!

I played pickup Sunday night and one of the goalies slid into my skates during warmups. That was pretty annoying.

So he accidentally fell and collided with you?