Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

masterpeice_patrice

pick up hockey (shinny) pet peeves

I play with a guy who constantly tries to pull slick deke moves (between his legs, etc) but lacks any and all skill. He constatnly turns the puck over at his own blueline.

Both the goalies we reguarly play with know his moves and poke check him constantly.

5 of the 7 guys on the other side thought they were NHL allstars. We had no goalies so we played posts and they would dangle through the zone and shoot at the post when it was 5 feet away. Or they would rip slapshots from the blueline. One of the guys shot right into the chest of my friend and proceeded to yell at him for being in the way. If you got a step on them they would just hook you but if you hooked them they would try to start something. Eventually almost everyone on the side I was on got tired of it and just left the ice.

Wearing propper equiptment... Wear what you want but if it's putting your health at risk don't then reprimand others. The other day this goalie came with this old jofa bubble helmet which had a cage with a plastic piece at the bottom, with the intention of making it to appear to be a propper goaltenders mask. (Perhaps one of the goalies will chime in as to what it actually was. Now i don't go head hunting and I RARLEY take slapshots at drop in but i was on the boards top of the circle and I shot a one timer given there was noone in front of me I did'nt run the risk of hitting someone. The goalie on the other hand dove head first at it and broke the bottom plastic part of his cage. He got pissed at me, its not my fault that thing would of shattered had it been looked at the wrong way.

So I have been playing with pretty much the same group of guys (and sometimes girls) since october on sunday nights and this one guy always brings his son who is about 15 or 16 and his son's friend same age. They aren't very good at all, but we are all there to have some fun. The son actually tries the entire time he is out there on the ice. The friend however almost never tries when he is on D he sits in front of the net and turns his body to where the puck is and then when we are on offense he sits pretty much behind the red line. When he is on offense pretty much the same thing except when the puck is in on our end he sits above our blue line waiting for a break out pass when the other team has the puck... Now that the back story is out of the way the friend scores probably his first goal ever last night which I say good for him he scored finally. Then he scores again. So the rest of the ice time when ever he was out there he is cherry picking waiting for someone to send him that pass so he can get his hatty. Now I am not going to stop someone from getting a hat trick but damn man get back and play defense and if you are going to sit there and cherry pick when i shoot the puck up to you on a perfect tape to tape pass pay attention.

Wearing propper equiptment... Wear what you want but if it's putting your health at risk don't then reprimand others. The other day this goalie came with this old jofa bubble helmet which had a cage with a plastic piece at the bottom, with the intention of making it to appear to be a propper goaltenders mask. (Perhaps one of the goalies will chime in as to what it actually was. Now i don't go head hunting and I RARLEY take slapshots at drop in but i was on the boards top of the circle and I shot a one timer given there was noone in front of me I did'nt run the risk of hitting someone. The goalie on the other hand dove head first at it and broke the bottom plastic part of his cage. He got pissed at me, its not my fault that thing would of shattered had it been looked at the wrong way.

Did it look like this thing hanging off the bottom of Brodeur's chin?

3352206312_394f72cecc.jpg

If so, it's called a 'dangler' (because it hangs down from the mask, not because it lets goalies deke anyone :tongue:), and they are *supposed* (key word) to offer neck protection to goalies who don't like wearing neck guards. In reality, they just make a lot of noise, do nothing to deflect skates or sticks, and break constantly -- they'll break if you hit them with a soft backhand at the wrong angle, or just have a good hard sneeze: nothing but 1/8" of low-grade polycarbonate. They're also quite cheap. They do, however, make a spectacular noise in the ears of the guy wearing them when they break, which is probably why he overreacted. It sounds to me like he accidentally fell forward in attempting to make a butterfly save while adjusting to the pass, took your shot of a piece of a equipment that was designed to protect his neck and did so, then had a hissy fit that was as much about his own embarrassment as anything else. The proper response is to laugh at him.

By the way, the official name for a goalie who wears a player's helmet and cage (which goalies call a 'combo') and most particularly one of those Jofa lids, is a CWD: Combo-Wearing Dork. No offense is meant by this term, since many goalies proudly and loudly wear these antiquated brain-buckets in the face of vastly superior masks, and use this name and acronym to refer to themselves.

...this old jofa bubble helmet which had a cage with a plastic piece at the bottom, with the intention of making it to appear to be a propper goaltenders mask...

Bringing back memories of my youth!

combocoll-002.jpg

Once upon a time... But, yeah, now-a-days I wouldn't even consider it.

That is an awesome collection: all that's missing is one of those absolutely gigantic Jofa cages that extended up about 2" past the top of the helmet, strapped to a 390.

That is an awesome collection: all that's missing is one of those absolutely gigantic Jofa cages that extended up about 2" past the top of the helmet, strapped to a 390.

Like this beauty worn by the Swiss goalie in the women's hockey tournament at the recent Winter Olympics in Vancouver?maskqy.jpg

Um, whats wrong with a stick bag on the bench? Actually what's wrong with a stick bag?

On the same note as my previous pet peeve. Last night there was some guy who would clear out each nostril directly onto the ground after every shift. He would bend over, and blow his nose directly onto the ground. Disgusting.

Nothing really wrong with them, per se, but you won't see traditionalists using them unless flying. Now, wheeled bags, that's another thing altogether.

I use a stick bag, but it stays in the locker room. I've never seen anyone take one to the bench. But, I'd never give someone flak for it. I usually throw a chamois and some anti-fog into my helmet bag and take that to the bench. (Usually just throw my water bottle in there too for easy carry.) It seems nobody else ever does this, but I've never been singled out for it. Just one of those things, I guess. Sometimes one man's peeve is another man's norm. LOL

Now, "snot rockets" on the other hand... It's all good. I mean, what else is one to do? Blow their nose on their sleeve? Take a box of Kleenex to the bench? Some of us just have allergy issues. :p

(Definitely onto the ice though... Not a big fan of almost sitting on a loogie.)

The cage on the left was it actually. lol

Sweet! That was almost exactly my set-up when I was 12 or so except the helmet was white. Couldn't see through that cage for squat. My first cat-eye cage changed my life. LOL

Nothing really wrong with them, per se, but you won't see traditionalists using them unless flying. Now, wheeled bags, that's another thing altogether.

I stopped bringing my stick bag in when someone asked me if it matched my purse! I laughed but then thought whats the point. If I am not flying I don't use it.

I have the same peeve. There's a couple of guys that insist on coming out to lunch time drop in wearing sweats/jeans, skates, gloves, and a helmet. Personally, I think not wearing gear when you know it's going to be a drop in game is stupid, but like you say, it's up to them. At least until they start complaining about getting hit with the puck. I'm sure it does hurt, but that's why they make the damn gear.....

I stopped bringing my stick bag in when someone asked me if it matched my purse! I laughed but then thought whats the point. If I am not flying I don't use it.

It's not a purse! It's European!

Last night there was some guy who would clear out each nostril directly onto the ground after every shift. He would bend over, and blow his nose directly onto the ground. Disgusting.

Sorry about that.

I have a stick bag from back when I went to Canada for hockey camps during the summer. That's the only time it was used. Ever. And it's funny this was brought up, I saw a guy with one last night and thought to myself "A stick bag, really?!" Too damn funny.

There's 2 occassions when it's ok to use a stick bag. 1. When you're flying. You can cram way more sticks into one of those bags than you think. 2. If you're bringing more than 4 sticks with you to wherever it is you're going, and if you're doing that, there's a 90% chance you'll be on a plane.

I'll have to disagree. I think that there is only one time that it's OK to use a stick bag. Whenever the hell you feel like it.

Seriously? Wow. :facepalm:

My stick bag has a pocket in it where i store my tape and wax. I find it easier to go there than to fish through my equipment bag.

I'm gonna have to agree with Wrangler on this one.