Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

masterpeice_patrice

pick up hockey (shinny) pet peeves

I actually enjoy wearing my all yellow Summer Jam jersey to pickup because I can be put on either the light or dark team.

But that illustrates why yellow's not a good color, because it can shift between different pickups, and it takes ten minutes to finally realize you could have passed to the yellow guy since he's on your side this week.

The simplest solution is white and darks. Other than the occasional white jerseys with big stripes of colors on the sleeves, there's never any confusion of who's on what side.

Not a new pet peeve, but a nice bit of commupance... So the usual douche, too cool for school, been coast to coast a dozen times already in the mostly novice pickup, messing up the pace of the whole game... we all know the guy, been talking about him for 48 pages... Anyway, he loses his stick for one reason or another and decides he's going to finish this coast to coast soccer style, just to show us he can. Don't know what he figured he'd do when he got to the goal, but he was 3/4 of the way through the neutral zone when he stepped on the puck and felll backwards on his ass. Talk about satisfying moments. To make matters better, he's too cool to latch the strap on his helmet too and it shifted when he fell, giving him a giant goose egg on the back of his head. I waited to see that he wasn't seriously hurt before I started enjoying my schadefraude, but I have to say I wasn't too disappointed when he missed the next week with a minor concussion. Does that make me evil?

a

I feel like such a dummy. I had too Google 2 words that you used. Lol

Had a 6 year old skate at adult pickup tonight. The dad thinks it cute for him to bring and try to play with full size adults.

Add to the fact that the kid acts like a total little shit the whole time. Takes full swings at peoples legs if people they are near him with the puck. Everyone laughs and thinks it cute. Then the game has to stop when hes out there. They feed him the puck and then everyone just stops skating while the kid goes end to end. What I am supposed to do? Go defend him? The dad is a real douche too. Neck tattoos and all. That explains it.

I don't think I'd want to deal with that, either. If everyone but you likes it, it sounds like you're at the wrong place.

It's because it was his whole beer league team that showed up. So it was his entire team vs all the single players. Ended up being 12 v 9.

Whats even worse is that the dad follows the kid on the breakaway. The kid will take a limp wrister into the goalies pads who is playing along with the kid. Then the dad swoops in and slams home the rebound. It's like once the kid takes the shot all of a sudden the game is back on. The goalie wasn't really fond of the idea but what could he do? He just shrugged it off.

It was a really strange scene.

The dad is a real douche too. Neck tattoos and all. That explains it.

Now now... Don't generalize

I need to film this douche I play with. His Slap Shot is the funniest thing in the entire world. Oh and he takes them during stick and shoots and pickups. And plays 40 minutes each shift.

He is my favorite.

Not sure if this has been mentioned already, but I hate when a dude shows up for a traditional dark vs. white jersey pick up, and decides to wear conflicting colors. For example, yellow or gray.

Reversible jerseys are your friend for pick-up

http://www.totalhockey.com/Product.aspx?itm_id=262&div_id=41

Honestly, if pickup is something you partake in on a regular basis it is one of the best investments that you will make.

Reversible jerseys are your friend for pick-up

http://www.totalhock...d=262&div_id=41

Honestly, if pickup is something you partake in on a regular basis it is one of the best investments that you will make.

Ooh, I like that. I keep a black and a white in my bag all the time, but that would cut down on a little bit of the clutter.

And the laundry... ;)

Gotta agree with goalieman on the Easton reversible jersey. Was gonna pick one up but when I saw them in person I was disappointed with how the white actually looked grey. As a matter of fact, I actually thought i was looking at a grey jersey at first when seeing it from several feet away before I walked up and noticed it was reversible.

For all the people bitching that grey is an unacceptable color...

If you open up the link to the reversible Easton jersey and see the pitch-black on one side and a dimmed white on the other and can't fathom why grey always plays on the lights; you're an idiot. Black absorbs all of the colors of spectrum, white reflects them all, and grey is pretty darn close to reflecting them all as well. If someone at pickup cannot discern that whites and greys go together, well, the person taking 20 minute shifts is probably the least of your shinny problems.

For all the people bitching that grey is an unacceptable color...

If you open up the link to the reversible Easton jersey and see the pitch-black on one side and a dimmed white on the other and can't fathom why grey always plays on the lights; you're an idiot. Black absorbs all of the colors of spectrum, white reflects them all, and grey is pretty darn close to reflecting them all as well. If someone at pickup cannot discern that whites and greys go together, well, the person taking 20 minute shifts is probably the least of your shinny problems.

Think of it like this: whites go in the bleach load, while grays do not.

The simplest answer is for manufacturers not to sell them, but, barring that, the second best solution is for people not to buy them....

But that illustrates why yellow's not a good color, because it can shift between different pickups, and it takes ten minutes to finally realize you could have passed to the yellow guy since he's on your side this week.

The simplest solution is white and darks. Other than the occasional white jerseys with big stripes of colors on the sleeves, there's never any confusion of who's on what side.

I'm not sure what other people do, but if there are colors other than the traditional whites and darks involved, I make sure to see which teams those colors are designated.

J.R or any moderator here I'm honestly very fkn sorry and embarrassed

But I lost my password for masterpiece Patrice and I made this account :(

Apologies ... But damn this thread became a monster

I'm not sure what you're looking for, but you can always PM J.R.

That's what we do, and, sure, it's not black and white, but we seem to manage.

I don't think anyone is saying it's impossible to deal with, just that it's an unnecessary annoyance. If everyone brought a white and a black -- which even for two separate jerseys is a total outlay of what, $25? -- then there's zero issue at all. This is, after all, a pet peeves thread. ;)

I don't see the problem with having off colors in pick up. Grey is naturally white up until charcoal colored. Yellow is white. Everything else is dark. Only people who really should complain are the colorblind, and even then most people who are colorblind see a lot more colors than you would expect (sorry to anyone stuck in the pink/yellow spectrum of color blindness).

We had someone wear the Easton Reversible Jersey and someone wear the gray Reebok practice jersey (which is a darker gray) at our last pickup. Easton was on light, Reebok on dark. Very confusing. Easton was initially wearing dark, but the teams were lopsided.

Still had fun though!