Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

masterpeice_patrice

pick up hockey (shinny) pet peeves

99/100? I've tripped guys more than I care to count, probably triple digits by now..however I could count on one hand how many of those were intentional. In fact in 24 games this season I can probably only think of 2 or 3 trips that were intentional on either side.

The minute you lace your stick between my legs and trip me, I will not avoid hitting, my elbows will come up, and I will slash you any time you have the puck, and maybe give you a shove or two to get you off of the puck. If the puck gets to a linemate after I do that, even better. Shove me back, that's all good. Shove me and lose possession of the puck, even better. And I don't mind dropping the gloves if need be.

To quote Mike Tyson. "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."

I think ^^that ^^ might be one of the things that I do that is probably some people's pet peeve.

Everytime I have unintended contact or accidently cause someone to fall, I feel obligated to stop play and say something to them..."sorry bout that" or "whoops, you alright?" I guess when I'm playing I feel like I'm having so much fun, I dont want anyone to think I'm taking it seriously enough to trip or slash someone on purpose...

Its funny because some people really get pissed at you for this, but as a human being that was taught manners and morals its hard to go against that grain.

I don't usually stop, but I do usually yell "sorry!!" as im skating away.

You're the type of person that makes some of us skaters hate playing because you can't stop and use people to stop and end up injuring people cause of it. Learn how to stop on both edges before playing in a league for the love of anything holy.

He doesn't mean that he can't stop when playing, but rather if he trips anyone by accident, he isn't going to specifically stop his play and go over to check up.

There's a few guys that don't skate well that I usually end up playing with, and they try to pull things that NHLers do in playoffs during pick-up games, little pushes here and there and cross checks like you wouldn't believe. I was back checking and a guy actually reached out and did a Gale Sayers stiff arm on me with his free hand to try and propel himself in front of me to try and open himself up for a pass. Very annoying.

You're the type of person that makes some of us skaters hate playing because you can't stop and use people to stop and end up injuring people cause of it. Learn how to stop on both edges before playing in a league for the love of anything holy.

He doesn't mean that he can't stop when playing, but rather if he trips anyone by accident, he isn't going to specifically stop his play and go over to check up.

^ Yea, this. And not just trips. Accidental collisions, etc as well. Thanks for clearing that up AIREAYE, I was a bit confused where that came from when I read it.

Somebody who acted like that would be off our team the moment they get out of the penalty box.

not getting on you - but just pointing out this is a thread about 'pickup'...

something quite contrary to 'team' - beer league mis-behaviour is a beer league thang.

pickup is sortta like driving the 405, you never know who's in the lanes next to you... and likely you really don;t want to know...

as with any general population, there's always a few who don;t understand the concept of 'pickup'.

Mostly I find the guys who are well schooled players understand the balance and cut everyone slack.

The guys who usually have something to prove, often have very little worth proving...

ocassionally I see a couple guys who are cross-checkin, or otherwise play maulin each other, and they know each other. that's barely tolerable, because if it's a love trist they should take it back to the hotel room...

rarely there's the guy with a chip on his shoulder - thankfully they usually aren't regulars

sadly, back here we have no 'outdoor'. Outdoor pond is true pickup, cause when you don;t have boards you quickly learn it's all about skating and passing, cause retreiving a loose puck, especially on the thin ice end gets old really fast.

sometimes I do miss the ol times...

not getting on you - but just pointing out this is a thread about 'pickup'...

something quite contrary to 'team' - beer league mis-behaviour is a beer league thang.

pickup is sortta like driving the 405, you never know who's in the lanes next to you... and likely you really don;t want to know...

as with any general population, there's always a few who don;t understand the concept of 'pickup'.

Mostly I find the guys who are well schooled players understand the balance and cut everyone slack.

The guys who usually have something to prove, often have very little worth proving...

ocassionally I see a couple guys who are cross-checkin, or otherwise play maulin each other, and they know each other. that's barely tolerable, because if it's a love trist they should take it back to the hotel room...

rarely there's the guy with a chip on his shoulder - thankfully they usually aren't regulars

sadly, back here we have no 'outdoor'. Outdoor pond is true pickup, cause when you don;t have boards you quickly learn it's all about skating and passing, cause retreiving a loose puck, especially on the thin ice end gets old really fast.

sometimes I do miss the ol times...

Yep, agreed.

And yeah, I know the thread is about pickup.

hahah bunny you can't be seriously trying to pull off the internet tough guy bit. just say you were drunk when you typed that and move on.

I wasn't pissed (drunk), but was speaking about one bloke in particular. He trips people, grabs their sticks, and is a general pain in the arse. His skills are actually quite good outside of these peculiar quirks. It is saddening that he takes shinny too far. I would think 9/10 of you lot would have taken exception to his antics if you lot played against him. I have elbowed him, punched him, and we now have a healthy respect for each other. Other than his dirty play, he's alright. Unfortunately, I didn't communicate my intentions and it came across as internet bad ass. My bad.

I have been levelled by others in what was a no- heads up play. In the midst of getting my legs back, I have done the same. I say the "my bad", and the others have said it as well. No cross checks to the throat or silliness like that.

As far as "internet tough guy" bit, I know karate, judo, and other Asian words that mean combat sports. But did not want the internet tough guy thing to come across, but apparently it did. I am no tougher than a wet paper bag. Okay, a bit tougher than that... Again, the internet tough guy thing is silly, and looking over my posts in THIS thread, it came out that way.

Call me names and whatever, but now you know where that was coming from.

Latest pet peeve- everyone wants to be a forward, then gets peeved when the two worst skaters can't play good defence...

Argh!!!! No cross checks, dropping of gloves or other silliness...

So we have been having this little private game going on once a week after hours at this rink. At the time we only had one goalie so I found us another one to play he has been playing with us for the past 4 or 5 weeks now. The other day I get an email from the guy who organizes it "So I found us another goalie who is going to be playing with this group of people in a league and she would like to get used to playing with them can you tell your friend to maybe bring some player gear so he can play out I know he has done that in the past when i have run into him at other rinks". So my goalie friend did not show up last night because he isn't that strong skating out and the caliber of play he feels is over his skill level. The guy who organizes it said "he should have come anyway. I'm not that good"

So that all annoys me because you told the group if we knew a goalie to bring them along and then I find one who shows up all the time doesn't complain about anything and then you tell me to tell him not to come and play goalie because you found someone else.

The guy who organized it then said after I told him that my friend doesn't feel comfortable skating out "well tell him to come next week with his goalie stuff and maybe the goalies can switch out". This is what I told my goalie friend to do originally. The part that really pissed me off was this new goalie last night says "I don't want more then 2 goalies I don't want to switch out at all". I was so taken back by that statement. Its all for fun and we play for two hours and its not like the goalies don't field their fair share of shots its pick up and defense is usually terrible anyway. I just have never heard a goalie say that.

End Rant

Never $%^& with goalies, isnt that the golden rule ?

Ding!!!

There has been a bloke who shows up to play pickup every week for the past three weeks. People dog him all the time about how bad he is. I simply tell them this: "do you want to play against a goalie or put the five hole shooting board up?"

It's tough enough finding guys with the testicular fortitude to play goalie in pick up, why look the gift horse in the mouth?

The coach telling us all what to do that cannot skate. The kid taking 4 minute shifts. The hothead. The guys that bring the wives. Wives are great but not at the rink. The worst by far grey jersey guy. Best guy the rink mgr that gives the extra hour for a small tip.

I get annoyed when people don't skate back at all because they are tired but refuse to shift out. Also not a fan of the guy who insists on slashing at your stick because he thinks its funny when the play is on the opposite side of the ice.

As far as "internet tough guy" bit, I know karate, judo, and other Asian words that mean combat sports.

That got a good laugh out of me!

I get annoyed when people don't skate back at all because they are tired but refuse to shift out. Also not a fan of the guy who insists on slashing at your stick because he thinks its funny when the play is on the opposite side of the ice.

my only pet peeve of today...