Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

masterpeice_patrice

pick up hockey (shinny) pet peeves

My biggest pet peeve is guys spitting on the ice and benches. I don't really want to be exposed to other peoples bodily fluids when I am playing, but it seems almost everyone spits on the ice. Last week a guy bit his lip and was spitting blood everywhere on the ice. I left early that day.

I've had a couple of bloody lips on the ice. Hard to control where the blood ends up...Blood dont bug me, its part of the game.

As a former can a day Copenhagen user, I will add that chew spit all over the ice is kind of gross. Yea, I'm a hypocrit, I spit all over the place for 25 years, and now I'm bitchin when others do it... :facepalm: I feel shame...

So I gotta ask, when you cough up a loogie on the bench, where is the appropriate place to put it? Add some stickum to your palms?? :laugh:

I have never had a loogie problem. I guess I don't understand why others do. If you drink enough fluids, your mucus stays thin and won't accumulate.

Even though spit freezes to the ice, it gets kicked into your skates and socks as you skate and stop. I think I will just start spitting on other peoples skates.

Maybe it is just me...but I am sick of getting cross checked, slashed and rubbed off in shinny. I play with a group of people that aren't the best players. But I go out to have fun, set people up and just skate all over the place (as I usually play defence). Well there is a couple people who come out and seem to be pissed that I can skate with them. Every time I touch the puck or skate by them I get slashed or cross checked in the lower back/hips. Yesterday one of the guys gave me a body check, and not a rub out (which I don't really mind) but a check enough to knock all 6'3 210lbs (and a semi-competent skater) of me off balance. The same guy gave me a slash on my hands when I was on a breakaway...

What am I supposed to do? Complain and bitch? I am the new guy to the group so it's not like they will care, and I don't want to cause issues with the whole group as it is generally good except these 2 guys.

Yeah, being a big guy makes you a target. If they slash, try to grab their stick with your off hand.

You can't bitch. Either take it, skate elsewhere or retaliate. :)

Or you could call them on it. "Hey asshole, this isn't the NHL. Pushing someone off the puck is one thing; slashing and cross-checking is asking to get your ass beat."

Chances are someone else is sick of their shit, too.

Just don't bitch to the rink mgr.

The angry stick throwers after a slow 50plus fat guy takes them to school.

Okay spitting on the ice. Gross on the bench.

The guy that drinks wine after,

Been said already but the kids with the 5 minute shift needs to go with another game.

Call me a prude but I do not care for the guy with the crude junior high sick jokes in the locker room.

Great game this morning, none of the pet peeves listed.

4 months to outside ice at the refrigerated parks. Can,t wait.

People who can't keep their hands or sticks down particularly annoy me. One newbie at an open training session hit me full on in the neck away from the play about a month ago and he couldn't understand why I was upset. Fast forward a couple of weeks, and I took the cage off for the first time ever (for a ball hockey game, and then left it off going back to ice because it just didn't feel right). Within the space of two hours the same guy managed to punch me in the face, high stick me just above my eye, and hit me in the face again, breaking my nose. Still waiting for the apology.

Karma struck though, and a few days later he sliced his leg open in a public skate session with his own skate...

A couple gripes lately:

a. Teammates coming to games obliterated; caused problems the entire game with the refs, the other team, and teammates. He got really upset when myself and a few other asked him to settle down. His unruliness almost cost us our first playoff game in the series by putting us down to a 6 on 3 with a minute left in the game. I do not understand why people cannot wait until AFTER the game to drink... it is only 60 minutes.

b. People that play injured and expect to be treated as "fragile, handle with care" by the other team. If getting bumped where you have your ouchie is going to cause you to fly off the handle... maybe lacing them up that night is not the best idea. Got punched with a gloves hand to the chin because I bumped a guy on the wall that "just came back from a broken arm you prick!" I've never met the guy in my life, no idea you had a broken arm... what is your issue?

c. The guy on every team that is just happy to be there for the ride. Granted, we are all washed up and playing beer league hockey games that do not "count" for anything anymore. I am thankful just to be able to get out on the ice for a good skate now and then, but not giving a damn about the team winning or losing a game, or whether you ever get any better at the game... It is frustrating. If you just want to skate around for fun, stick to the drop-in hockey games.

There is one bloke who has decided from day one that he doesn't like me. Won't pass when I am on his team, etc. Of course after I figured that out, I give him reasons not to like me. He swears like a bloody sailor after I one-hand push him off of the puck. There have been a few times I knock him right off of the puck; after all- it is fair game after he head locked me in the corners.

If he ever learns how to skate, I could be a dead man, as he is 4-6" taller and weighs a good 50# more than I. But for now, it is fun as hell to take up residence in his head.

A couple gripes lately:

a. Teammates coming to games obliterated; caused problems the entire game with the refs, the other team, and teammates. He got really upset when myself and a few other asked him to settle down. His unruliness almost cost us our first playoff game in the series by putting us down to a 6 on 3 with a minute left in the game. I do not understand why people cannot wait until AFTER the game to drink... it is only 60 minutes.

b. People that play injured and expect to be treated as "fragile, handle with care" by the other team. If getting bumped where you have your ouchie is going to cause you to fly off the handle... maybe lacing them up that night is not the best idea.

c. The guy on every team that is just happy to be there for the ride. Granted, we are all washed up and playing beer league hockey games that do not "count" for anything anymore. I am thankful just to be able to get out on the ice for a good skate now and then, but not giving a damn about the team winning or losing a game, or whether you ever get any better at the game... It is frustrating. If you just want to skate around for fun, stick to the drop-in hockey games.

On point b:

Playing injured in ANY sport proves that you have the STONES to play hurt; if it hurts too much/ don't want to be re-injured, etc., STAY THE HELL HOME!!!!! Why do 9/10 pro hockey coaches say an injury is diagonal to where it REALLY is!?!?!? So you can send a get well card in regards to the injured body part!?!?!? Hell no!!!! In my serious playing days, you had better believe if I had intel on an injury, I WOULD EXPLOIT IT!!!! Maybe not so much now, but you can't expect everyone to go easy on you, otherwise there would be everyone on the team faking an injury and winning because their opponents took it EASY!!!!

On point b:

Playing injured in ANY sport proves that you have the STONES to play hurt; if it hurts too much/ don't want to be re-injured, etc., STAY THE HELL HOME!!!!! Why do 9/10 pro hockey coaches say an injury is diagonal to where it REALLY is!?!?!? So you can send a get well card in regards to the injured body part!?!?!? Hell no!!!! In my serious playing days, you had better believe if I had intel on an injury, I WOULD EXPLOIT IT!!!! Maybe not so much now, but you can't expect everyone to go easy on you, otherwise there would be everyone on the team faking an injury and winning because their opponents took it EASY!!!!

It's not so much about someone exploiting it as it is getting hot under the collar when someone bumps into your sore wrist/bum knee/bad back. If it is bad enough that a tap to the area will set you off... maybe it is a little too hurt to play?

b. People that play injured and expect to be treated as "fragile, handle with care" by the other team. If getting bumped where you have your ouchie is going to cause you to fly off the handle... maybe lacing them up that night is not the best idea. Got punched with a gloves hand to the chin because I bumped a guy on the wall that "just came back from a broken arm you prick!" I've never met the guy in my life, no idea you had a broken arm... what is your issue?

Geez I guess your mens league doesn't have injury updates so everyone knows who is injured, what an unprofessional mens beer league.

im very surprised to see so many people bagging on the entry level player and the lower skilled players especially when this thread seemed to have started about pick up hockey

im very surprised to see so many people bagging on the entry level player and the lower skilled players especially when this thread seemed to have started about pick up hockey

New players are great, except when they injure you because they insist on doing stupid things like skating around with their hands at head height, despite being told more than once by more than one person that it's not a good idea.

I do know what you mean im in an adult camp right now to get back into the swing of things and so far I have had at least three people plow right into me while we are doing drills and that's every session , frustrating yes sure it is , but we have a nice group of experienced guys who try and help the new guys out as much as we can , and after all pick up hockey is where most guys who didn't play in there youth learn, here is a perfect example , the other day after my session was done they have pick up hockey and I seen a guy go onto the ice with his girdle on backwards , that's right backwards , and im sure no one told him instead of trying to help the poor guy they would rather have someone to make fun of , I wasn't in the locker room or I would have told him , and by the time I seen him he was already on the ice , so instead of trying to help the guy from the beginning everyone would rather just have some one to make fun of , I just returned back to the game myself , and time have changed i can tell you that , i don't remember hockey players being so arrogant , and it seems to be more of a fashion show these days , our coaches made sure we carried ourselves with respect on and off the ice or we didn't play no matter who you were so i guess that stuck with me , sorry for the long run off but that is just my observation at least the area i am in

No issue with new guys, just keep da stick down.

Upon my return to the ice, my problem was keeping my head up and not incidentally knocking others down, even if they had the same colour as me.

I find that telling noobies that they score more goals if their stick is ON the ice is EXTREMELY effective in keeping sticks down. In all actuality, that actually is true.

I do know what you mean im in an adult camp right now to get back into the swing of things and so far I have had at least three people plow right into me while we are doing drills and that's every session , frustrating yes sure it is , but we have a nice group of experienced guys who try and help the new guys out as much as we can , and after all pick up hockey is where most guys who didn't play in there youth learn, here is a perfect example , the other day after my session was done they have pick up hockey and I seen a guy go onto the ice with his girdle on backwards , that's right backwards , and im sure no one told him instead of trying to help the poor guy they would rather have someone to make fun of , I wasn't in the locker room or I would have told him , and by the time I seen him he was already on the ice , so instead of trying to help the guy from the beginning everyone would rather just have some one to make fun of , I just returned back to the game myself , and time have changed i can tell you that , i don't remember hockey players being so arrogant , and it seems to be more of a fashion show these days , our coaches made sure we carried ourselves with respect on and off the ice or we didn't play no matter who you were so i guess that stuck with me , sorry for the long run off but that is just my observation at least the area i am in

One bloke actually made fun of how much tape I use!!! I then proceed to tell them that I played when their parents were kids and was absent from the game longer than they were alive!!!

While my skill may be long gone, I will tell someone if their girdle was backwards. By the time they are on the ice, it is possibly too late.

I'm with you on that stuff. While I can be easily dangled, I love to get these young guns on the boards and strip them of the puck, especially if I one-hand them off the puck. I have never heard twerps swear so much after I strip them cleanly (or even less than clean, but with more discretionary calls); stripping a twerp of the puck on the boards is probably the ONLY skill I had retained.

I played with a guy who had his visor on his helmet mounted upside down. Not rally the end of the world. Straight cut...so it still looked ok, and protected ok...but it always bugged me that the logo was upside down...don't know how he didn't notice. I never said anything.

I've seen guys putting elbow pads on upside down...or on the wrong arm...that I've pointed out, because it's a safety/protection thing.

I've seen guys putting elbow pads on upside down...or on the wrong arm...that I've pointed out, because it's a safety/protection thing.

When I first started playing there was a 50:50 chance that I had my shin guards on the wrong legs every session, until a few months in my coach noticed me getting dressed and pointed out that there's a left one and a right one.

Heh I finally got used to which arm my elbow pads go on without having to actually look. I still have to look at my shins though.

Damn ref elbow pads I got don't say on them which arm they go on, so I'm making the assumption they go on with the straps pointing inwards like my player elbows :P