Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

masterpeice_patrice

pick up hockey (shinny) pet peeves

OK, now I understand the rage against the "long-shifters". One dude always wants to play center. Doesn't exactly understand the role of center. Doesn't get to both ends of the ice, and doesn't hustle. Pretty much skates from the top of the circles to the top of the circles. Even when he's playing wing or defense. :mad: He'll be out 5-8 minutes at a time. We've learned to shout "full line change" after goals to get him off the ice.

I was playing wing and he kept leaving the house open. I was beating him back just to get some pressure on their breakaways, yelling "you're D!!" as I passed him in the neutral zone. If you're winded and can't hustle, there are 6 guys on the bench waiting to hustle!!

I kind of feel like a dick, though, as one of the women on the opposing team on Sunday night was blocking the puck with her skates. I poke checked the puck just as she was turning to skate and she went down. I did not hook or pull, but the trip was still there. I let the play go on and apologized as she got up. :unsure:

Aaah...now I feel better. Ended up on the bench with her and apologized last night. She said "she'd forgotten about it, so apparently it didn't hurt much."

OK, now I understand the rage against the "long-shifters". One dude always wants to play center. Doesn't exactly understand the role of center. Doesn't get to both ends of the ice, and doesn't hustle. Pretty much skates from the top of the circles to the top of the circles. Even when he's playing wing or defense. :mad: He'll be out 5-8 minutes at a time. We've learned to shout "full line change" after goals to get him off the ice.

I was playing wing and he kept leaving the house open. I was beating him back just to get some pressure on their breakaways, yelling "you're D!!" as I passed him in the neutral zone. If you're winded and can't hustle, there are 6 guys on the bench waiting to hustle!!

Aaah...now I feel better. Ended up on the bench with her and apologized last night. She said "she'd forgotten about it, so apparently it didn't hurt much."

Pretty pathetic.

As far as the girl thing- from what I've been reading on the forums, some of the girls are the meanest/dirtiest, and they know most of the guys will back them up!

Lucky she didn't crack ya! ;)

For the most part, it's a really great scene. Lots of hustle and effort, but nothing outright dirty. Chirping is good-natured.

When you get that "one guy" who messes it up, it's frustrating. He was told last week to make shorter shifts, so I didn't feel too guilty chirping him last night.

She's a cool gal and regularly skates with the guys, and her daughter and my daughter occasionally play against each other. It's all good, I just didn't want to be "that guy"!

I kind of feel like a dick, though, as one of the women on the opposing team on Sunday night was blocking the puck with her skates. I poke checked the puck just as she was turning to skate and she went down. I did not hook or pull, but the trip was still there. I let the play go on and apologized as she got up. :unsure:

I think ^^that ^^ might be one of the things that I do that is probably some people's pet peeve.

Everytime I have unintended contact or accidently cause someone to fall, I feel obligated to stop play and say something to them..."sorry bout that" or "whoops, you alright?" I guess when I'm playing I feel like I'm having so much fun, I dont want anyone to think I'm taking it seriously enough to trip or slash someone on purpose...

I was playing against a team a few weeks ago that had a female D, who is pretty good. Better than me, but not as good as many of my teammates.

Anyway, I was setting up shop in front of their net, and she was giving me the business. Cross check, push, shove, crosscheck. Nothing out of the ordinary for somebody who stands in front of the net. I gave her a shove back at one point and she went FLYING. Guy on their team flips out at me "COME ON NOW THAT'S A GIRL!" I didn't know what to say to that besides "she's wearing the same pads I am..."

No issue with girls in our league AT ALL but they can't expect me to go easy on them or change how I play against them just because they're female.

I gave her a shove back at one point and she went FLYING.

No issue with girls in our league AT ALL but they can't expect me to go easy on them or change how I play against them just because they're female.

Would you do the same to an old man or a child? True, they would wear the same pads as well, but that doesn't make it right. You can push and be physical still, but you would just need to temper things a bit.

I gave her a shove back at one point and she went FLYING.

Would you do the same to an old man or a child? True, they would wear the same pads as well, but that doesn't make it right. You can push and be physical still, but you would just need to temper things a bit.

If they are in my division, I make the assumption that I can push back just as hard as they've pushed me. Being a girl doesn't change that.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough and made it sound like I was being excessive, and for that I apologize. I was honestly shocked when she fell.

But you can't just go out there and cross check people in the ribs in front of the net and not expect to get pushed back just because you're a girl.

Like I said, I honestly don't care about having girls in the league, so long as they don't expect special treatment.

well I took a slap shot off the ankle last night in pick up. I don't know whats worse the fact that it happened or that after it happened when he was apologizing he said "I saw someone break their ankle last week taking a slap shot off their ankle and I just wouldn't want that to happen to anyone" If you didn't want it to happen to anyone then don't take slappers when someone is standing in front of you.

If they are in my division, I make the assumption that I can push back just as hard as they've pushed me. Being a girl doesn't change that.

I have to agree with that. I prefer to play a clean game but will give just as good as I get from players on the other team and I expect the same from them. A couple guys have learned the hard way that I know how to play dirty, even though I rarely choose to play that way.

But you can't just go out there and cross check people in the ribs in front of the net and not expect to get pushed back just because you're a girl.

This. If she initiated it, and he responded in kind, nothing wrong. Not as if there was intent to injure or malice on his part.

You get what you give. People who play any sport physically and get mad when that physicality is given back to them in equal or lesser measure have a special place reserved for them in hell.

we had a few girls on our college club team. They were small and they could give it to you in front of the net. They took checks and gave them out. We as a team only rushed to their aid if someone gave her a dirty hit or something along those lines.

Yeah, and none of the play I'm talking about was at all dirty from either side. I wasn't getting anything in front of the net I wouldn't expect. Just the normal shoving you away from the front of the crease. I just happened to shove back and I don't know if she wasn't expecting it or if she was off balance but she went absolutely flying.

Bottom line is, I'm not going to check to see if you have a ponytail before I make a play on you.

The minute you lace your stick between my legs and trip me, I will not avoid hitting, my elbows will come up, and I will slash you any time you have the puck, and maybe give you a shove or two to get you off of the puck. If the puck gets to a linemate after I do that, even better. Shove me back, that's all good. Shove me and lose possession of the puck, even better. And I don't mind dropping the gloves if need be.

This is not how I prefer to play, but I will not let anybody intimidate me, which sometimes happens to older/younger/less skilled players, whatever the case may be. For the most part, the guys I play with are pretty good guys; but there is the occasional wanker who likes to try to intimidate newcomers and the lesser skilled.

We played a spirited game today, and I ended up having a lucid moment during my hockey sense Ahlzheimer's.

You sound like an absolute joy to play against.

Why thank you.

Re-read the first sentence in my original post. 99/100 trips ARE intentional. High sticks aren't, unless you trip me, then I will give a high stick, but I prefer a cross check. Slash my shin guards, that's fine- I won't react. Trip me, then you WILL get yours.

99/100 trips ARE intentional.

I honestly can't tell if you are just trolling or are seriously a simpleton. In what league are you playing where this is the case?

The moment I feel the need to drop my gloves during a pickup game, will be the moment I find a new sport.

And I don't mind dropping the gloves if need be.

ive been accidentally tripped enough times, and accidentally tripped others enough to know that the ratio is no where near 99/100 intentional

The moment I feel the need to drop my gloves during a pickup game, will be the moment I find a new sport.

Hasn't happened, and I don't think it will. I actually agree with that statement.

What kind of dick takes a trip so personal?

This one: EDIT: Don't want to start trouble by being a name-caller. One like this, but not necessarily this one:

The minute you lace your stick between my legs and trip me, I will not avoid hitting, my elbows will come up, and I will slash you any time you have the puck, and maybe give you a shove or two to get you off of the puck. If the puck gets to a linemate after I do that, even better. Shove me back, that's all good. Shove me and lose possession of the puck, even better. And I don't mind dropping the gloves if need be.