Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DarkStar50

ONE95 Skates, size 6

I said heat up the one90 and press a small pocket for that bone. It worked perfectly on mine.

Yup...no reason why punching it wouldn't solve the problem, unless you have flatfoot deformity, which is what I had (hence the bilateral reconstructive foot surgery). With FFD fitting into any skates made circa 2003 and beyond was next to impossible, even with punching. The only thing that worked for me where I had no pain at all was my trusty Bauer Supreme Comps from the 90's.

Well I didn't make up the name "bauer bump". It is called that for a reason. I developed them in half a season when I had Vapor 20's. If you have a narrow heel and wear a vapor, you can count on them. If you have a foot that fills up the massive bucket of a heel, then maybe you won't get them. Everyone is different.

Vapors have a wide heel? I don't think many other skates outside of the One90 or Mission have a narrower heel.

GrafPro- I have seen you do little but bash Bauer and promote your Graf agenda since you came around. It's tiring- take it somewhere else. Intelligent discussion is one thing that will redeem you. Try it.

exactly how much longer is the LS2.1 power than the regular LS2? aand is there a big benifit to having the extra length?

3mm, same length as the original LS2 Power steel.

I said heat up the one90 and press a small pocket for that bone. It worked perfectly on mine.

Yup...no reason why punching it wouldn't solve the problem, unless you have flatfoot deformity, which is what I had (hence the bilateral reconstructive foot surgery). With FFD fitting into any skates made circa 2003 and beyond was next to impossible, even with punching. The only thing that worked for me where I had no pain at all was my trusty Bauer Supreme Comps from the 90's.

Well I'm trying to figure out why they would not have suggested that, I'm currently in rbk 9k pumps and they work well and no pain but I dont think I skate well in them. I wore Vapors for years but switched for no reason and have had no pain but I'm drawn to trying these One95's I just hope I can figure something out with them

"Bauer bumps" are most likely from people that are wearing skates that dont fit them correctly. I dont have the issue.

But of course everything sucks besides graf, 60 refs and 18 pro players can't lie. :rolleyes:

Bauer skates arent for everyone. Graf skates aren't for everyone. There's a reason why you see people using different skates.

BTW those "bumps" are very common. In downhill skiing they call them "pump bumps", in distance running they call them "runner's heel".

I would be willing to bet that the combination of these bumps occurring frequently, and Bauer having a large market share is the origin of the spurious correlation; hence the reference "Bauer bumps".

As JR has mentioned, when NBH offers the opportunity to test-drive skates, there is an obligation to record your on-ice sessions with the skates. This product evaluation is spelled out in the NBH Skate Evaluation Book that comes with the skates. There is an Initial Fit question section that involves the first time with the skates before you go on ice. The next section is the Short Term Evaluation that consists of 5 on-ice sessions. This will be my thoughts after the Short Term Evaluation.

After 5 sessions on-ice totaling 5 hours, 15 minutes, I find the ONE95 to raise the bar in performance from the ONE90. While the ONE90 gave me maximum fit with the negative space concept, the ONE95 has added another gear in performance.

In the first session, the skate simply took off from under me in a very positive way. All effort in stride and C cuts just generated energy and speed through the boot to the blade to the ice. When I first saw how stiff the boot was, I had reservations about performance translation. However, the stiffness was a positive benefit, not a negative.

In the first 20 minutes, the boots were comfortable and snug around my foot. The fit reminded me of the pre-ONE90 traditional Supreme boot. The boot also had a bit of the Vapor feel in the ankle area with more padding than the ONE90. This is a plus as there is more padding to shape the boot in the ankle area. I spent the 45 minute session working on skating backwards and doing figure 8s in the face-off circles. I finished with 10 minutes of hot laps around the rink along the wall. In all the elements, the ONE95 responded with success.

I used the skates the following night in a game. The transition straight into a game with these skates was easy. I leave the laces very loose as there is so much support built into this boot that there is no reason to ratchet down on the laces. With that system, my foot is able to breathe and never gets pinched inside the boot by the boot. The in-game response of the ONE95 was great. As a defenceman, the boots were reactive to the transition out of backwards skating to forward skating with no problem. It was easy to lean in hard on an edge at at an acute angle and know the skate would perform everything asked of it. The game was a 90 minute session of ice.

My practice sessions are 45 minutes of ice to myself. It is one of the perks of working in a rink when the ice is there waiting for public session skaters. I get the fresh sheet and just work on the skates along the wall end-to-end. The ONE95 continued to settle in around my foot during these sessions.

The second game was the difference maker. Suddenly, in this game, the skates became more dynamic. There was more energy as the boot responded at another level. The ONE95 seemed to provide an over-drive gear on-ice that was a surprise. It was a matter of asking the skate to do more and it did. Each shift the skate seemed to amp up more. This was something that wasn't there in the first game. It was an interesting feeling!

I am now into the Long Term Evaluation of the ONE95. I had another game on Friday. The skates continued to move forward in performance, comfort, and fit.

The LS2.1 Power steel is A-OK by me. The blade profile out of the box was excellent. I immediately felt comfortable on the ice with the steel. That was a huge benefit in getting straight to the feel of the boots knowing that the steel set-up was perfect.

When you first are able to see the ONE95 in person, it will be a bit of a "shocker"(Inside joke for lurking NBHers). It may be hard to understand how a boot so stiff can perform on-ice. After my first few laps on-ice, I didn't need to ask that question anymore. The ONE95 was answering it very quickly.

This past Thursday, I was also running a test on-ice with my ONE90s and the ONE95. In three weeks, my feet had gotten so used to the fit of the ONE95, that it was hard to keep the ONE90s on! That was a surprise.

THIS is what I've been waiting for! Great review, I'm going to give these a serious look when they come out next month.

I'm a slowpoke - haven't completed short-term. One more to go...

Hell yeah you are...STILL waiting for your thoughts about my feet pics!

(;) I'm kidding - I know you're busy!)

I have a theory that i think why it is super stiff while feeling very nice...since ur foot creates heat while skating and the skate is using the "alive" technology I think that the boot feels very soft on the inside and easy to maintain a good knee bend while the outside structure of the boot is super stiff still and don't feel a shot or a slash to the boot. This is only my guess though don't flame me :)

Time for new skates, been wearing 952 Tacks for quite a while. Get the feeling that maybe it's time to take advantage of the latest technology. Basically I've been judging skates by fit and weight. Was at my LHS and the owner told me that the latest technology was more then just weight redcution, he said certain skates will add power to your stride because they will 'spring back' after the boot is flexed giving you a little extra kick so to say. Is there any truth to this? Condisering the ONE90, but he advised me to wait for the ONE95. He said not all the latest skates will add power but definitely the latest Supreme line would. Any help appreciated.

McDougalfaschnitzer Posted Today, 03:49 PM

Damn, half a size off.

budro727 Posted Today, 03:34 PM

If anyone is interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NikeBauer-Supreme-ONE9...1QQcmdZViewItem

Not my auction. Just pointing it out for anyone interested.

From what I've read, I believe 7.5D actually is my size in the One95, but why would someone pay $649 for a used pair? (The auction starts at the low low price of $599, but says reserve not met). It doesn't matter to me really as I'm quite happy with my Shift 1's, although I'd be tempted if the starting bid was at less half the price. At that price even if I was in the market I'd just wait until they came out at retail and get properly fitted, get them sharpened, heat molded ect. Although I'd probably be tempted to head to the U.S. since they'll likely be a couple hundred more here in Canada with tax. It really only makes sense to buy them on ebay or elsewhere online if you're saving a few hundred dollars. It'd be pretty stupid to pay retail for used skates and then likely have to pay extra for heat fitting, sharpening ect. I guess someone who can't wait a few weeks to get them might jump on this, but I actually don't think those will sell at that price on ebay. Since the seller only ships to the U.S. I couldn't bid anyway (so that saves me from myself if they're relisted at a much lower price).

The ONE95 is more protective than the ONE90. The ALIVE composite quarter is stiff and the interior is well padded for fit.

Although I'd probably be tempted to head to the U.S. since they'll likely be a couple hundred more here in Canada with tax.

I thought NBH was re-doing their prices to reflect that the U.S. and Canadian Dollars were pretty much equal? If that's true, they'd still be $200 more in Canada? Or are the skate prices in the States going to take a jump to get closer to what Canadians have been paying?

I don't know where you got that thought from.

Why can't you guys discuss all of this in the ONE95 thread?

I'm sure I read it somewhere on MSH. I guess we're all just excited about the new skates so we're not thinking to go to the ONE95 thread. I know the pics on this thread made me salivate like one of Pavlov's dogs!