Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

On the Ti Nitride coating... didn't ccm have this on their SLM blades back int the 1980's?

ChrisMolnar,

Just curious, did your dad do a rockwell C test? Polish and etch the samples to compare grain structure - photo-micrographs maybe? Maybe some sort of spectrometer test to determine the chemical composition of the samples? I'd be curious about the details as I've spent some time in a metallurgy lab myself.....

I had a pair of CCM OHL Tacks that had a gold colored titanium coated blade purchased mid to late 80s.

Spoke to Guillaume - the BlackSteel will be coming out soon; Gold will be on hold for the foreseeable future.

I got some Black models in today, I guess the distributor mixed it up when he told me the golds were shipped. Too bad, I was anxious to try some out. The Blacks are amazing though, nothing like the Blackedges appearance wise, but black with a super mirror like polish.

It's shinier because it's polished Velocity steel that has been coated. Would you mind putting a picture up? Anyone have a ballpark time figure for when the gold steel will be available? I keep hearing different things.

I'll try to get a pic today. I know the base steel is velocity, but I don't think that would even be visible from under the coating. The coating itself has the glossy finish. Perhaps someone from STEP could explain more what the coating is. Also, unlike Blackedges, these are not coated on the bottom.

• Like 1

Just saw the note of FB. Too bad...

I believe the black is affected as well.....

I got some of the blacks in yesterday, so I hope not. They look nice.

Hi Guys,

For technical reasons beyond our control, we see ourselves in the obligation to cease offering GoldSteel blades.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this might cause you, but we could not offer a product that aswered the requirements of Step Skating Blades.

If you have any questions do not hesitate to contact us

Cease offering? It hadn't even hit market yet. Disappointing. Is there a chance that down the road we might see it again?

Very cool!

I also just got my black steel in today. I'll be putting the velocity xl back into my One95s & go back and forth to get a good assessment. I look forward to trying these out!

hubu7y8a.jpg

besurugy.jpg

Edited by Durbo20vT

Hi Guys,

For technical reasons beyond our control, we see ourselves in the obligation to cease offering GoldSteel blades.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this might cause you, but we could not offer a product that aswered the requirements of Step Skating Blades.

If you have any questions do not hesitate to contact us

Refusing to put out a product that doesn't meet standards and values of the company. Completely understandable and commendable!

• Like 1

Refusing to put out a product that doesn't meet standards and values of the company. Completely understandable and commendable!

Totally in agreement. Refreshing to hear in fact.

• Like 1

Gold would likely have been TiN (titanium nitride coating, long used on industrial cutting tools and recently seen on drill bits). Would have been new to skate runners though.

Edited by rachael7

I've been using and sharpening Step Steel for several years. I used one pair of Velocity and didn't understand why they offer steel that can't be stoned - and I have the same question with BlackSteel. While it may be better for those who don't use a stone, I don't see how it can match a properly stoned and glazed edge. What am I missing?

I just finished another session with the BlackSteel - I honed it with a leather block. After I skated, they felt even more sharp than before.

It's because when you sharpen it, it doesn't leave as much of a burr as do regular skates.