Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheBeatGoesOn

My skates are a half size too big.

Yeah, I bought my first pair of skates a month or so ago and got an 8.5 but really I wear an 8. They measured my foot at the pro shop and brought the 8.5 out and I tried it on and figured it fit ok (not knowing much cuz I'm a noob). I've skated in them probably 10 times by now. They aren't as snug as I wish they were and I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to tighten them up a little or if I'm just screwed until I can afford to buy a new pair. I'm having trouble learning a hockey stop and I'm thinking I'm lacking confidence because my skate just isn't tight enough mostly up towards the top above my ankles.

try and wear some thicker socks or bite the bullet and throw them up on ebay

I hear yah on the pain of a bad fitting, I was the same way... vapor xx's went to a lhs got my feet measured and when I tried them they felt amazing, 3 years later found out I'm a 7.5 not an 8.5

hate to be the bearer of bad news, but i dont know of anything you can do if a skate is too big.usually a half size isnt too much extra room as some people prefer the little bit extra for comfort, but for someone learning im sure it makes things a little more difficult. if you skates are still in near mint condition, maybe your shop will take them back. i know at my shop we will still take back skates that you arent satisfied with, but if theres any wear showing on the skate, the lhs charges you a retainer fee then sells the skates cheaper

hope you are able to resolve this

Thanks, the hockey shop I bought them from is in Raleigh which is like 3 hrs away. Looks like I'll just have to tough it out and do the best I can with these until I buy a new pair. Oh well. The fit isn't terrible but I think the half size smaller would have been better considering I'm new to skating and the little details are kind of important it seems.

Depending on how much you dislike them, you could try selling them at the rink to someone. Ask your rink if you can hang up some fliers, maybe you can sell them for 75%-85% of the price, since they're relatively new. You'll lose some money, and have to drive back to buy new skates, but it might be worth it if they're giving you that much trouble.

Ebay is an option, but it's extra hassle, and if people are buying online, it will be hard to go cheaper than the big warehouse stores.

I think thicker socks/two pairs of socks might be the way to go. Not much you can do here regarding this issue.

But I'd go back and talk to the LHS

Sketch the foot bed on a thin peace of cardboard like what you find on the back of a note pad. Cut it out and put it under the foot bed. It should make it a little snugger.

Sketch the foot bed on a thin peace of cardboard like what you find on the back of a note pad. Cut it out and put it under the foot bed. It should make it a little snugger.

also sounds like a great idea....

Cool. Some good ideas. I already make sure to use thick socks when I skate but I'll go with the double sock thing and see how that works out.

if you start getting blisters stop it immediately.

If you dont have different insoles in it already, you could also put a thicker one in. Like superfeet insoles are usually thicker than the stock insoles that come with skates.

the superfeet save you room inside your skate though by not allowing arch to collapse. something like shock doctor might fill rroom more effectively, however, i do see the superfeet as being a better investment for your next pair of skates for sure

Yeah, I bought my first pair of skates a month or so ago and got an 8.5 but really I wear an 8.

Well, you're lucky you've realized so quickly. Right around the time I found MSH in 2004 I bought CCM skates (8's...because I wear size 9 shoes and I figured the rule was 1 size down regardless on make/model). I always thought they fit the way skates were supposed to fit.

It wasn't until 3 years later that I met oldtrainerguy and he told me I should wear a SEVEN.

Thanks, the hockey shop I bought them from is in Raleigh which is like 3 hrs away. Looks like I'll just have to tough it out and do the best I can with these until I buy a new pair. Oh well. The fit isn't terrible but I think the half size smaller would have been better considering I'm new to skating and the little details are kind of important it seems.

Give them a call and see if they'll take them back/arrange anything with you. It's maybe not worth the drive to ask, but it doesn't hurt to call.

Give them a call and see if they'll take them back/arrange anything with you. It's maybe not worth the drive to ask, but it doesn't hurt to call.

i agree with this idea, you can never be too sure. if its a small store as opposed to a large company, im sure htey will be more than willing to help you find a solution that works for both you and them. best of luck

I had size 11 for my first skates and now I'm wearing a 10. I just tied 'em tight and I never had any blister problems. It's not ideal but a half a size should be manageable. Good luck!

Heres what you can do. Don't wear two socks, not a great idea, when you sweat it will move around.

Take a thin piece of foam and shape it to fit in the skate, then buy gray superfeet footbeds and put them in over the foam. The foam takes up volume in the skate and the superfeet will raise your heel about 3mm. Not only will that make your skates feel better, it will help keep you on your toes and noobs need to learn to skate on their toes.

If you don't like the superfeet, do the samething with the foam and then put in the footbed from the skate on top of it.

See if your LHS will work with you, if not sell them on E-Bay or local and find a pair that fits. There is nothing worse than ill fitting skates.

I saw a few people say wear a "thicker" sock, or "two socks" - Well that could be fine, but sometimes, because of all the "bulk" in the heel area, you don't get the "golden" heel lock that hockey players have come to enjoy and love.

So I have been doing some experimenting at home, and have noticed when I wear one pair of socks, then I cut a 2nd sock so it only goes from the toe to the arch. You get added length without the bulk in the heel area. Be sure to put this little "footlet" on first, then you full lenght sock it helps it stay in place....

I have not tried this on the ice as of yet, but may in the future - its just gone through "living room" testing for now....while watching TV like Big Brother, CSI and Cold Case.

If the skates are loose around the top of the ankle, sizing wont do this, its just the fact u havent tightened your skates properly. if they feel sloppy i would try the various ideas on here but if its just loose ankles sounds like you just havent tightened your skates properly, perfectly understandable thing for a new skater to do.

I have a back-up pair of skates that are 1/2 size too big. I tie them tighter up top and use waxed laces on those skates on the rare occasions that I need to skate them. Also try reverse lacing - running the lace thru from the outside of the eyelet rather than from inside to outside. This seems to give a tighter lacing and also pulls the boot around your foot a little more. You can experiment and only lace the parts of the skate that you need the support like that, or do up the entire skate that way. As a new skater you want to develop a feel for the ice, thick/double socks may not help out with that process. A half size too big shouldn't be really bad, but I do agree that if the shop measured you and sold you that size maybe they can do some sort of credit/exchange and get you fitted correctly. I learned to skate ( still learning!) on skates that were at least one whole size too big.

That stunts development big time. A last suggestion I would have is since you know the skate is somewhat big, you'll likely replace them at some point. As a developing skater changing skates ( even different size of same skate) can knock you back a step or two in your learning curve, why not just get it right now if you can and start a steady path of skill development?

I saw a few people say wear a "thicker" sock, or "two socks" - Well that could be fine, but sometimes, because of all the "bulk" in the heel area, you don't get the "golden" heel lock that hockey players have come to enjoy and love.

So I have been doing some experimenting at home, and have noticed when I wear one pair of socks, then I cut a 2nd sock so it only goes from the toe to the arch. You get added length without the bulk in the heel area. Be sure to put this little "footlet" on first, then you full lenght sock it helps it stay in place....

I have not tried this on the ice as of yet, but may in the future - its just gone through "living room" testing for now....while watching TV like Big Brother, CSI and Cold Case.

Similarly, you can use a neoprene ankle support to take up the extra volume.

omg, thats genius!! :D