Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Nike/Bauer 9500 Helmet Initial Thoughts

any more reviews on this helmet, i bought an s9 but i dont like it to much dosent feel good, tight. so i think im going to take it back and get a 9500, but i'd like a little bit more info first.

unfair to compare s9 to 9500........half the price...all round factors s9 is the best helmet out right now

I wasn't impressed with the ones at the show in January and most of the people I know who bought them have already dumped them.

Ive got the S17 and its a very well ventilated helmet. Just as cool as my Nike/Bauer 8500. Sometimes have sweat issues with my 8500 with sweat running into my eyes but not with the S17. The 8500 is more comfortable overall though. I like em both.

i wasn't asking for comparision just stating that s9 isn't for me because, I herd so many good reviews on the s9 so i bought it and it wasn't my fit. more or less im looking for anyone who has used the 9500 that could give me some input on how it staks up to anything right now.

I'm about to pull the trigger on this does anyone know if I can do better than $150?

I tried it on and loved it, but also liked the V10...I think I like this better though...ok maybe I'm not about to pull the trigger...

thanks!

Ive got the S17 and its a very well ventilated helmet. Just as cool as my Nike/Bauer 8500. Sometimes have sweat issues with my 8500 with sweat running into my eyes but not with the S17. The 8500 is more comfortable overall though. I like em both.

but doesnt that plastic ajustment hurt ur head. it kills my head when i tried it at my lhs

I tried the S17 yesterday and didn't like the padding in it at all compared to the V10 and 9500, but I'm coming from a 4500 so anything is better than that...

I tried the S17 yesterday and didn't like the padding in it at all compared to the V10 and 9500, but I'm coming from a 4500 so anything is better than that...

Not necessarily, VN foam has its benefits over EPP.

shows what I know...lol...

educate me on the benefits before I spend lots of cash please...

cause from my expierience...

I sweat alot and the padding in it does not keep it out of my face as it is very slick (not the right word)...I've tried a lot to keep the sweat out (half headband, Under Armour beanie thing and still it gets wet and slides around...the newer padding seems much more absorbant and a lot more comforatable...

I sweat alot and the padding in it does not keep it out of my face as it is very slick (not the right word)...I've tried a lot to keep the sweat out (half headband, Under Armour beanie thing and still it gets wet and slides around...the newer padding seems much more absorbant and a lot more comforatable...

VN foam absorbs sweat better than EPP foam. Also, there have been many discussions on here regarding which foam is more protective. There are still no conclusive results. If sweat absorption is your primary concern, I'd recommend VN over EPP foam. Have you also considered a UA Skullcap? I used to use one and it worked very well in terms of absorbing sweat.

I have an 8500 with cage. Is it worth it for me to upgrade to 9500 for two things: 1) the additional protection over EPP used in earlier model 2) Overall weight

Thanks and I don't play with checking but I do go hard for the puck and get in the odd collision and being short, I usually get knocked in the head with a shoulder or arm or something.

VN foam absorbs sweat better than EPP foam. Also, there have been many discussions on here regarding which foam is more protective. There are still no conclusive results. If sweat absorption is your primary concern, I'd recommend VN over EPP foam. Have you also considered a UA Skullcap? I used to use one and it worked very well in terms of absorbing sweat.

I wear one every time on the ice and I come off and it is as wet as if I took a shower in it...but it is better than nothing at all!!!!

I wear one every time on the ice and I come off and it is as wet as if I took a shower in it...but it is better than nothing at all!!!!

You don't want the helmet to absorb sweat, that will make the padding hard. If you sweat a lot, just keep a towel on the bench.

The padding definitely gets hard, but many of us really dont bother to take our helmets off and bring towels to the bench. I'm already lugging 2 sticks, water bottle, puck bag etc :P I've just accepted that I'll sweat a lot on the ice and deal with it I guess.

The padding definitely gets hard, but many of us really dont bother to take our helmets off and bring towels to the bench. I'm already lugging 2 sticks, water bottle, puck bag etc :P I've just accepted that I'll sweat a lot on the ice and deal with it I guess.

Throw it over your shoulder and you won't even notice that it's there. ;)

First skate went very well -

Had no problems with sweat at all, didn't have to wipe the visor once or fiddle with it. In fact, my head got cold. Perfect.

I had to adjust it once to make it a bit smaller, but I really like the feel of it.

Switched helmets during the game (I gave my friend my Intake so I wore it for a couple of shifts) and while the Intake handles ventilation well, it was pretty close. The 9500 felt a bit cooler.

JR, are the sizes comparable between the Intake and the 9500 (i.e. if I'm a M in the Intake will I be a M in the 9500)?

I have been using an Intake in size large and the 9500 I just bought it is also a size large. The fit is comparable but advise trying it on first.

I tried one on yesterday and it seemed pretty narrow. It didn't seem like enough to really bother me, but I did notice it at first. I do need a new helmet, and I can get this for $70 with the an 8500 cage. I'm thinking about going back next week and picking it up.

My 8K cracked yesterday - took a shot to the forhead. I tried on the 9500 after the game and it felt all sorts of bad. Lots of stuff hitting me in all the wrong places, not soft at all. They LHS manager said it softens up after 10 minutes on your head. Has anyone else had a similar experience? I'm trying to decide whether or not to just get another 8K.