Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kovalchuk71

Revision Vanquish Skate

Is it called the vanquish because its supposed to go as fast as and look as good as the aston martin vanquish?

good connection, speed i would say is still in the air but i can assure you the looks are no where close. :lol:

oops, I forgot to add a sarcastic LOL to the end of that

Not trying to knock Revision or anything as i applaud innovation and inventiveness, but if they want these to sell they could at least make them look nice?

I mean, even if they did perform, i highly doubt anyone would give these a look over any other top-end models such as the Cobalt Qs or Boss purely because of the aesthetics

Edit: I've seen a proper picture now, and damn they look hot.

I personally don't think they look THAT bad. I like the color scheme and overall they kind of remind me of an old pair of Fila skates one of my teammates used to own.

Not trying to knock Revision or anything as i applaud innovation and inventiveness, but if they want these to sell they could at least make them look nice?

I mean, even if they did perform, i highly doubt anyone would give these a look over any other top-end models such as the Cobalt Qs or Boss purely because of the aesthetics

Well i would chose them based on looks over the cobalt q's. the q's are possibly the ugliest skate I've ever laid eyes on.

I find it amazing how you guys can judge a skate by one (bad quality) picture. Did any of you see the skate in real life? It is a sample anyway, so we will have to wait until December. Agree on the Q being the ugliest ever.

I find it amazing how you guys can judge a skate by one (bad quality) picture. Did any of you see the skate in real life? It is a sample anyway, so we will have to wait until December. Agree on the Q being the ugliest ever.

We are potential customers, we can judge the skates...The picture was posted and the question was asked what do we think about it, so people voice their opnion... Like it or not you know people buy products soley on looks alone or brand name, so when they see something new and diffrent expect it to be judged harshly at first...Now in a few months when they drop they could be the next big thing and their will be a 100 page thread on how great they are...

Oh I don't mind people giving their opinion. It is a freaky looking skate indeed. But I can't even see the texture of the materials or the real colors on such a small crappy picture. Isn't there anyone at NARCh that can shoot some more from multiple angles?

I think they should offer a chassis deal like tour did with the hummer. They could get a lot of people to try their wheels at the same time. I am in need of a new chassis and would probably try the 76/76/76/100 idea at a good price.

I think they should offer a chassis deal like tour did with the hummer. They could get a lot of people to try their wheels at the same time. I am in need of a new chassis and would probably try the 76/76/76/100 idea at a good price.

Im not sure how cost effective it would be? Good or bad...but it is a great idea especially on a new product....Im sure alot more people would give the frame a try if they could have it ounted on their own boot...But with 100mm wheel it would take some serious dremmling I would think and probubly wouldnt work on alot of boots...

...But with 100mm wheel it would take some serious dremmling I would think and probubly wouldnt work on alot of boots...

Just looking at my rbk 6k's, there is just a bit over 1cm between the top of the back wheel and the bottom of the outsole, meaning that it wouldn't need to be dremmled (or at least very much minimally). How it would go for alot of other skates, I dont know, but maybe you are over estimating a bit?

Sorry, just realised after posting that it would all depend on the frame its self :ph34r:

but of cource due to the picture, it is something that we can tell based on it. Although it wouldn't suprise me if revision made the frame to fit minimal change to the outsole, as it is something that can turn people away from it.

I had a beer with Tony Gabriele, co-owner of Revision while we were at Narch. Though he is a business guy and not a hockey guy, we were sitting with one of the guys on the Vanquish, so he filled in the holes. They both indicated the skate is projected to be a 1st level, not elite level, skate, like the CCM V8 or NBH XXV, or whatever their 2nd skate is. Their rationale, as I understood it, was that since they are only making 1 skate, and they don't have much market penetration yet, that they will go with high quality gear offerings, but not at the price and level to not be able to penetrate the mid level or sub-elite markets. He was a nice guy, and it turns out the guy from the Vanquish that was there was on the OCC team that smoked everyone in the WCRHL a few years ago and my team got in a couple fights with. Nice guy when he's not burning you...

Isn't there a risk with that approach your brand (as far as skates are concerned) will be seen as low grade for an unacceptable period of time, past releasing your "High end model"?

I think with any new skate hitting the market these days, there is going to be a period of time where people are skeptical of the product until it is proven. For simple proof of this, look at their wheels. 4 years ago, Nobody had any idea what Revision was. They were high priced wheels that claimed to have new technology to out-do the other wheel companies. And over the past 4 years, they have proven themselves and are now among the Elite wheels to skate on. Their partnership with NCRHA was also a huge boost for their product and got it exposure/proof of concept. I honestly don't see the skate/chassis/100mm wheel concept being any different. It might not be The skate this year or even next, but it'll be a short period of time until people are convinced one way or the other on the concept/skate. Give it time and open mind.

... wow that was long winded.

But as far as the marketing strategy and keeping it a entry-level elite skate, I think it's a good idea. All you have to do is look at how many people actually buy the High-end $400-$500 skate, and how many go for the next one down at $300. On top of that, how many times do you see the elite players choosing the "next skate down" instead of the top level. The top of the lines typically have all the new technology and some "features" that most pros don't like (ex. boot's too stiff.) Just look at the Tour line of the past 5 generations back to the 962s. The 2nd in line has been the fan favorite for the most part. So why not market the skate to That crowd?? Just my 2cents. Not knocking anyone, just giving my thoughts on things.

Anyway, I got to see these out at State Wars a couple weeks back, and I'm pretty sure the wifey and I had the same reaction that everyone else did when they saw/heard of the wheel setup... "Whoa, that's a big wheel." But honestly, if the speed skaters have been skating on the 5x80mm, 4x90mm, 3x100mm wheels for a while now, you know it was only a matter of time before the concept finally made it across the skating world to hockey. I'm sure everyone gawked at the 80-80-72-72 setup when it broke away from the traditional rockered/flat, one-sized wheel chasis setup. It's gonna take time before it's proven. Back to the actual skate itself... The boot looked comfortable (kinda reminded me of the Mission DNA boot) and the chassis looked pretty solid. The boot didn't have the Tour style Lo-boy groove in the boot foot-bed. It's an interesting concept, and I hope it takes off.

Frank~Frank

But honestly, if the speed skaters have been skating on the 5x80mm, 4x90mm, 3x100mm wheels for a while now, you know it was only a matter of time before the concept finally made it across the skating world to hockey.

Frank~Frank

hockey and speed technology have influenced each other, although more so, speed tech entering hockey, just look at the designs for the outsoles of the KOR's and high end eastons, straight from speed skates. Overall this tech should be welcomed, but I think we should al pray that it doesnt go to far....

gigantathon2.jpg

yup, 6 x 110mm wheels :ph34r:

Jesus.......no crossovers on those for me.

A Sprung version?? ;)

I think the entire frame would have to bend, not just the arms holding the wheels :lol:

So I'm out here at the ECRHA Columbus Day Event and Nabeel from Revision was out here and had one of the new boots with him. I finally had a chance to pick it up and play with it. The inside is incredible! I wanted to slip it on because it looked so comfortable. It had the whole heel lock thing going on, and then around the ankle bone it had silicon inserts just on the pokey part of the ankle bone on the sides (i know, real technical terminology) and memory foam all around it and actually behind the silicon. On the sole, it was all some sort of carbon fiber weave, and the tongue looked really comfortable. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance put it on, but it looks awesome. Can't wait to see the finished product...

Frank~Frank

Well from your description Frank, that sounds like it will be a pretty comfortable skate. Guess it's just unfortunate that the boot doesn't look as good from the outside as it sounds from the inside :P

haha... Well, not all boots were quite as styling as they are today. I remember some of the early Tour boots being a little... ummm... lacking in outter appeal.

And besides, it's what's on the inside that counts anyway. = )