Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Allsmokenopancake

2009 Washington Capitals thread

I've had to pleasure to have been to probably 80% of the home games for the past two seasons. Its noticeable the influx of red and the presence of caps fan as opposed to the Detroit, Pittsburg, Rags and Flyers fans that used to fill the phonebooth.

Sound like Ovie is definitely getting under Crosby's skin: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburgh...s/s_613118.html

Some funny quotes:

Crosby said Monday he will not challenge Ovechkin "to a hitting competition" when the Penguins play the Capitals at Verizon Center on March 8.
Crosby took exception to "runs" he claims Ovechkin took at him and Malkin during the Capitals' victory over the Penguins at Washington on Sunday.
He went at (Malkin's) head probably three shifts before he went after me. He's hitting to hurt guys in the head."

I think Crosby may be confused with what game happened last Sunday. Ovie was not taking runs.

Ovie has played the same way since day 1 in his league.

I think Crosby may be confused with what game happened last Sunday. Ovie was not taking runs.

I politely disagree. It is not often you see a LW behind the goal line in his own zone to make a hit, especially on the opposite side. Its something I've noticed he does against the key players of other teams. Its not that he is trying to injure, but the fact that he just wants to hit, IMO.

Let it also be known that I'm a pretty big Caps fan and DC native. I hate the way Crosby acts but I think hes a phenomenal player.

I politely disagree. It is not often you see a LW behind the goal line in his own zone to make a hit, especially on the opposite side. Its something I've noticed he does against the key players of other teams. Its not that he is trying to injure, but the fact that he just wants to hit, IMO.

Let it also be known that I'm a pretty big Caps fan and DC native. I hate the way Crosby acts but I think hes a phenomenal player.

true. But I wouldn't classify those as runs. Runs to me are hitting people that don't have the puck or going after someone way after the play. I could see Crosby making a case with the 1st Pitt v. Washington game where Ovie was hitting Malkin right and left but on Sunday's games he just looked like he was finishing off checks.

Just my opinion.

true. But I wouldn't classify those as runs. Runs to me are hitting people that don't have the puck or going after someone way after the play. I could see Crosby making a case with the 1st Pitt v. Washington game where Ovie was hitting Malkin right and left but on Sunday's games he just looked like he was finishing off checks.

Just my opinion.

I'm supportive of OV's actions on Sundays, from what I could see from the horrible NBC broadcast. It was funny to see the little exchange between OV and Crosby by the Caps' bench. The first replay they show the whole thing, OV's bump and Crosby's spear + trying to push Ov into the bench, followed by the helmet grab. Every replay after they only showed the helmet grab.

As far as the OV hit behind the goal line... Thats just ovechkin playing his game. If you have the puck and hes in a position to hit you, hes GOING to hit you. Sorry if crosby cant take it. If you cant stand the heat, get out of the kitchen, or in his case, If you cant take the hits, get off the ice. And ive noticed some nasty stickwork by sid recently. Id assume its stemming from frustrations of loosing and his lack of a physical game..

BUT it was a great win by the caps and now they've got to keep it rolling against the Flyers. As a side note, 5 different players scored for the caps last game. Its hard to beat a team where anyone of their players can burn you. Eric Ferh for president.

And ive noticed some nasty stickwork by sid recently.

You must not have been following him all year. Seems he has added his stick jab to his arsenal of verbal abuse to other players in trying to get the upper hand against opponents. Kid always has his mouth open.

I think if you look at the clips from Mike Richards that Comcast were playing (comcast in DC area) this morning, you will see why there is something of a dislike in the way crosby talks to the media.

After the game Crosby said a couple of times that "that's ovechkin, he runs around a bit out there, I don't like it but what can you do"

He had more comments in the media today about him being dirty.

Then, Mike Richards was asked if the fact that Ovechkin seemed to ramp up and hit more when he was being hit led them to think of backing off them.

He responded that "Well, I like to hit too. It's his game, it's hockey, he's going to try to hit you. We are going to try to hit him as much as we can when he's on the ice and take him off his game."

Richards and Ovechkin have a bitter rivalry on the ice, leading to a fight in a pre-season game, and a lot of hits and scuffles between them in the playoffs. But if any of you remember the handshake line at the end of the playoffs, Richards embraced Ovey, hugged him, and stopped the line while he said some words to him, you can see there is a mutal respect between them.

That's the difference, he doesn't try to cheaply spear him when the refs are coming in to break it up, he hits, he takes hits, and goes home at the end of the day.

God damn if I could put another player on the caps, it would be Richards. He is one of my favorite players outside the caps, easily (and the only flyer I don't hate)

I think if you look at the clips from Mike Richards that Comcast were playing (comcast in DC area) this morning, you will see why there is something of a dislike in the way crosby talks to the media.

After the game Crosby said a couple of times that "that's ovechkin, he runs around a bit out there, I don't like it but what can you do"

He had more comments in the media today about him being dirty.

Then, Mike Richards was asked if the fact that Ovechkin seemed to ramp up and hit more when he was being hit led them to think of backing off them.

He responded that "Well, I like to hit too. It's his game, it's hockey, he's going to try to hit you. We are going to try to hit him as much as we can when he's on the ice and take him off his game."

Richards and Ovechkin have a bitter rivalry on the ice, leading to a fight in a pre-season game, and a lot of hits and scuffles between them in the playoffs. But if any of you remember the handshake line at the end of the playoffs, Richards embraced Ovey, hugged him, and stopped the line while he said some words to him, you can see there is a mutal respect between them.

That's the difference, he doesn't try to cheaply spear him when the refs are coming in to break it up, he hits, he takes hits, and goes home at the end of the day.

God damn if I could put another player on the caps, it would be Richards. He is one of my favorite players outside the caps, easily (and the only flyer I don't hate)

Agree completely. Hate Richards with a passion only because he is on the Flyers. Having him on the Caps would be great. I love how he plays physical, leads his team with his play and what he does on the PK ...

That's the thing I don't like about Crosby's game, although it's not just him that does it. It's the guys that get hit, and then want to retaliate after a clean play. They've been playing hockey their whole lives, but seem to believe they shouldn't be hit. Hitting's part of the game, I guess I just don't understand it. Maybe when Ovechkin hits Crosby, his size and speed makes it feel like he's taking a run at him? I certainly didn't see Ovechkin running anybody this game. Not like before when he was trying to kill Malkin. For what it's worth, I did see Crosby running his mouth to quite a few people, not just Ovechkin like he says.

I'm sure with the things Crosby's been saying lately, all the Pens fans are going to have a huge hate for Ovechkin now. I bet the boos are going to be louder than ever next time they play at Mellon Arena. I think it's funny that Crosby doesn't like Ovechkin going around and hitting people, but he's fine with his own play of running his mouth and slashing and crosschecking people after the play.

That's the thing I don't like about Crosby's game, although it's not just him that does it. It's the guys that get hit, and then want to retaliate after a clean play. They've been playing hockey their whole lives, but seem to believe they shouldn't be hit. Hitting's part of the game, I guess I just don't understand it. Maybe when Ovechkin hits Crosby, his size and speed makes it feel like he's taking a run at him? I certainly didn't see Ovechkin running anybody this game. Not like before when he was trying to kill Malkin. For what it's worth, I did see Crosby running his mouth to quite a few people, not just Ovechkin like he says.

I'm sure with the things Crosby's been saying lately, all the Pens fans are going to have a huge hate for Ovechkin now. I bet the boos are going to be louder than ever next time they play at Mellon Arena. I think it's funny that Crosby doesn't like Ovechkin going around and hitting people, but he's fine with his own play of running his mouth and slashing and crosschecking people after the play.

To me it started when he was chriping at Laich early in the 1st after Laich had a clean hit. Crosby came over and gave him a late shot and Broosky gave him that look of ok you? Come on ....

Seemed to start the Caps off.

Agree totally with the Richards thing. I think Sid is the most talented person in the world with hockey skills, but he is the worst hockey player.

http://www.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?id=34597

LMAO. Ovie is something else..

That is the best clip I have seen in a LONG time. Here I am sitting in class giggling at this vid. My Prof isn't too happy with me right now.

You know to be honest, I kind of feel bad about Crosby. Man the kid probably has to take so much shit for being labeled the 'next Gretzky' his whole life......BUT, I also think maybe that's why he acts so angry about the whole Ovechkin thing now.....a lot of people even on here, 2 or 3 years ago, probably say Crosby is a bit better, will be a bigger deal than Ovie in NHL. Say what you want, that was the majority opinion back then. Look around now, people know that Ovie is the real deal, and great as Crosby is, he's no Ovechkin! Ovechkin plays like a lion on the ice, and I think anybody who considers themselves Crosby fans are in denial, and just wish Crosby played more like Ovie. I know people will be angry if i say it, but its been 3 years of people doubting Ovie for no reason, and now look, Ovie is bigger, the Caps are better (than Pens), and Crosby doesn't shut up and play to win....he bitches and slashes. DID ANYONE ELSE THINK THAT CROSBY'S RETALIATION (GRABBING OVIE FROM BEHIND AND PUSHING HIM OVER THE BENCH) TO OVIE WAS JUSTIFIED?! Ovie barely bumped him at all, but Crosby is frustrated, wah, wah, wah! When did Ovie ever do this to Crosby when he always lost to the Pens!?!? He put his nose to the grindstone, waited for the team to be built up....and now they dominate Caps/Pens games. "Talent this", and "see the game that", it doesn't matter, Crosby needs to step it up now that the Caps are better and Ovie has the same or more running room that he does. Can't wait for the game on the 8th.

You know to be honest, I kind of feel bad about Crosby. Man the kid probably has to take so much shit for being labeled the 'next Gretzky' his whole life......BUT, I also think maybe that's why he acts so angry about the whole Ovechkin thing now.....a lot of people even on here, 2 or 3 years ago, probably say Crosby is a bit better, will be a bigger deal than Ovie in NHL.

Say what you want, that was the majority opinion back then. Look around now, people know that Ovie is the real deal, and great as Crosby is, he's no Ovechkin! Ovechkin plays like a lion on the ice, and I think anybody who considers themselves Crosby fans are in denial, and just wish Crosby played more like Ovie.

I know people will be angry if i say it, but its been 3 years of people doubting Ovie for no reason, and now look, Ovie is bigger, the Caps are better (than Pens), and Crosby doesn't shut up and play to win....he bitches and slashes. DID ANYONE ELSE THINK THAT CROSBY'S RETALIATION (GRABBING OVIE FROM BEHIND AND PUSHING HIM OVER THE BENCH) TO OVIE WAS JUSTIFIED?!

Ovie barely bumped him at all, but Crosby is frustrated, wah, wah, wah! When did Ovie ever do this to Crosby when he always lost to the Pens!?!? He put his nose to the grindstone, waited for the team to be built up....and now they dominate Caps/Pens games. "Talent this", and "see the game that", it doesn't matter, Crosby needs to step it up now that the Caps are better and Ovie has the same or more running room that he does. Can't wait for the game on the 8th.

Punctuation can be the difference in helping your uncle, Jack, off a horse, or helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Man, too many words for one paragraph

Did Poti come back after that Richards hit...? That was an monster hit!

Yup. Poti didn't miss a shift. Good hit by Richards. Wish he would've knocked some sense into Schultz or at least knock him out of the game. He sucks.

Yup. Poti didn't miss a shift. Good hit by Richards. Wish he would've knocked some sense into Schultz or at least knock him out of the game. He sucks.

Wow....that was a hell of a hit...didn't miss a shift? Nice job by Poti.

Wow....that was a hell of a hit...didn't miss a shift? Nice job by Poti.

Yeah. Had that been an open ice hit it probably would've been game over for Poti but from my view (granted I was in the upper bowl) it looked like the boards too the brunt of the hit and it was a ton of noise. A good clean hit but I guess we won't know unless Poti shows up on IR.

QUOTE (OTHockey96 @ Feb 24 2009, 05:42 PM) *

You know to be honest, I kind of feel bad about Crosby. Man the kid probably has to take so much shit for being labeled the 'next Gretzky' his whole life......BUT, I also think maybe that's why he acts so angry about the whole Ovechkin thing now.....a lot of people even on here, 2 or 3 years ago, probably say Crosby is a bit better, will be a bigger deal than Ovie in NHL.

Say what you want, that was the majority opinion back then. Look around now, people know that Ovie is the real deal, and great as Crosby is, he's no Ovechkin! Ovechkin plays like a lion on the ice, and I think anybody who considers themselves Crosby fans are in denial, and just wish Crosby played more like Ovie.

I know people will be angry if i say it, but its been 3 years of people doubting Ovie for no reason, and now look, Ovie is bigger, the Caps are better (than Pens), and Crosby doesn't shut up and play to win....he bitches and slashes. DID ANYONE ELSE THINK THAT CROSBY'S RETALIATION (GRABBING OVIE FROM BEHIND AND PUSHING HIM OVER THE BENCH) TO OVIE WAS JUSTIFIED?!

Ovie barely bumped him at all, but Crosby is frustrated, wah, wah, wah! When did Ovie ever do this to Crosby when he always lost to the Pens!?!? He put his nose to the grindstone, waited for the team to be built up....and now they dominate Caps/Pens games. "Talent this", and "see the game that", it doesn't matter, Crosby needs to step it up now that the Caps are better and Ovie has the same or more running room that he does. Can't wait for the game on the 8th.

Punctuation can be the difference in helping your uncle, Jack, off a horse, or helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Sorry about that, my ranting knows no boundaries. Anyone else think the Caps have issues with holding a lead? The Philly game last night wasn't the first time they've blown a lead late in the game like that this year, is it? Disconcerting, considering playoffs are fairly close.

QUOTE (OTHockey96 @ Feb 24 2009, 05:42 PM) *

Sorry about that, my ranting knows no boundaries. Anyone else think the Caps have issues with holding a lead? The Philly game last night wasn't the first time they've blown a lead late in the game like that this year, is it? Disconcerting, considering playoffs are fairly close.

The only concern I have is the absurd amount of penalties they take every game. Usually a stupid lazy delay of game penalty when no one is close by.

Semin's cross check and Theo's 'roughing' were a little weak for me. Possibly worth two, but really (esp. Theo's)???

And boy did those 6-7 failed breakaways come back to bite us in the ass.

Semin's cross check and Theo's 'roughing' were a little weak for me. Possibly worth two, but really (esp. Theo's)???

And boy did those 6-7 failed breakaways come back to bite us in the ass.

Yeah Semin's call was weak but the game was out of hand at that point anyways.

As for Theo's penalty. I really don't think it should've been called. It would've helped if Poti didn't push the Flyers player into Theo though.