Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Allsmokenopancake

2009 Washington Capitals thread

Wow, the beatings the Predators have given the Caps is nice. Brashear by Belak and then Tootoo on Bradley(?). Let's go Predleys.

brashear got rocked. I dont think ive ever seen him go down like that. And Bradley bled all over the place. I dont think he'll hit Tootoo from behind anymore...

I thought brads was holding his own on tootoo, got a couple in, but the refs broke it up mid fight, obviously because of the bleeding.

Brash hasn't been rocked by a punch like that since he was a canadien

oh yes i agree about the bradley tootoo fight. I think tootoo took offense to that hit and was shaken up a bit briefly. Overall tho this has been a great game, but the preds seem to be blocking a ton of shots. I think there has been someone down on the ice in front of ove. and semin nearly every chance...

So, the reason brash didn't return to the ice is because he twisted his knee when he fell. Hope to hell he is good to go against the flyers tomorrow.

And the reason for the blood was a headbutt/helmet collision. Not intentional, but if you look at the video link below, the only time I can see where it may have happened, is when tootoo's helmet is coming off, right around the 16 second mark.

Like I say, definately nothing that looked intentional, but that's what they are saying caused the cut on bradley

Here is tariks blog piece

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/capitalsi..._1_ot.html#more

Brutal Bouts

Both Donald Brashear and Matt Bradley got into bloody first period fights. Neither ended well for the Capitals combatant. Brashear - I've never seen this - got dropped by a straight left from Wade Belak, who later took on John Erskine. Bradley, meantime, got a headbutt from Jordin Tootoo, opening a gash on his nose.

Bradley, who is as tough as they come, returned after getting stitched up; Brashear suffered a sprained knee when he fell awkwardly and was unable to return. His status for Thursday's game is unclear. But if Michael Nylander is ready to return, the Caps technically won't need to recall anyone.

No harm to circles nylander, but against a team like philly, I'd much rather the donald, or calling up a big body from hershey like Osala to play the physical game that the flyers are sure to bring

By the way, tarik has some good stuff on the blog today, in this post and others, I only pasted the bit relevant to the fights

The S17 pays dividends for Sergei! Anyone see Green flop on his face coming off the bench to celebrate? Lol.

HA! Yes!! I had to rewind the DVR like 5 times to try and find out WTF Green was doing!!!! My G/F was even like, WTF!? Did he do some belly-flop on the ice on purpose b/c they finally won the game?" I still have no clue what happened?? Funny as hell though!

Anyone else need blood pressure meds after that one.

The flyers crowd had this sounding like a playoff game. And the teams played like it was one.

Hell of a game, couple of dick calls by the refs, on both teams, but a hell of a game

Agreed, that was one of the Flyers' most entertaining games this season. It would be awesome to get to watch another postseason series between these teams.

Happened to be there tonight for my first ever Flyers game, the boos in that place after the Knuble penalty were absolutely ridiculous

wow huge win by the Caps. It gets said every game but there were some really bad calls. Nylanders "interference" comes to mind as well as Backstroms "interference".

Usually Flyers are storming in the 3rd and get one or two lately vs. the Caps but not tonight! Huge win!

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/capitalsi...as_ju.html#more

Practice Update: Boudreau as 'Juice Boy'

Coach Bruce Boudreau is rather well-known for the games his teams play at the end of practice. Most of you are probably familiar with the juice boy game, where players try to shoot the puck in the top two corners of the net which are blocked off by sticks. Well, Boudreau joined in the fun today and lost, so he got to carry the tray of Gatorade cups around to his players.

"This is an honor," David Steckel said as he received his refreshment.

"Bruce! I want water," Alex Ovechkin said as he entered the dressing room. "I want water."

"You're going to get Gatorade and you're going to like it," Boudreau said.

They were all good sports about it, but Boudreau assured us media folk that he'd never carry the juice tray again.

"We played the helmet game once [in Hershey]. The first time, I won. The second time I lost and I vowed to never do it again," Boudreau said. "Three years later, I play a game here, win, and I'm saying, 'Okay, I'll play it the second time.' Everybody seemed to be in a good mood today and I'll never play it again."

The S17 pays dividends for Sergei! Anyone see Green flop on his face coming off the bench to celebrate? Lol.

HA! Yes!! I had to rewind the DVR like 5 times to try and find out WTF Green was doing!!!! My G/F was even like, WTF!? Did he do some belly-flop on the ice on purpose b/c they finally won the game?" I still have no clue what happened?? Funny as hell though!

Clipped his right skate as he was trying to hop on the ice to celebrate. BAM. Haha.

Greenie, -3? Come on.

Stats don't always tell the whole story. But Carolina def has the front 6 talent to help them make a strong push for the playoffs.

Ward seemed off tonight many shots left some bad rebounds. And I hate the shoot-out! unless we win of course ....

great atmosphere tonight at the phone booth. It was really loud and packed.

great atmosphere tonight at the phone booth. It was really loud and packed.

+1. Stats may not tell the whole story, but Green did not have an effective defensive game tonight. A whiff gave the Canes the puck before Cole banked it in off the far post, and his joining the 5-1 rush and falling into the right corner gave him no chance to protect Theo on the 2-1 (God bless Sem for being back, as ineffective as he was :lol:). As I read on the Caps' site last night, both Green and Sem were on the ice for more goals than Cam Ward, since Ward was off the ice on Whitney's delayed penalty goal. All four young guns scoring, if only Flash had scored we would've seen all the Verizon Center's animations!

Great to have Pothier called back up!

I think Varlamov is the more important call-up there.

Pothier hasn't played in around 14months I hope im just skeptical but I don't see what he is going to bring over the physical presence of Erskine. Assuming they sit Erskine for Pothier.

Pothier is an incredibly smart hockey player. Johnny Erskine is a bear, and ever a more effective one (plus he's a Kingston boy) but he's not going to give you those seeing-eye passes into the neutral zone.

The Caps have some impressive depth on D.

Pothier hasn't played in around 14months I hope im just skeptical but I don't see what he is going to bring over the physical presence of Erskine. Assuming they sit Erskine for Pothier.

I'm hoping he brings a better outlet pass than Sarge, rather than try to slot him in for Erskine

I'm hoping he brings a better outlet pass than Sarge, rather than try to slot him in for Erskine

As captain of the I hate Sarge fan club he has played 100x better the past 3 games. Good positioning, a hit or two, and actually getting the puck out.

I still think there is a long way to go with him but I saw glimmers of hope sort of like with Flash.

I think Pothier for Schultz would be a smarter move to keep Erskine's grit. I don't see coach BB doing that. Schultzy hasn't sat all year and Erskine or Juice always seem to be the one rotated out.

As captain of the I hate Sarge fan club he has played 100x better the past 3 games. Good positioning, a hit or two, and actually getting the puck out.

I still think there is a long way to go with him but I saw glimmers of hope sort of like with Flash.

I think Pothier for Schultz would be a smarter move to keep Erskine's grit. I don't see coach BB doing that. Schultzy hasn't sat all year and Erskine or Juice always seem to be the one rotated out.

Don't underrate Erskine.

In the Nashville game the caps only took 3 minor penalties all game. John Erskine was leading the team in icetime in the first period by almost a minute.

I think the coaches think he is a touch slow for special teams, but they really like him at even strength. His minutes suggest he is a 6/7 guy, but in a low penalty game, he gets his ice time.

Don't underrate Erskine.

In the Nashville game the caps only took 3 minor penalties all game. John Erskine was leading the team in icetime in the first period by almost a minute.

I think the coaches think he is a touch slow for special teams, but they really like him at even strength. His minutes suggest he is a 6/7 guy, but in a low penalty game, he gets his ice time.

I didn't underrate Erskine at all. In fact I was saying I want Erskine in the game instead of Pothier or Schultz BUT the coach seems to always gravitate towards benching anyone but Schultzy when new players come up.

Usually its Erskine sitting which I DO NOT agree with.

Two assists from Johnny Erskine, climbing the ladder in my favorite defenceman category. He's hitting, grinding, making the boring but safe play, and causing a ruckus for opposing forwards in front of Theo. Atta boy John.

Two assists from Johnny Erskine, climbing the ladder in my favorite defenceman category. He's hitting, grinding, making the boring but safe play, and causing a ruckus for opposing forwards in front of Theo. Atta boy John.

Yeah he is quickly proving worth that contract extension. As long as he has the right partner Erskine can play his game which is gritty and finishing off checks.

I'm glad Theo got the SO he has definitely been one of the Caps best players of late and deserves it.

Secondary scoring has been nice too.

Anyone see Varlamov's new mask? There is a video on CAPS365 that details it. Very similar to Neurvith's mask, half AHL/NHL and their nickname along the bottom.