Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Blackstone Flat-Bottom V Thread

Who is your sharpener? There are different spinners that you can get other than the 2 that have been mentioned.

I skated on the FBV for the first time tonight and while I liked the extra glide, I think I need to go back to the drawing board.

I was getting WAY too much bite on the edges... It was a lot harder to stop and it felt like the edge grabbed too much ice. On skating exercises such as forward one foot power pulls, I found it very difficult to transition from one edge to another.

I *think* what I am experiencing is too much bite... Almost like I prefer the shallower hollow concept, but don't need the extra bite the FBV provides. Does that make sense? Perhaps I need more time on them, but I felt like I was going to kill myself out there.

I plan to discuss my options with my sharpener tomorrow. I have the equivalent of a 5/8 FBV.

Who is your sharpener? There are different spinners that you can get other than the 2 that have been mentioned.
I skated on the FBV for the first time tonight and while I liked the extra glide, I think I need to go back to the drawing board.

I was getting WAY too much bite on the edges... It was a lot harder to stop and it felt like the edge grabbed too much ice. On skating exercises such as forward one foot power pulls, I found it very difficult to transition from one edge to another.

I *think* what I am experiencing is too much bite... Almost like I prefer the shallower hollow concept, but don't need the extra bite the FBV provides. Does that make sense? Perhaps I need more time on them, but I felt like I was going to kill myself out there.

I plan to discuss my options with my sharpener tomorrow. I have the equivalent of a 5/8 FBV.

Bob @ No Icing is my sharpener. Am I correct in my basic assumption that under traditional sharpening, a shallower hollow leads to decreased bite?

If that's the case, I think what I'd like is the glide of a shallow hollow, but with bite comparable to a 9/16 or 5/8 or close. Is that possible?

Hey John,

Bob does the FBV with 5/8 or 1/2. So, if you went with the 1/2 you'll feel a little more bite than you're used to. If you went with 5/8 I would think you'd feel a little less bite than you're used to. Of course you also have to take into account that if you had a different person sharpening your skates before this you may also be experiencing a difference with actually having your skates done properly now.

The way I look at it is that I'm quicker doing everything now. I can stop without sliding as much and my straightaway speed is much better. It's like the best of both worlds.

I would just email Bob and tell him what you're experiencing. You can get the 2" glide with the 5/8" bite from Bob.

Bob knows what he is doing. I think you should give it another go. You are correct with a shallow hollow leads to less bite however there is nothing wrong with bite with the fbv. you maybe just use to less bite because you were trying to increase speed. when you have both speed and bite you have a distinct advantage. If you can over come the bite you will be able to do moves and other things that you can't with the bite. Go on it again and see what happens. The worst thing that can happen is you decide you don't like it and get your skates sharpened on the old hollow. Which is not a bad thing, however I think you will find you like the fbv once you get use to it.

Hey John,

Bob does the FBV with 5/8 or 1/2. So, if you went with the 1/2 you'll feel a little more bite than you're used to. If you went with 5/8 I would think you'd feel a little less bite than you're used to. Of course you also have to take into account that if you had a different person sharpening your skates before this you may also be experiencing a difference with actually having your skates done properly now.

The way I look at it is that I'm quicker doing everything now. I can stop without sliding as much and my straightaway speed is much better. It's like the best of both worlds.

I would just email Bob and tell him what you're experiencing. You can get the 2" glide with the 5/8" bite from Bob.

Thanks! Bob's been doing my skates for about 4 years I think... The plan was to go with the 5/8, but it's possible that 1/2 was accidently done. Either way, I don't think I should be feeling more bite than a 9/16 would offer... So exactly what you said... I expected the same or less level of bite.

Or it could be that I just suck. :P

lol, I here you about sucking. It also could be that you had an expectation built up. The best thing you can do is work with it and then make a decision.

Edited by SAK

lol, I here you about sucking. It also could be that you had an expectation built up. The best thing you can do is work with it and then make a decision.

Ok so now I have customers calling me at home to find out what stores do the FBV.......LOL

I wish I could win the Lottery I would put it in all...LOL!

Hey John,

Thanks! Bob's been doing my skates for about 4 years I think... The plan was to go with the 5/8, but it's possible that 1/2 was accidently done. Either way, I don't think I should be feeling more bite than a 9/16 would offer... So exactly what you said... I expected the same or less level of bite.

Or it could be that I just suck. :P

Well, since Bob's been doing your skates I can't say you feel a difference because of bad sharpenings then. Maybe you did end up with the 1/2 and it's just a little adjustment for you. I skated on 3/4" before I got FBV and now I'm at 5/8" and like the increased bite. The only reason I was on 3/4 was for the extra speed. Hope it works out for you.

Update: Bob says that if I asked for an equivalent of 5/8 then that's what I got.

What I am experiencing does not sound like the 5/8 equivalent (based on what everyone else is saying) but there's nothing I can do about it.

From all the replies, the adjustment time should be minimal. That is definitley not what I experienced. FYI: I've never been finicky with my blades before and usally transition from different hollows and profiles pretty easily.

For now, I'm going back to a standard cut because I have games this weekend.

Update: Bob says that if I asked for an equivalent of 5/8 then that's what I got.

What I am experiencing does not sound like the 5/8 equivalent (based on what everyone else is saying) but there's nothing I can do about it.

From all the replies, the adjustment time should be minimal. That is definitley not what I experienced. FYI: I've never been finicky with my blades before and usally transition from different hollows and profiles pretty easily.

For now, I'm going back to a standard cut because I have games this weekend.

John, it's real odd that you are experiencing too much bite with the 90/75. From what I've found is skaters crossing over from 9/16 and shallower have found the 90/75 perfect. You have 2 sets of steel, send them back and we'll redo it again, don't give up!

I just got my son's blade back from Bob, and can tell a big difference just in looks. He hasn't tried them yet as his next ice time isn't until tomorrow and I can't wait to hear how likes them. He's always the 1/2" hollow and I got that done the same with FBV. My only question is how is the durability as far as will they need to be sharpened more often? With the FBV I notice how "little" steel is actually used as an edge and wondered if it will hold up the same as the regular sharpening. We have always used a flat stone and sweet stick in between sharpenings to lengthen the time in between. I have used Bob for about 4 years now and have no complaints at all, he is the BEST. Just looking for some feedback from users of the FBV. Thanks.

PS-He wears Mission XP 120 skates if anybody thinks maybe the steel might be a factor. Mission steel has never let us down yet as far as durability and holding an edge.

FWIW, last Sunday I skated at the Gut and when closing one of the outer doors to the locker rooms (security), I planted one skate on painted concrete. A bit of cursing for stupidity, I was tempted to just change steel ... but then tried it anyways ... and the FBV edge was still there.

Well prior to forking over the dough I bought this concept hook line and sinker. I received my X02 last week and my FBV yesterday. Today was set up day. I am working on my own personal skate work shop so when I am done I will post pictures. I have never sharpened skates before so I admit I was nervous strapping my One95's on the holder the first time. After testing my hand with my Flex lites I finally sharpened my 95's.

I noticed immediately that the holder slid very easily on the table top. I was concerned about my ability to keep a steady hand but the holder slid effortlessly and seemed to almost be propelled by the wheel. I am having difficulty setting up the holder. I am not sure if I am over adjusting but I do need to adjust the holder when I switch to my sons One 70's or Vapors. I guess I will work on that but it takes me too long in m opinion.

I had 2 skates tonight, a practice for 9 year olds and a bar league game. I am highly technical when teaching edges. I perform every skill for the boys, extreme outside edge work. The X02 is all that it is billed to be. I thought the One 95's were special but the FBV takes that feeling to new levels. Outside edges lock in and I find myself gliding around one footed outside edges with ease. The glide is all it is billed to be for sure, starting at the blue line, two strides to red line and I glided all the way around the net to the far blue line before I just stopped the glide to jump out of the way of one of my players.

To add to a previous post regarding the feel of the blade, i definitely think they feel smoother over rough ice.

During my game I split the D with little effort, there is not doubt the FBV improved my performance.

I have the 90/75 and was previously getting a 9/16 or half in the summer. I did not find the FBV to be overly sharp.

I want to thank Steve for his assistance and patience with me while I was making my decision. You were very helpful.