Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Blackstone Flat-Bottom V Thread

Did you guys pick up 296 holders/steel?

I will be doing FBVs as well in a short bit. :)

Are you coming to Boston anytime soon? haha.. I just need to not be lazy and go for a drive to get mine done. I'm pretty curious to try this.

Harder steel, did you redress?

yeah, a couple times. Didn't change the noise at all.

Chadd... should have some new pitch steel coming here soon... mission closeout for $8 a peice..... still trying to convince Andrew to get at least the portable, will have to take him to the booth in Vegas

I will bring my portable down as soon as I get my FBV spinner. I have to check the schedule but I think I have four days off next week. And I'll take a couple pair or steel, as well as at least one pair of holders.

Did you guys pick up 296 holders/steel?

I will be doing FBVs as well in a short bit. :)

I don't think we ordered anything other then what i added for myself. I need to check to see when that stuff is coming in anyway, picked up a fuel ti pro as well

My 2 week review of X02 with 90/75 FBV

I have resolved my skate holder balancing issues, it just takes practice although I do still have to learn more about the rear control, pitch and when to use it. My boys and I continue to skate on the FBV and enjoy it. I have asked them if they care to switch back and their response was absolutley not.

So last week I began sharpening skates for one of the best female high school hockey players in Minnesota. The first sharpening happened 4 days prior to the biggest girls tourney shy of the state tourney. She skated on them for 4 days 2 hour practices each day then played one game. I had to sharpen them for her prior to her second game.

Her review, a little fishtail when she woudl glide wiht straight legs but did notice enough performance difference. Enough positive difference that she wants to continue using the FBV sharpening.

My review, I would not mind trying a FBV with a little more bite, I just think that might prolong the time between sharpenings but also give me more room for error on each sharpening. I still feel like the skate holder setting is more critical with FBV than normal radius. Would you agree?

Over all I continue to believe the FBV does have a positive impact on skating, speed and edges. I do believe it will require more frequent sharpenings that standard but hey for LHS that only means greater revenue, this is only my opinion.

Can't wait to try it, just received and swapped out the steel. My one95s are now FBV-ified, first session will be a coaching session. Thanks again OTG!

Can't wait to try it, just received and swapped out the steel. My one95s are now FBV-ified, first session will be a coaching session. Thanks again OTG!

So sorry for the delays!! Now that I have my Portable I can do it much faster!

haha, no problem. I haven't needed to skate a whole lot the past couple of weeks anyway(burnt out). Although, I'm glad I have them now, we're planning a couple hours of ice time this weekend. :)

My review, I would not mind trying a FBV with a little more bite, I just think that might prolong the time between sharpenings but also give me more room for error on each sharpening. I still feel like the skate holder setting is more critical with FBV than normal radius. Would you agree?

No. Letting them go longer between sharpenings means your edges will get dull. If you are having problems with alignment, keep practicing. Your best bet is just to get better, not look for shortcuts or cop-outs.

My 2 week review of X02 with 90/75 FBV

I have resolved my skate holder balancing issues, it just takes practice although I do still have to learn more about the rear control, pitch and when to use it. My boys and I continue to skate on the FBV and enjoy it. I have asked them if they care to switch back and their response was absolutley not.

So last week I began sharpening skates for one of the best female high school hockey players in Minnesota. The first sharpening happened 4 days prior to the biggest girls tourney shy of the state tourney. She skated on them for 4 days 2 hour practices each day then played one game. I had to sharpen them for her prior to her second game.

Her review, a little fishtail when she woudl glide wiht straight legs but did notice enough performance difference. Enough positive difference that she wants to continue using the FBV sharpening.

Over all I continue to believe the FBV does have a positive impact on skating, speed and edges. I do believe it will require more frequent sharpenings that standard but hey for LHS that only means greater revenue, this is only my opinion.

Try the 100/75 It is now available in the mini spinner. It has more bite than the 90/75.

All of you older Blackstone owners/users (not X01 and X02), which one of these grinding wheel would you recommend and why?

http://blackstonesport.com/skate_sharpening_accessories.php

I do mainly hockey skates of all ranges on this spinner portable http://blackstonesport.com/spinner_portabl...ing_machine.php

kindly customized for me by Blackstone by making a turbo version out of it.

Thank you

PS: Great machine, great folks and great customer service

PPS: Special thanks to JR for his insights and advice

Edited by Ivan

I had Bob at No Icing do a set of blades with FVB using the 5/8" equivalent (90/75?). I put them on last night and crashed the last five minutes of my son's hockey class during free skate. Even though I wasn't able to try anything really fast or complicated, it felt like the skates would go on and on forever with a single push. There was some chattering on my stops, but I just need more time on them. It really feels like skating downhill. The only hockey I play now is an informal session on a covered outdoor rink with lots of snow buildup. I'm hoping that these will keep me fresh for the whole session. Who knew that a small investment in a sharpening could get me better results than a large investment in the latest and greatest in high end skates? (Yes, I've stopped looking in the sell section) :)

I got nine hours of ice time out of my first sharpening...could have gone longer but wanted fresh edges for our first league game. Edges seem to last at least as long as my old grinds used to...maybe even longer since the bite is increased and I don't feel the need to strap up fresh steel every few skates to compensate...

Edited by Moto

Has anyone skating on the FBV 2" / 5/8", come from a regular sharpened hollow of 1"?

I'm waiting for my blades from Bob, having him do the 5/8 but am concerned that coming from a 1" regular hollow is going to make the edges feels way too sharp??

I had Bob at No Icing do a set of blades with FVB using the 5/8" equivalent (90/75?). I put them on last night and crashed the last five minutes of my son's hockey class during free skate. Even though I wasn't able to try anything really fast or complicated, it felt like the skates would go on and on forever with a single push. There was some chattering on my stops, but I just need more time on them. It really feels like skating downhill. The only hockey I play now is an informal session on a covered outdoor rink with lots of snow buildup. I'm hoping that these will keep me fresh for the whole session. Who knew that a small investment in a sharpening could get me better results than a large investment in the latest and greatest in high end skates? (Yes, I've stopped looking in the sell section) :)

I was wondering if anybody else had experienced the "chattering" on their stops because I noticed my son's blades doing the same thing, and he is using the 1/2" equivalent. I had thought maybe to go to the 5/8", but he wants to try the 1/2" one more time first.

Maybe a stupid question, but has anybody else noticed the burring alot more than the "normal" sharpening? His first couple games with the FBV and he has a couple bad burrs on each blade. He says he didn't hit anything with them, ie goal post or boards, so not sure why this is happening. Any suggestions?

My son first tried the 100/75 and I noticed some chattering when he stopped. Previous to FBV he was skating on 9/16th, so I assumed there was just too much bite. I am now putting the 90/75 on his blades and I have yet to see the chatter issue. Also I have not notice an increase of nicks or burs to his edges since going to the FBV. He has been skating quite a bit lately outside on our rink, or the pond, which tend to be a little harder on steel. The FBV seems to hold up well under these conditions. I now have enough confidence in my sharpening ability to give others the oppurtinuty to try the FBV. I gathered up the other coaches skates and went to work. Last night all the coaches were giving it a try. It was like a bunch of kids with a new toy they were all grinning from ear to ear, and commenting not only on the amount of glide you get but also the byte you get when turning. It was hilarious to see a bunch of grown men out doing power skating drills in the corners just to see how the FBV would perform, with the biggest smiles on their faces. All of them were coming from 1/2 and I put them on 90/75. It really is a unique expereince the first time you skate on it. The sharpener takes some time to get familier with, but with a few conversations on the phone with the fine folks at Blackstone, I have no problem getting a good consistant sharpening with each set of skates I do.

Has anyone skating on the FBV 2" / 5/8", come from a regular sharpened hollow of 1"?

I'm waiting for my blades from Bob, having him do the 5/8 but am concerned that coming from a 1" regular hollow is going to make the edges feels way too sharp??

I have a bit of experience with this. The first NHL player that I worked with was Cory Stillman from Florida. He was currently at an 1.5" roh so I had the same concerns that you had. It ended up that I had to leave the prototype 90/75 spinner behind because he did not want to go back to an 1.5 roh. I'm not saying that you will experience the same however it worked out for Cory. Let me know how it works out for you.

I was wondering if anybody else had experienced the "chattering" on their stops because I noticed my son's blades doing the same thing, and he is using the 1/2" equivalent. I had thought maybe to go to the 5/8", but he wants to try the 1/2" one more time first.

Maybe a stupid question, but has anybody else noticed the burring alot more than the "normal" sharpening? His first couple games with the FBV and he has a couple bad burrs on each blade. He says he didn't hit anything with them, ie goal post or boards, so not sure why this is happening. Any suggestions?

As far as the chattering goes it is to do with the bite angle. if he went to the 90/75 he would have less however he would give up the bite that he may be enjoying now. If he has nicks or "burrs" he would have picked them up from some sort of contact, as the blades are steel and would not get nicks no matter what FBV or ROH you had on the steel. Hope it helps. BTW the 100/75 is closer to a 3/8 Bite. You will actually feel slightly faster on it than the 90/75 and have more bite.

That does help SAK thank you. I don't mean to sound ignorant, but is there a "conversion" chart you can post so I can print it? I mean, I am confused on the 100/75 stuff, I am stuck on the "standard" 1/2", 5/8". I know the radius is 2", but how do you match to the bite? I'm sure it is posted somewhere on the forum, but reading 30 pages of posts makes me go crosseyed. LOL

It ended up that I had to leave the prototype 90/75 spinner behind because he did not want to go back to an 1.5 roh.

SAK - thanks for the reply. Please excuse my ignorance here but did Cory make the same switch, to a FBV 5/8"?

That does help SAK thank you. I don't mean to sound ignorant, but is there a "conversion" chart you can post so I can print it? I mean, I am confused on the 100/75 stuff, I am stuck on the "standard" 1/2", 5/8". I know the radius is 2", but how do you match to the bite? I'm sure it is posted somewhere on the forum, but reading 30 pages of posts makes me go crosseyed. LOL

I was thinking of starting a different string for the same reason. We are in the process of developing a Website that will answer all of the conversion's I know it is like learning a new language but the best I can tell you is that more bite does not mean less glide when it comes to the FBV. That is what is so cool about it. Site should be up pretty soon I will post it asap.

It ended up that I had to leave the prototype 90/75 spinner behind because he did not want to go back to an 1.5 roh.

SAK - thanks for the reply. Please excuse my ignorance here but did Cory make the same switch, to a FBV 5/8"?

Yes, It took him about 10 min of practice and he was happy that he had bite and the glide. He was having fun making the tight turns that you can do with a "deep" ROH.

Sweet. I'm anxious to get these blades and see how they feel. I've been tinkering with my hollows for some time, trying to find that optimal balance between glide (what I really mean is less work) and bite.

This process sounds like the holy grail.

Sweet. I'm anxious to get these blades and see how they feel. I've been tinkering with my hollows for some time, trying to find that optimal balance between glide (what I really mean is less work) and bite.

This process sounds like the holy grail.

I'm a good Catholic so if you find it I want in on the action.

I'm wondering if there's any data out there for time trials or other info.

I remember when the speed skaters started using clap skates, they could take like 3 seconds off a 1500m race. Is there any similar data for FBV blades vs. hollowed ones?