Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AmoriZep

Heel Tape Wear...?

got into a bit of a debate last night with someone on the matter....

what does heel tape wear (heel only...not even) on the blade of your stick mean?.....should you be switching to a higher lie or lower lie as result? do you need to switch lies, or maybe just cut down or increase the length of the stick you're using?

Usually it means the lie is too high. Switching to a lower lie could help, as could cutting down your stick, but personally I find no matter how long or short the stick is, if my tape wears at the heel, the length doesn't make a difference.

But if your passing and shooting is fine, I wouldn't worry about it. Or switch to stronger tape :P

Usually it means the lie is too high. Switching to a lower lie could help, as could cutting down your stick, but personally I find no matter how long or short the stick is, if my tape wears at the heel, the length doesn't make a difference.

But if your passing and shooting is fine, I wouldn't worry about it. Or switch to stronger tape :P

EXACTLY what i had said.....someone was trying to convince me the opposite....all you have to do is picture it in your head as to why the lie would need to be lower....

My tape wears on the heel from letting it sit out in front of me on the ice while striding, but I am positive I'm using a good lie. Now if only I could get a whip standard shaft that won't torque out on me...

But yes, your friend either has high/low wrong in his head or he doesn't know how to visualize and is too pig-headed to concede the point.

haha when you find one rustpot, let me know.

Pro stock AK-27's that I had were pretty good, but I can't stand the shaft shape of Warrior sticks. I'd give 2 or 3 sticks for a boxy, clear, ~360 AK. TPS Rubber is a good stick, cruddy torque. I'm not too impressed with the Montreal 6500 I have. I've picked up two tapered I need to try, I might make the switch and just use retail Drury patterns if they turn out being any better.

Does TPS makes a standard shaft with the new tri-flex profile? I think having a 100 flex lower portion might help cut torque out.

HM better have PS Ak-27s this year again. Im buying all of the 360/380. I love that shaft you sold me Rustpot. Thing is a TANK.

If they do and you snag a boxy PF or clear... give me a shout!

Yeah, that's why I said the lie usually indicates...if you are a puck handler, it's more important the lie matches your stride, but if you are more of a shooter, it's more important it works for your shot. They aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, but if you're tall and shoot with the puck close to you, might have a lot more tape wear than if you keep the puck further away and bend your knees quite a bit.

I'm hoping for a couple 340/320 flex Dolos this year :)

HM better have PS Ak-27s this year again. Im buying all of the 360/380. I love that shaft you sold me Rustpot. Thing is a TANK.

If they do and you snag a boxy PF or clear... give me a shout!

Haha, yikes. I love the boxy shaft shape. If I get multiple, I will send one your way for sure!

the tape of my sticks tend to wear at the heel. ive tried going to a lower lie with good wear in the middle of blade and kept losing the puck in games when ive got less time to operate. IMO rather a bit high than too low, i am more of a shooter though.

Not to hijack the thread, but it seems to me that a few years ago a 6 lie was pretty much standard, with the occasional 5 being available. Now it seems like 5 is very common, and even 4's are availabe (at least in Warrior). I've also seen some 5.5's. If I'm correct, what's the explanation? Also, it does seem like there's some variation in different mfg's lie numbers. Mainly, from my limited experience, I'm not sure the Warrior lies are the same as other mfg's; I think they're a little high compared to other companies. (That is a Warrior 5 is a little higher than other mfg's 5.)

Not to hijack the thread, but it seems to me that a few years ago a 6 lie was pretty much standard, with the occasional 5 being available. Now it seems like 5 is very common, and even 4's are availabe (at least in Warrior). I've also seen some 5.5's. If I'm correct, what's the explanation? Also, it does seem like there's some variation in different mfg's lie numbers. Mainly, from my limited experience, I'm not sure the Warrior lies are the same as other mfg's; I think they're a little high compared to other companies. (That is a Warrior 5 is a little higher than other mfg's 5.)

Warriors numbers are not even close to accurate and are usually listed lower than they really are. The amount of rocker on their blades determines how far off the lies are. Bigger rockers will be much farther off than flatter bottomed blades.

What's the advantage to more rocker?

Makes it easier for most people to toe drag, easier to cup the puck on the ice and allows you to use a stick with the wrong lie as at least some part of the blade will still be on the ice.

I've been trying to watch my tape wear to see which area of the blade I am wearing more/most and then adjust stick length or lie accordingly.

Problem is, even with white tape instead of black, I find it difficult to really see where I'm getting the most wear..

Does anyone have any suggestion(s) as to what I could possibly cover the bottom of the blade/tape with, that would give a better visual of the wear pattern?

Any ideas/input would be appreciated, it's a bit overkill, I know, but I just want to be certain that I'm getting proper blade contact with the ice.

After two games or longer, you should def. see wear at least on the black tape that I use. When you play, you should have your stick down on the ice anyway to give your teammates a target to pass to.

If you use black tape, add a strip of white tape to the bottom of your blade before taping it normally with the black. As the black wears the white will show through.

Vice versa if you use white.

If you use black tape, add a strip of white tape to the bottom of your blade before taping it normally with the black. As the black wears the white will show through.

Vice versa if you use white.

I always put a strip along the bottom. I never thought of using a different color. Good idea man

What's the advantage to more rocker?

consider the wider angle range your shaft can make relative to the ice, and still have a good amount of blade on the ice.

I always put a strip along the bottom. I never thought of using a different color. Good idea man

I've been doing this, too. I just suggest using a color that is also different from the color of the blade. I use red, that way if I see black, I know its REALLY time to retape :)

What's the consensus as far as tape wear as a reliable indicator of proper lie (and/or length)?

The Warrior Savard pattern comes in three lies...

I bought the "6 lie" blade and had concentrated heel wear.

Going along with the "more heel wear, lower lie or less length" theory, I bought the "5 lie" blade, put it into the same shaft in which I previously had the "6 lie" so that stick length would remain consistent, and again am experiencing more wear at the heel.

I may end up giving the "4 lie" blade a shot or just decrease shaft length at 1/4" intervals, but I wanted to get forum feedback as far as the legitimacy of tape wear as a relevant and reliable indicator of proper lie/length.