Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jaygatsby

Getting my girlfriend skates

Hey everyone

My girlfriend likes to go skating at the rinks around here and I'm thinking about getting her a pair of hockey skates for christmas. I realize she should be fitted for them professionally but 1) that would ruin the surprise and 2) she's not Pavel Bure and won't be spending more than an hour at a time on the ice.

So what's the deal with girls hockey skates? Do they usually just wear junior's? And how does shoe size relate?

According to the Big D, women's show sizes are about two sizes smaller. She wears size 9 women's shoes and generally fits 7 to 7.5 men's shoes.

By the way, I highly endorse hockey skates for those who don't skate much. I'm aware of at least five times at the rink when I suggested someone switch from figure skates to hockey skates, and they all agreed the hockey skates were easier to learn.

Get her fitted for skates. She won't have any fun skating if her feet hurt cause her skates don't fit. If you want to surprise her, you could put together a cute package with some laces, maybe some fun colored soakers for them, stuff like that, but after that go out with her and have someone fit them properly.

As for woman's skates, I'm a chick and I wear men's skates (no way I would fit in juniors, but I have a friend that does and it's great since they're cheaper). I'm a size 9-9.5 in womens street shoes and I have size 7 Mission skates.

Getting her fitted would be the best thing to do, since you're taking a shot in the dark at what size she needs...

I say buy her a pair (any random pair), and make sure you tell the store employee that this is a gift, and that you'll be returning after Christmas to get her fitted properly. It could mean getting a different skate altogether, but at least she'll have something concrete on X-Mas day...

That's the best way to do it - buy them and keep the receipt. That way you have something under the tree, then come back and have her fitted.

Rule of thumb, you're looking at 2 sizes down from her shoe size.

Hey everyone

My girlfriend likes to go skating at the rinks around here and I'm thinking about getting her a pair of hockey skates for christmas. I realize she should be fitted for them professionally but 1) that would ruin the surprise and 2) she's not Pavel Bure and won't be spending more than an hour at a time on the ice.

So what's the deal with girls hockey skates? Do they usually just wear junior's? And how does shoe size relate?

I would give her a picture of skates wrapped up, and then tell her you are going in to get them fitted properly. She still gets the surprise and she also gets a pair of skates that fit right

If she is just interested in public skating maybe a pair of nice recreational skates would do the trick. I am not sure but I think that type of skate fits true to size. LL Bean sells some nice recreational skates. Now if you are trying to get her into more than recreational skating then Rec skates would not be sufficient for long. Although I did play a few games with a guy who played hockey in Rec skates. He didn't block any shots, however :lol:

Hey everyone

I would give her a picture of skates wrapped up, and then tell her you are going in to get them fitted properly. She still gets the surprise and she also gets a pair of skates that fit right

Stores will understand it's a Christmas present. It happens all the time.

What about a gift card instead of the skates? She still gets a present, and then she can go get fitted for the skates.

Still cooler to have skates under the tree. If I wanted a new power drill I'd rather have the wrong model than a picture or a gift card to Home Depot. And returns are a lot less of a hassle at a LHS than a big box store.

My ex was a women's size 8.5, I think the one time she was trying on skates when she tagged along to the LHS she found a set of 4.5 Vapors that fit her. So she'd be a mens 6.5, and went down 2 sizes for her skates.

Stores will understand it's a Christmas present. It happens all the time.

They know they will still be getting your business. If you don't return them, then they still sold a pair of skates. If you do return them, then you'll be buying another pair after getting fitted by an employee. Just remember to give them your confidence that you'll be back to purchase from them if they don't fit, and keep to that promise.

You sure you want to do that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SecVCh9dg4I

Hahaha... Yeah... Imagine that, for 2 whole weeks... Actually skip the hahaha, yeah, it's not fun.

Do make sure to have some cute backups (A nice new set of scarfs plus mittens for the cold rink, maybe add in a cute teddy bear in skates in the package?) in case she doesn't really want a new pair of skates.

Lots of parents here pick up a pair of skates at the price range their kids want/need for Christmas regardless of the size just so there's something under the tree. Thus, we extend our return policy so that it's 30 days following Christmas seeing as they are for a gift.

Many skates have been sold this way. Of course, we sometimes try to get skates to fit as well as we can, but most will still come back to be fitted properly after Christmas. Pretty funny really, seeing parents bring in their kids insole, or a measurement of the kid's foot... or in one case, a cardboard cut-out of the feet taken whilst the kid was asleep!

The cardboard cut-out reminded me of the parent who came into my shop to get skates for his kid, without bringing in the kid. The guy reaches into his pocket and pulls out the kids prosthetic foot! It was a little unexpected... but we got the kid in the right size.

Get her fitted for skates. She won't have any fun skating if her feet hurt cause her skates don't fit. If you want to surprise her, you could put together a cute package with some laces, maybe some fun colored soakers for them, stuff like that, but after that go out with her and have someone fit them properly.

As for woman's skates, I'm a chick and I wear men's skates (no way I would fit in juniors, but I have a friend that does and it's great since they're cheaper). I'm a size 9-9.5 in womens street shoes and I have size 7 Mission skates.

I wear inline skates, however, some of the following may still be relevent.

Im a chick and I wear junior skates.... and Im not _that_ short (5'5"). Size 5.5 in a Mission (39 euro, the only common size amongst my shoes collection). If she has small feet then junior skates may or may not fit depending on the width of her feet.

If she has wide feet there may be some issues, a junior skate may simply not fit correctly. I would call my skates borderline as to whether they are wide enough or not (I have wide feet). Adult sized feet, even when they are small are different to junior feet.

I agree to get them fitted and put together a cute surprise package :)

Cute teddy bear? She's 22, not 12. Thanks for the advice.

Im a bit older than she is... IMO tigers are the way to go ;)

You can do a little forensic work and do a quick "in her sleep" foot measuring. :ph34r: The people at your LHS could be a little more help if they at least know the length of her foot. Just a little thought. :lol:

I wear inline skates, however, some of the following may still be relevent.

Im a chick and I wear junior skates.... and Im not _that_ short (5'5"). Size 5.5 in a Mission (39 euro, the only common size amongst my shoes collection). If she has small feet then junior skates may or may not fit depending on the width of her feet.

What size (womens) shoe do you wear? My girl is a 7.5 in womens and it seems most senior skates start at size 6, which would probably be a little big.