Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RadioGaGa

The "Holy Crap, Did You See That Goal?" Thread

Jamie: I agree. I don't understand the hatred of moves like that.

When a Second baseman takes the flip from short and jumps to avoid the slide, kinda half rotates in the air, and throws to first to turn a double play...no ones goes, "oh, he should have planted both feet and thrown it "normally"."

What's the difference between goal that and a hard fake right to left. It's designed to distract/trick the goalie into a move that opens up a scoring spot. That's what he did.

The mentality of "That's gonna get him a target on him back next time" is another part of the problem with headshots and dirty play...so when someone DOES take a run or cheap shot at him...Shanny should say "no suspension b/c he scored between the legs so that's ok that someone 2 handed him" ?!?!?

Skilled athletes doing skilled things...that's what makes sports exciting to watch.

The second baseman avoiding the slide isn't hotdogging, Hertl's goal was. Would he have tried that in a tied or 1 goal game? To be clear, noone is mad that he scored but you don't pull that kind of hotdog move to do it.

Comparing Hertl's goal to a baseball scenario would be something like riding your bat like a horse on the way to first after hitting a home run, not making a play to avoid a slide.

Comparing Hertl's goal to a baseball scenario would be something like riding your bat like a horse on the way to first after hitting a home run, not making a play to avoid a slide.

He didn't do anything stupid like that to celebrate after scoring.For that matter, people still talk about Tiger Williams riding his stick and nobody criticized him for doing it. This was more like calling his shot than it was making an ass of himself after the fact. To pull that move off with a defenseman on his ass and an NHL caliber goalie in front of him takes a lot of talent. The league should be celebrating the play and having someone with a little bit of flair, not beating him up over it. The league needs more personality, not less.

Ok, maybe that specific baseball example is a bad one...

But a player can field a ball with 2 hands...like you are SUPPOSED to, and likely make the throw to get him at first. Some guys charge in, bare hand, on the run, throw across the body...is it flashy...YES, does it make the play harder to complete? YES. Is it what they feel was the best way to make that play...YES.

Why is a hard deke OK, but between the legs is not. if that's what he felt gave him the best chance to score...then do it

I've seen other NHL players score the same way. Why was it not such a big deal for them to do it? Jonathan Cheechoo did it years ago. Tomas Vanek did it the night after Hertl did it. If that shot is so disrespectful to the league, why is a spin-o-rama any different?

Ok, maybe that specific baseball example is a bad one...

But a player can field a ball with 2 hands...like you are SUPPOSED to, and likely make the throw to get him at first. Some guys charge in, bare hand, on the run, throw across the body...is it flashy...YES, does it make the play harder to complete? YES. Is it what they feel was the best way to make that play...YES.

Why is a hard deke OK, but between the legs is not. if that's what he felt gave him the best chance to score...then do it

Still doesn't work. A baseball player will barehand the ball because he doesn't think he has the time to transfer the ball from glove to throwing hand.

By pulling the puck through his legs Hertl evaded Staal on his right, and fooled the goaltender. Both of those things seem like good ideas when trying to score a goal.

TPS. Time, place, score.

The Mike Legg 'Michigan' was a GWG, if i can recall. That is the exhilariation of a exciting sports moment.

Hertl does a move that anyone can do, but it's 8-2 at that point. When I saw that with the point of the game, i was just thinking how 'unecessary that was'.

Was it cool? Yes. Would i ever do it? No.

Kane had a fantastic backhand against Nashville on Tuesday. Most guys would have had problems hitting that hole on the forehand.

Kane had a fantastic backhand against Nashville on Tuesday. Most guys would have had problems hitting that hole on the forehand.

That one was gorgeous too. I don't think there's anyone in the league that can utilize the backhand like Kane does.

That one was gorgeous too. I don't think there's anyone in the league that can utilize the backhand like Kane does.

Did those two guys in Detroit die? I know they're getting older, but I don't think they died.

Did those two guys in Detroit die? I know they're getting older, but I don't think they died.

Haha okay okay I forgot about them...but I'd only say Datsyuk is better