Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gomer

And am I going to die?

btw, during my research I came across a bunch of people recommending slash guards. They'll provide protection from slashes as the name suggests buts also from skates slicing your wrist and forearm tendons. I went and bought a pair but have yet to wear them. I'ma give them a shot the next open session i go to...

Good idea with the slash guards. Had a buddy get stepped on at a camp, a nice surgery to repair two torn tendons.

Wow thats pretty scary. Didn't think it was that common of a problem but I guess its better safe than sorry. Any idea where he was cut? I'm asking because my gloves cover the large majority of my forearms so I was planning on wearing the slash guards a little higher up...

I recommend maybe one of the protection packs you can find online or maybe at a LHS. You usually get a price discount but you maybe able to get cheaper package piece by piece.

I also recommend not shooting for nicer stuff that you can find @ a good price.. well not yet.

One thing thats good about using not-so-top-of-the-line stuff. Is you get to figure out what it is you like and don't like about each piece of equipment.

For example: figuring out you like tight fitting gloves on a cheap pair.

You will figure out your personal preference as you go.. then you can splurge :)

oper do your arches hurt in the morning? if so you most likely have plantar fasciitis. i have it and some days i can barely walk. i just use alot of ice on them and they feel fine. the also feel better once i get them streched out.

oper do your arches hurt in the morning? if so you most likely have plantar fasciitis. i have it and some days i can barely walk. i just use alot of ice on them and they feel fine. the also feel better once i get them streched out.

Best thing to do with plantar fasciitis is to stretch them prior to your first step in the morning. Its a result of a tightening of the fascia overnight when you sleep as a result of overuse. The mainstay treatment is to have a towel by your bed and prior to getting up in the morning loop the towel over your toes and to stretch the sole of your foot for a few reps and hold it. Also, if your willing to go the extra mile, you can get a roller or something hard and shaped like a soda can and sit on the side of your bed in the morning and roll your midfoot on the object for a bit to stretch out the fascia. If you do this for a while it should help with the pain and hopefully get rid of it. Icing it just decreases the pain you feel and some inflammation. Hope your feet get better :)

btw, during my research I came across a bunch of people recommending slash guards. They'll provide protection from slashes as the name suggests buts also from skates slicing your wrist and forearm tendons. I went and bought a pair but have yet to wear them. I'ma give them a shot the next open session i go to...

Good idea with the slash guards. Had a buddy get stepped on at a camp, a nice surgery to repair two torn tendons.

Wow thats pretty scary. Didn't think it was that common of a problem but I guess its better safe than sorry. Any idea where he was cut? I'm asking because my gloves cover the large majority of my forearms so I was planning on wearing the slash guards a little higher up...

It was from about one inch below the bottom of his palm to about 4 inches below the bottom of his palm. Put him out for 2 months and had to wear some weird protective brace all season.

It was from about one inch below the bottom of his palm to about 4 inches below the bottom of his palm. Put him out for 2 months and had to wear some weird protective brace all season.

Thanks. That makes sense and thats where the slash guards seem to want to stay anyways. Good info to know and sorry to hear about your friend.

So I have accumulated my gear. And I definitely started out on the lower end of the scale I think.

LHS had an adult starter package that included Bag, full protection (less helmet), skate guards, jock, suspenders for $140

I picked up a Bauer 5500 and cage to protect my gourd also.

After initially getting misfitted for shins and gloves (probably equal parts my fault and the guy fitting me not really seeming to care too much) which I corrected at another franchise of the same LHS, I wound up with:

Infinity Alpha1 shoulders and shins (now in 13" after starting in 15"), jock, suspenders and skate guards;

TPS gloves (12" after initially being outfitted with 14.5" Infinity gloves);

Protex pants (seem bulky, but I think that's gonna be good if I'm on my backside a lot);

CCM elbows;

And a CCM bag. That rounded out the package.

I also picked up a couple of Montreal wooden sticks, decent mouth guard, socks, jersey, tape, misc etc. So I think I'm good to go.

I had the skates baked and they feel a lot better in the forefoot and the cramping is a lot better than it was. The rest of the skate seems too fit a little looser now, but I am experimenting with the lacing. I've ordered some insoles to see what they do for comfort and I think that now that they are fitting a little looser, the insole will use up some of that volume. Gonna get some waxed laces too.

Thanks for all of your advice. It's been very helpful!

Oh yeah, I've got a neck guard too. If I get my carotid sliced because of it, I'll be sure to let everyone know =)

Looks like you're good to go. In your original post you mentioned RBK 5K gear which was overkill for you. My only advice is make sure that those pants have very good hip and tail bone protection as you'll be falling on those areas as a beginner. As a beginner I would get the most protective pants that you can afford. Have fun and let us know how it goes.

Looks like you're good to go. In your original post you mentioned RBK 5K gear which was overkill for you. My only advice is make sure that those pants have very good hip and tail bone protection as you'll be falling on those areas as a beginner. As a beginner I would get the most protective pants that you can afford. Have fun and let us know how it goes.

So here's the 1-year update (for those who helped, and new guys and gals who might stumble across this worried about death)!

I have not died =) Instead, I have flourished (somewhat).

After playing beginner hockey for a year now, I've accomplished the following skating 3-4 hours most weeks:

• First and foremost, I've reinforced my viewpoint that persistence does pay off.
  • Skill wise, I know I have moved up into the top half of the players, and maybe the top 25%. I found a reverse gear, learned to stop (one side very well, the other not so much), and learned to cross-over (again, side biased). Straight ahead, I am one of the quickest/fastest guys out there.
  • I wore my blade guards onto the ice once.
  • 10 goals in 24 games or so including a hat trick (on breakaways).
  • Met a lot of good guys, and a few idiots (including one who punched me in the back of the head).
  • Spent all of 2 minutes in the box for getting my stick into someones skates.

Regarding equipment... it has been sufficient. I left my pants in the locker room once and couldn't find who had picked em up before I had to play again, so I had to pick up a new pair *shrug* That's been the extent of my gear whoring.

I've still got some issues with the skates (not pain so much, but fitting and foot shape), so those are going to be upgraded very shortly. I'll likely have a thread with some questions. Going to search the forums a bit first. (Eyeing the S12s real hard, trying to convince myself I need skates that nice).

And I've taken real good care of my stuff. It's out of the bag first within an hour of playing and in front of an oscillating fan. That's kept funk to a minimum.

Health wise, things are great. The worst has been a pretty painful hip pointer, so newbs really need to heed the advice about padding. The new pants I bought were less bulky than the pair I had misplaced. Four months ago, I was still at the stage where you can fall for no good reason... and I did. Tried to catch myself and wound up twisting on the way down and got my hip right on the button. Sore as hell, but not serious. Other than that, I've caught a stick in the throat as well as stopped two slapshots launched by goofballs on my own team. It didn't matter that I was trying to get back onsides or that it would have been icing had it not hit me... it was right in their wheelhouse and by golly, they were going to tee it up. One got me just above the skate and on the edge of the shin pad, the other in the inside of my elbow. Nothing so far that wasn't survivable.

I've also learned that health wise, flexibility in your hips is important for skating. My external rotators were all tight as hell which impeded my ability to turn my feet inwards. Regular stretching after games has helped a lot with that.

So here's the 1-year update (for those who helped, and new guys and gals who might stumble across this worried about death)!

After playing beginner hockey for a year now, I've accomplished the following skating 3-4 hours most weeks:

• First and foremost, I've reinforced my viewpoint that persistence does pay off.
  • Skill wise, I know I have moved up into the top half of the players, and maybe the top 25%. I found a reverse gear, learned to stop (one side very well, the other not so much), and learned to cross-over (again, side biased). Straight ahead, I am one of the quickest/fastest guys out there.
  • Met a lot of good guys, and a few idiots (including one who punched me in the back of the head).

Regarding equipment... it has been sufficient. I left my pants in the locker room once and couldn't find who had picked em up before I had to play again, so I had to pick up a new pair *shrug* That's been the extent of my gear whoring.

I've still got some issues with the skates (not pain so much, but fitting and foot shape), so those are going to be upgraded very shortly. I'll likely have a thread with some questions. Going to search the forums a bit first. (Eyeing the S12s real hard, trying to convince myself I need skates that nice).

And I've taken real good care of my stuff. It's out of the bag first within an hour of playing and in front of an oscillating fan. That's kept funk to a minimum.

Health wise, things are great. The worst has been a pretty painful hip pointer, so newbs really need to heed the advice about padding. The new pants I bought were less bulky than the pair I had misplaced. Four months ago, I was still at the stage where you can fall for no good reason... and I did. Tried to catch myself and wound up twisting on the way down and got my hip right on the button. Sore as hell, but not serious. Other than that, I've caught a stick in the throat as well as stopped two slapshots launched by goofballs on my own team. It didn't matter that I was trying to get back onsides or that it would have been icing had it not hit me... it was right in their wheelhouse and by golly, they were going to tee it up. One got me just above the skate and on the edge of the shin pad, the other in the inside of my elbow. Nothing so far that wasn't survivable.

I've also learned that health wise, flexibility in your hips is important for skating. My external rotators were all tight as hell which impeded my ability to turn my feet inwards. Regular stretching after games has helped a lot with that.

It was cool that you updated this man.

I just started playing about 6 weeks ago and I'm having a blast. I make it on the ice 2-3 times a week and wish I could do it more. My league doesn't start playing games until June but I think I'll be more than ready for novice league by then. I've picked up most stuff pretty quick. I can do crossovers, either direction very well, and stop really good to my left. I've been practicing to the right and still need a lot of work there. I've got a pretty wicked wrishot but my slapper is next to non existent at this point. My stickhandling skills are pretty good as well.

Anyways, my hip flexor( I think that's what it is) hurts like a bitch on my right leg when I skate if I'm not careful. I'm not very flexible at all, I can't even touch my toes, so I definately need work on that. I also make sure to put my gear out on my deck first thing when I get home.

It's good to hear from other noobs and their progress.

It's good to see that you haven't been killed on the ice, yet.

So, do you watch games differently now, and do you see things differently?

The most important thing is to look good. Go to PHEW and take note of all the "dirty steez" needed to be a hockey player. Of course you need to get top of the line everything and god help you if your stick doesn't match your mouthguard. Once you have the style down, then you can learn to skate or whatever...[end sarcasm].

Just kidding man. Like everyone else said, get mid-end gear, wooden sticks, a new helmet, and have fun. Don't worry about getting hurt. If you've got all your gear on and it all fits properly, you've done all that you can. It's up to fate after that. Props to you for starting as an adult too. You really have to put the pride aside and be willing to look like a fool for a while. In the end though it is sooo worth it. Good luck!

That's awesome. Like you, I started playing at 31. 11 years later I'm still at it, still getting better & still loving it.

[*]I wore my blade guards onto the ice once.

I'm not gonna lie. I've been around the game for years and it's happened to me a few times. It's always exciting to step on a fresh sheet of ice before a game/session but not so much exciting when you fall flat infront of everyone.

Nice update. Glad everything is working out for you :)

It's good to see that you haven't been killed on the ice, yet.

So, do you watch games differently now, and do you see things differently?

Yeah I see things differently! Like oh my god, I wish I could do that... how do they do that... I'll never be able to do that... damn they're fast etc!!!

I've had the good fortune of being able to watch a lot of college hockey in person for the last several years (season tickets, good seats). I think that watching a lot of quality live hockey helped a lot with seeing the game when I started playing. It's different than watching on TV.

As far as watching the game goes, I do watch a lot differently. I skate in a forward position, usually center. Right now I am focusing on how best to involve the defense in the play when we're attacking. I pay more attention to what is going on in faceoffs. Those sorts of things.

It was cool that you updated this man.

I just started playing about 6 weeks ago and I'm having a blast. I make it on the ice 2-3 times a week and wish I could do it more. My league doesn't start playing games until June but I think I'll be more than ready for novice league by then. I've picked up most stuff pretty quick. I can do crossovers, either direction very well, and stop really good to my left. I've been practicing to the right and still need a lot of work there. I've got a pretty wicked wrishot but my slapper is next to non existent at this point. My stickhandling skills are pretty good as well.

Anyways, my hip flexor( I think that's what it is) hurts like a bitch on my right leg when I skate if I'm not careful. I'm not very flexible at all, I can't even touch my toes, so I definately need work on that. I also make sure to put my gear out on my deck first thing when I get home.

It's good to hear from other noobs and their progress.

Thanks for the update Gomer and Big Jim!

I just got into hockey a few weeks ago, just had my first hockey clinic for our rookie league. Scored two goals today and hit the post on a breakaway chance

But all in all it is good fun, I have no problem doing cross overs backwards and forwards, the only problem I have right now is making two steps forward and shooting the wrister, it sucks! but I'll get better at it haha.

Good job man! And don't worry about wearing the skate guards on the ice, I play 9 times a week, and I did that about three months ago, I don't know where my head was at!

Just keep in mind that you may not be improving by leaps and bounds for very much longer. That happened to me after about a year and a half because I started late too. All of a sudden I wasn't getting better with every skate anymore. It was about a 4 month funk before I got over it, and it was pretty frustrating. What it really meant was I had the fundamentals down (well, pretty close) and now it was improving as a hockey player, rather than becoming a hockey player. Keep alert for that, and try not to get too frustrated when it comes.

Gomer, nice to see that you are enjoying playing hockey. It's a beautiful game. When I miss a few weeks of playing and then get back on skates, I always think "Damn, I missed this. It's so much fun".

2+ year update.

I'm dead. That's how long it took me to kill myself.

New highlights include:

• Leading a miserable league team in scoring.
  • Scoring two shorthanded goals on a single shift/kill.
  • Wearing out some and upgrading some equipment (shins, gloves, elbows).
  • Learning that speed kills (and kills yourself).
  • Hockey is awesome, and not being able to play SUCKS!

I'm sitting here in a semi-constant state of pain and thought I'd update this thread. A month ago I drove my bent knee hard into the boards on a breakaway. Hard enough to crack the cap on my shin pads. Just F'd up basically. Earned a limp. Five nights later I did a similar thing but with some help. Both times I was able to skate fine after a few minutes (2nd time I had 2 goals afterward). The day after the second time I had some significant pain, loss of motion (bending), etc. Walking was fine. Running was fine. Skating was fine. Just hurt to bend it (in the back of my knee, the cap was fine). Went to the doc (general) and she put me on naproxen and said to see what happens. I took a couple of weeks off, scheduled an appt with an osteopath, and skated. No problems skating really... the knee just felt a little weak, and hurt when it was flexed when not skating. Saw the osteopath, scheduled an MRI and got the green light to skate as long as I didn't feel pain.

Well last week (before the MRI), I was skating with no pain/problems. Had a minor collision and fell on the knee and knew I was done. Something is not right. It will be a week or so before I get the results of the MRI... but judging from how it felt when I fell on it, I'm not skating for a while.

I'm seriously bummed. Sitting around is not in my nature... and aside from the speed and strength in my legs, I'm not the most talented athlete. So this is a double whammy. I think that soon I'll be soliciting the opinions of those who've had knee injuries and/or surgery.

2+ year update.

I'm dead. That's how long it took me to kill myself.

New highlights include:

• Leading a miserable league team in scoring.
  • Scoring two shorthanded goals on a single shift/kill.
  • Wearing out some and upgrading some equipment (shins, gloves, elbows).
  • Learning that speed kills (and kills yourself).
  • Hockey is awesome, and not being able to play SUCKS!

I'm sitting here in a semi-constant state of pain and thought I'd update this thread. A month ago I drove my bent knee hard into the boards on a breakaway. Hard enough to crack the cap on my shin pads. Just F'd up basically. Earned a limp. Five nights later I did a similar thing but with some help. Both times I was able to skate fine after a few minutes (2nd time I had 2 goals afterward). The day after the second time I had some significant pain, loss of motion (bending), etc. Walking was fine. Running was fine. Skating was fine. Just hurt to bend it (in the back of my knee, the cap was fine). Went to the doc (general) and she put me on naproxen and said to see what happens. I took a couple of weeks off, scheduled an appt with an osteopath, and skated. No problems skating really... the knee just felt a little weak, and hurt when it was flexed when not skating. Saw the osteopath, scheduled an MRI and got the green light to skate as long as I didn't feel pain.

Well last week (before the MRI), I was skating with no pain/problems. Had a minor collision and fell on the knee and knew I was done. Something is not right. It will be a week or so before I get the results of the MRI... but judging from how it felt when I fell on it, I'm not skating for a while.

I'm seriously bummed. Sitting around is not in my nature... and aside from the speed and strength in my legs, I'm not the most talented athlete. So this is a double whammy. I think that soon I'll be soliciting the opinions of those who've had knee injuries and/or surgery.

I wish you a speedy recovery.

I missed almost a year do to illness. I still remember that first night back.

Best of luck Gomer, keep your head up.

I'm scheduled to miss 6-10 weeks following surgery two weeks back. And I'll say this from experience. Just remember the ice. Sounds weird if you don't get what I mean.

Unfortunately injuries are a part of sports. Hopefully you will be able to rehab enough to play and enjoy hockey again.