Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gomer

And am I going to die?

[edit]2+ year UPDATE: I'm dead =( [/edit]

First off, let me start by saying this looks like a truly awesome community. I've found that places like this can be an invaluable source of information. I've spent a little bit of time digging around and I've already learned a lot. And I saw a picture of a zamboni on fire. Sad as that is/was, it's still pretty cool.

I imagine I'll find a lot of answers and as many questions if I dig around a bit more, but I wanted to throw this out there and get any thoughts, input, output, etc.

My fiance wants to sign me up for a non-checking beginners league for my 31st birthday. She's been checking in to all of this, says I'll be fine. I don't have life insurance or anything, so I don't think she's trying to get rid of me.

I've been playing floor hockey (yeah, the closest thing to it being hockey is the sticks) for a lot of years and have had a lot of fun with that. There's a regular game, we play on half a tennis court with some small mid shin high goals, about a foot and a half wide. No goalie to speak of, but we rotate a guy back to defend. It's always a good time and I have a lot of fun. In the winter, or when we're short guys, we play 2 on 2 in a racquetball court with 5 gallon buckets for goals.

Alright, alright... a certain amount of snickering was acceptable. But I've been wanting to try the real deal for awhile. Took a very basic skating class and had no problem learning to skate forward, turn, etc. Now hockey stops? Nope. Little leery of trying any of that out with pads and a helmet.

Did buy a pair of skates though at the LHS. They're Mission Fuel 75's. I haven't had them baked yet, didn't have time when I bought them and haven't been back. As far as fit goes, they are mostly comfortable, but I get sort of a cramp in my arch after about 10-15 minutes. If I keep skating, it goes away. I'm gonna have them baked if I go with through with this. I imagine that will help. Otherwise, they're snug and if anything a little tight in the forefoot, but that hasn't caused any problems just skating around.

As far as other equipment goes... I'm gonna take a trip to another LHS across the state with my future brother inlaw. We're all on a budget these days, but I understand both sides of that coin. I will likely buy gloves, wood sticks, and a helmet from the LHS... but I have been looking at the RBK 5K pad combo (shoulder, shin, elbow) at HM for $108. Can I expect an LHS to come in comparable to that? Even in the ballpark? Don't have a clue about breezers. I want to split the difference between LHS knowledge and warehouse pricing.

And on that note, I'm 5'8, 145. In any athletic endeavor, what I've lacked in skill and strength, I try to make up with quickness and effort. I want protection that will not hinder that too much, but will also protect me when my ambition is exceeded by my lack of talent. Are the 5K pads going to help or hinder that? What about breezers? Helmets too? I have to watch concussions. Or am I doing the wrong thing and I should just let the LHS and bro-inlaw figure this out? .

Like I said, I took a class and can skate a mean public skate but I'm sure that's nowhere near enough to function well at hockey, but I know you have to start somewhere. And I know from skating around out there... that I feel I'd learn a lot faster chasing a puck with a stick and not worrying about breaking everything when I fall down because I have pads on. Where do I fit in and how do I get my foot in the door. I have no problem looking like a fool so long as my foolishness isn't killing anyone elses good time.

I've been studying intensely for a certification exam the past few weeks and haven't had much time to figure any of this out on my own. I sit for it this afternoon and passed! Now that I know I don't have to pony up $400 to retake it, I can work some gear into my budget. And budget some time into figuring all of this out.

So all that said... any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks!

The best way to cut down on costs is to buy used. A play it again sports type place can really save you dough. I'll let the others hit some of the major points.

dont skimp on a helmet. I'd reccommend a cage.

I'll agree on both points. As for the other gear, I wouldn't go with anything more expensive than mid line gear. Chances are you will end up replacing it all at some point down the road.

You may quickly change your mind on what kind of equipment you like as a new player - so I strongly reccomend no more than middle of the line, if not cheap just to see what kind of fit you like when you've played with it for so long. Full cage is a must - not because you're a new player, but because other people are stupid. Just have fun with it, the fear will be gone and you'll be loving it before you even know it.

Well like someone already suggested if you have a play it against sports near you its well worth it my friend just bought a full set of gear for 200$ except skates and stick and it is damn fine for him since he his starting.

CCM V4 helmet with cage 50$

Easton stealth 1 Pants Shoulders Shin's 120$

Used Mission W1 gloves 30$

they might have different package too so check it out and have fun :)

dont skimp on a helmet. I'd reccommend a cage.

I'll agree on both points. As for the other gear, I wouldn't go with anything more expensive than mid line gear. Chances are you will end up replacing it all at some point down the road.

Especially if you stay on this site long enough :lol:

I'd recommend being fitted and buying at an LHS. Nothing like a bit of support.

As for getting started, I'd just go out there and have fun with it. Yes learn to skate, yes learn to play but don't overthink the game. It's just a game after all. You'll pick it up the longer you play so go out there, have fun and dive into enjoying playing hockey.

For any skate, if you're getting cramps in the arch..it means you're not getting the proper arch support. Getting some decent Superfeet or Graf insoles could help that..

I would probably suggest a local hockey store as well. As a beginner, it doesn't really make sense for you to be buying high end gear obviously, so middle of the road stuff will do you just fine. You could probably get a slightly better deal online somewhere, but for someone new to the game, a proper fit would be more important in my eyes.

As far as protecting yourself, as people have mentioned, get a good, new, helmet and cage. A good mouth guard would probably also be a good idea, not for your teeth so much as to cushion against concussions. Might be a bit much in a beginner league so if you really hate wearing one I don't think it would be the end of the world to go without, but you seem to be erring on the side of caution, so I'd suggest at least trying one out, they aren't very expensive.

Really, as long as you have all the equipment on, you aren't in much danger from hurting yourself badly from just falling. The one thing you will want to watch though is hitting your head on the ice, because you might be falling a bit at first, so that's why I'd suggest the mouth guard and good helmet combo.

Other than that, just have a great time, you obviously are taking a serious interest in the game, and I bet your hands/shot will be better than you think just based on your floor hockey experience. The skating will come, all you can do is practice.

Don't forget that guys like me have been playing for a decade and I still learn something new each and every time I step on the ice for a game or pick-up. Don't forget to keep your eyes open for learning opportunities.

And no, you won't die; might realize you've juusstttt started living though. Enjoy!

personally i'm too neurotic to use used smelly hockey gear, but inspect it to make sure it looks decent, or like chadd said, go midline.

helmet, buy new, obviously.

any store worth a damn should be able to help... tell them your new to the game and they'll set you up. if they try to put you in the top end everything for the sake of "mobility" i'd use a skeptical eye. maybe come back here after, if that happens, and post for the opinion of the masses.

two things to consider.... protection, what level do you need? well, it's non check, for one... but odds are there will be contact, as some guys wont be able to stop. what about protection from the puck? well, odds are there are going to be very few who can shoot to anything that will do any damage. you might end up with a bruise if a weak shot hits flesh. i've taken a not so weak shot straight to the inner thigh from 3 feet away, it isnt fun, but i survived.

at 5'8" you're probably tall enough that the top of the shoulder isnt an issue. I'm a short little fucker, so shoulder protection is always paramount for me, as i take elbows and sticks to the top of the shoulder with regularity.

you'll be fine, just consider what damage you think you could actually do to someone else as a beginner, and thats a good estimate of what could happen to you. no 100mph slappers ;)

at 5'8" you're probably tall enough that the top of the shoulder isnt an issue. I'm a short little fucker, so shoulder protection is always paramount for me, as i take elbows and sticks knees to the top of the shoulder with regularity.

fixed that for you ;)

Seriously though, that's all good advice.

Most skates these days don't really need to be baked. They're made more out of composite material than leather and baking doesn't do anything for them. A lot of folks out there seem to think baking weakens the towers, which seems logical. Wouldn't recommend buying gear online, you need to get a feel for what you like. Might be a little more expensive to start, but rewarding in the long run. Used gear can be a money saver, but again, you don't really get to try different products. You just have to make due with what's in stock on any given day. I also find the concept of used gear a little gross, but maybe that's just me and my gear snobbery.

I strongly recommend wearing a full cage, or one of the plastic full face shields. I've taught a few learn to play classes, people just starting out don't have the best control over their shots and have a tendency to skate around with their sticks in the air. Apart from that I think given the degree of padding you'll be wearing non-check hockey is pretty safe.

what about protection from the puck? well, odds are there are going to be very few who can shoot to anything that will do any damage. you might end up with a bruise if a weak shot hits flesh. i've taken a not so weak shot straight to the inner thigh from 3 feet away, it isnt fun, but i survived.

Generally, you're spot on there. However, you have watch out for what I call the Happy Glimore factor. I've noticed a lot of guys in learn to play classes started watching the NHL years before they took it up, but what they did do is get themselves a stick and work on nothing but shooting years before putting skates on. End of the day you get a guy with pretty weak skating and stick handling, but if they manage to get a clean shot off they can zing that fucker.

Most skates these days don't really need to be baked. They're made more out of composite material than leather and baking doesn't do anything for them. A lot of folks out there seem to think baking weakens the towers, which seems logical. Wouldn't recommend buying gear online, you need to get a feel for what you like. Might be a little more expensive to start, but rewarding in the long run. Used gear can be a money saver, but again, you don't really get to try different products. You just have to make due with what's in stock on any given day. I also find the concept of used gear a little gross, but maybe that's just me and my gear snobbery.

The more composite material a skate has, the more it needs to be baked. Padding will form naturally with skating, composites will only form with baking.

I have never heard anyone ever say that baking will weaken skate holders. It's not true either, assuming you don't bake them for hours on end at a higher temp than suggested.

For any skate, if you're getting cramps in the arch..it means you're not getting the proper arch support. Getting some decent Superfeet or Graf insoles could help that..

or it can mean that you have them laced to tight.

For complete protection....have you ever seen the movie Bubble Boy...The most important thing is gear that fits, new or used, if it doesn't fit it won't protect you. You won't need top of the line unless you want to spend the money but DON'T scrimp on a helmet and cage. Relax when you are out on the ice, watch what the vets are doing and don't be afraid to ask them questions.

I'd recommend not skinping too much on the pants as you will be falling a lot (and that will be an understatement) so your hips and tailbone will take a beating. And when starting out, if you're not falling, you're not trying...

Are you certain you are going to stick with it?

If not I would say buy a new helmet/cage combo and then hit a play-it-again for the rest of your gear.

You can easily tell what gear is too used and what isn't easily. If it's yellowed or the padding is hard, keep on looking. As much as you should support a LHS, if you're in more of the trial period, get some used gear to make sure you will stick with it. If the hockey bug bites, you'll be up-grading in no time.

I started in my mid-20s with gear from a family friend, I got a new helmet and I had crap skates (impact 75). When I knew I was going to stick with it that's when I started down the gear whore path.

Also, find a learn to play hockey class to go along with or before the beginner league. They will have skating drills, stick drills and usually some pick-up style games. It will help you a lot and learning to stop with some pads on is a bit easier.

Have fun.

On second thought, +1 on some decent pants, you'll be on your ass a lot!

To the OP: we all gotta die sometime, so it might as well be on the ice. Or maybe on the bench.

Anyways, I think you got a good pair of skates , if they fit properly. Did they come with the Pitch holders, and if so, which setting are you using?

A lot of people who start ice skating later in life seem to get those mid-arch foot cramps; I think that your foot muscles will get stronger and you won't cramp up as much or at all as you progress. It could also be related to how you tie your skates; I tighten the heel a lot, but only snug towards the toes.

In addition to the good advice from the other guys above, maybe research neck guards if you think you might fall. However, some think that kevlar neck guards might deflect the skate blade into your carotid arteries. The choice is yours.

Regarding gear: Not so sure I like the idea of used, it's the "funk" issue.... and the nearest Playitagain is about 50 miles down the road.

Otherwise, helmet and cage check and double check. Mouth guard, probably check. About 4 years ago I had a run in with a softball that resulted in 10 stitches to put my eyebrow back together and a fractured sinus/concussion (on top of others). I don't want to put my hand up to my face again and wonder what is left of it. So I'll definitely be going with a cage. Maybe a half-cage, visor deal. Is a top of the line helmet overkill? I'm guessing proper fit is the most important factor.

Shoulder pads, check.

Good pants to save my tailbone, check.

I don't have much of the have much of an idea what middle of the road stuff is, but I trust my brother inlaw and LHS will steer me the right way. And I'm really not so much worried about bumps and bruises, just trips to the ER.

Am I certain I'll stick with it? Probably, if I can half-function out there and have some fun with it. I've got no kids, The fiance is footing the bill for the league, and I've got two different place to play within 2 miles of my house. There's really no excuse to not to stick with it unless it breaks me. I like a good workout and fun competition and I really don't have great expectations for what I am going to be capable of.

Regarding the skates:

I read the thread about the superfeet. I might go that route for sure.

As far as lacing them up goes, I was cranking them down tight in the toe, snug over the heel, and tight up the top of the boot. When I loosened them up in the toe (really loosened them up), and cranked them down over the heel and up the ankle, they felt a lot better (walking around the house). I previously thought that if they weren't so tight they were uncomfortable, they were too loose. Maybe I was going too far with that.

I think I'll head to the LHS and have them baked.

To the OP: we all gotta die sometime, so it might as well be on the ice. Or maybe on the bench.

Anyways, I think you got a good pair of skates , if they fit properly. Did they come with the Pitch holders, and if so, which setting are you using?

A lot of people who start ice skating later in life seem to get those mid-arch foot cramps; I think that your foot muscles will get stronger and you won't cramp up as much or at all as you progress. It could also be related to how you tie your skates; I tighten the heel a lot, but only snug towards the toes.

In addition to the good advice from the other guys above, maybe research neck guards if you think you might fall. However, some think that kevlar neck guards might deflect the skate blade into your carotid arteries. The choice is yours.

My toes are just hanging over the edges of the insole with a little bit peeking out from under my foot at the top. The heel is snug and not moving anywhere, comfortable. Aside from the forefoot being tight because of how tight I was lacing them, and the arch-cramp, they feel good. But I don't think I have opened them up yet either and really pushed them hard.

They do come with the pitch holders, I left them set at neutral.

Now regarding the neck protector... I had been thinking that that sort of thing was inherently a good idea. I know I might fall! deflect the skate blade into my carotid arteries??? :blink: Yeah, I'm gonna have to look into that.

Thanks for all of the advice. This is like entering a different world to me and you have done a lot to reassure me that everybody, at one time or anther, starts at the bottom and most everyone is pretty cool with that. Thanks!

your near my age. Get a good pair of pants with tailbone protection. Reebok has a good setup. nothing worse then busting your ass at our age.

As to skates as pointed out could be to tight, could be not enough arch or too much arch. I have no arch so I get cramping from a lot of skates out side of certain grafs and old tacks and some reeboks. So you need to figure out if its from having no arch or not having enough arch in the boot. Older people arches tend to collapse.

you will be fine.

I'd like to throw in a recommendation to go to some Stick Times if they are offered at your local rink. Its basically a public skate but you bring a puck and your hockey equipment and get to shoot around and practice. After a couple of those when you start feeling comfortable, I would hit up some open hockeys. These should get you pretty ready for your upcoming season. Obviously this is all after you get your equipment.

Now regarding the neck protector... I had been thinking that that sort of thing was inherently a good idea. I know I might fall! deflect the skate blade into my carotid arteries??? :rolleyes: Yeah, I'm gonna have to look into that.

And about the neck guard thing. I've done a bunch of reading on it and am still in the air in regards to how beneficial they are to wear. I've heard that they may deflect the skate to a more vulnerable are of your neck but others argue that they still do a good job protecting from most neck injuries. Any expert advice on this or opinions would be nice. Let us know if you do some research and what you come across.

btw, during my research I came across a bunch of people recommending slash guards. They'll provide protection from slashes as the name suggests buts also from skates slicing your wrist and forearm tendons. I went and bought a pair but have yet to wear them. I'ma give them a shot the next open session i go to...

btw, during my research I came across a bunch of people recommending slash guards. They'll provide protection from slashes as the name suggests buts also from skates slicing your wrist and forearm tendons. I went and bought a pair but have yet to wear them. I'ma give them a shot the next open session i go to...

Good idea with the slash guards. Had a buddy get stepped on at a camp, a nice surgery to repair two torn tendons.