Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GoWings85

Tacki-Mac grips

I've run into problems with the tackimacs slipping off with concave shafts, it didn't seem to stick as well so i put a piece of tape under the tackimac on both sides of the stick and it has held in place since.

And sure enough, my Response Lites have concave shafts. That makes sense (as to why the grip slips off when using hairspray, but not with the double-sided tape).

Next time I will try to put tape along the concave faces, and then try the hairspray (which wasn't my wife's, but was my son's).

I couldn't get them to stay on One95's FWIW.

Really? No problem at all on my One80s. You using the tape + the adhesive they give you?

This may sound stupid, but I always wrap a bit of cloth tape around the bottom on the Tacki-Mac (the end facing the blade) just to ensure that it won't slip. I use hairspray and have had no movement at all on concave shafts including both an R8 Lite and One95.

The One95 had double concave walls like JR said, so there were likely some gaps between the grip and shaft. Rounded corners would mean the hairspray acts as a lubricant to get the grip onto the shaft and then would dry and get sticky/tacky to keep the grip in place. It just means for a Supreme style or other stick with double concave walls you'd want to use the included tape which would do a better job holding it in place but makes removal kind of a pain.

The One95 had double concave walls like JR said, so there were likely some gaps between the grip and shaft. Rounded corners would mean the hairspray acts as a lubricant to get the grip onto the shaft and then would dry and get sticky/tacky to keep the grip in place. It just means for a Supreme style or other stick with double concave walls you'd want to use the included tape which would do a better job holding it in place but makes removal kind of a pain.

Indeed, the hairspray method works because theres so much sticky surface area so it wont slide off, but on a concave shaft you'd need to actually have the grip adhere to the shaft, so you really need the included tape and adhesive.

Though removal isn't too difficult, I just use regular old scissors to cut it off, and then peel off the tape.

Indeed, the hairspray method works because theres so much sticky surface area so it wont slide off, but on a concave shaft you'd need to actually have the grip adhere to the shaft, so you really need the included tape and adhesive.

Though removal isn't too difficult, I just use regular old scissors to cut it off, and then peel off the tape.

For me, I'm trying to re-use the grip when the stick breaks, so I'm trying to get hairspray + no double-sided tape + no scissors to work with Response Lites (concave shaft walls + raised corners).

Ive never had a problem with the hairspray method so far. Although I try to wait a full 24 hrs before using.

What hairspray, and what kinds of sticks?

For me, I'm trying to re-use the grip when the stick breaks, so I'm trying to get hairspray + no double-sided tape + no scissors to work with Response Lites (concave shaft walls + raised corners).

going with any max hold hairspray would work out best one would think. That's why I bought some over say something with less hold

I use Alberto control- extra hold.

Been good with one95, totalone, se16, stealth cnt, and others.

another thing you could do is not to use all of the original double sided tape. I usually use two strips at the top and bottom of my tacki mac grip and spray hairspray on the shaft in between. So far so good, I have been reusing and reapplying the grips a lot of times (mostly on one95 shafts) and they have held in place nicely. Can use one supplied tape for ~3 shafts/sticks.

FYI--I've been able to roll Tacki-Macs off fully in tact even with the double-sided tape. Takes a little more effort, but you should never have to cut a grip off, in my experience.

FYI--I've been able to roll Tacki-Macs off fully in tact even with the double-sided tape. Takes a little more effort, but you should never have to cut a grip off, in my experience.

It's not so much that I have to cut it off, it's more that for a $5 grip I couldn't be bothered trying to remove it intact.

Yes, I can vouch for being able to do that, and that it takes more effort.

another thing you could do is not to use all of the original double sided tape. I usually use two strips at the top and bottom of my tacki mac grip and spray hairspray on the shaft in between. So far so good, I have been reusing and reapplying the grips a lot of times (mostly on one95 shafts) and they have held in place nicely. Can use one supplied tape for ~3 shafts/sticks.

I wish I read this earlier; I just put on the whole piece of double sided tape on the new stick (Response Lite with grip).

I took the old grip and hairsprayed it onto a Synergy ST grip (bright green) stick that I had converted into a shaft. It's stuck on there quite well (TRESemme Freeze & Control Ultra Hold).

Next time! (hopefully late 2011)

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I was wondering if anyone has experience shaving down the butt ends on tacki mac grips? Specifically I mean making the butt end thinner/narrower so it doesn't feel so thick on the stick. Anyone tried this? If so, what did you use to shave it down? Thanks

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I was wondering if anyone has experience shaving down the butt ends on tacki mac grips? Specifically I mean making the butt end thinner/narrower so it doesn't feel so thick on the stick. Anyone tried this? If so, what did you use to shave it down? Thanks

I have, i tend to use 1/2" tape for my butt ends, so on the original tacki macs the butt end was way too tall. I used scissors to cut off a half inch, then i felt like it was still too thick, so I used my cross grinding wheel at work to shave it down. You need a steady hand to ensure you dont go too deep, but it worked perfectly. Additionally, it did take off the normal sand grip on the exterior of the tackimac, but it was still grippy and did not wear my palms at all. If you dont have access to a grinding wheel Im not quite sure what would work.

Yeah, unfortunately, I don't have access to a cross grind wheel. I was thinking about some kind of file, but I'm not sure that would work either. Anyone else?

It stretches so you could cut the knob off, then tape on the shaft and slide the tackimac over that tape. Either way, seems like too much work to me.

It stretches so you could cut the knob off, then tape on the shaft and slide the tackimac over that tape. Either way, seems like too much work to me.

Since the Kane grips dont have a knob, this is what I was doing until I stopped using them altogether.

Since the Kane grips dont have a knob, this is what I was doing until I stopped using them altogether.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but why did you stop using them @OptimusReim? Thanks.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but why did you stop using them @OptimusReim? Thanks.

I couldn't find one I liked. The Kane was close, but no knob.

I switched to making my own grip/knob with black tape and then going over it with stretch wrap. Like this:http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=RSRT

RSRT-BK-1.jpg

I found the grip to actually be better with this stuff.