Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lampliter87

'09 NFL Thread

Does anyone else think the sudden death rule needs some work? Looking at the Patriots/Dummies game, it was basically decided by the coin toss. Which, if you think about it, that's what a lot of overtime games in the NFL come down to. So I would either propose that sudden death only occurs if the team to first possess the ball scores a touchdown. If they only come up with a field goal the other team should get one drive to score a touchdown. That would prevent kicking field goals to keep the score tied and overexpose the players, and avoid ties.

I think the # was 63% of the time they won the coin flip, they won they game, in OT. That was 2008.

I dont think they should change it. I think college OT is too easy as it is. College it seems the ot is played until someone 'doesnt score', as they start on the 30. I am a fan of sudden death. Is it perfect? No. But these are professional teams. Professional Defenses. Make a stop and get the ball back. Thats what they get paid to do. Can't do it? Dont deserve to win...

I dont think it would be fair to say: Your defense didnt stop them, but we'll give your offense a chance anyway...

Put some amount of time on the clock and let them play to the end of the period. 10 minutes seems like a fair amount of time and should allow both teams to get at least one possession each.

I'm sure Brady and Belichick don't want to sound like spolied sports. But the article does nothing but make a series of silly arguments. Sure, you can "woud'a, should'a. could's" the Patriots' offensive efforts, but the reality is after 60 minutes of football the Dummies had done no better, hence a tied score in the first place. By the author's logic it should have been left a tie to punish Denver's very sugglish first hald preformance.

The over time rule is fair in the sense that either team could win the coin toss, and then kick a cheap field goal to end the game. However, it's not a very competive means to end a tied game. Especially when your run of the mill place kicker in the NFL can hit 40+ yard field goals regularly.

I understand all that. And it makes sense. But there is something special about "Sudden Death". What about the Cincy Cleveland game? That was painfully bad to watch, just so he could kick a FG at the very end. I dont see how a FG is cheap either. I like the fact at any point an exciting play can end it. you will definitely see a lot more 'cheap field goals' playing the whole way through. Again this is all just my personal opinion. I just like that for once, if you can't stop em, game over. Defense is on the spot. But thats just my opinion.

The owners, however, have no plans on changing it anytime soon.

Tangent: I hate the patriots so i was very pleased with the OT rules! :D

As a Raiders' fan my hatred towards the Patriots, Tom Brady, and the tuck rule game cannot be measured. So seeing them lose, even if it is to the dummies, is not unwelcome. Field goals aren't cheap per se, but during the game they represent an attempt to get points out of a stalled drive. If say the kick off was a touchback for a TD a team would have to drive 80 yards, whereas comfortable field goal range is around 45 yards away. But end of the day, it's just uncompetive to allow only one side to handle the ball.

Although I would rather see the NFL go to college overtime rules, I totally understand how it heightens the importance on both the toss then either scoring or shutting down the drive.

But end of the day, it's just uncompetive to allow only one side to handle the ball.

Both sides are ALLOWED to handle the ball, it's just up to the defense on the field to make it happen.

And yet the other side's defense has to do nothing but stand on the sideline and watch. If it were a competitive means of ending a game both teams would have to "make it happen" on both sides of the ball. The suddent death OT in football only exists to make the game formats more TV schedule friendly. It has never had anything to do with a competitive resolution to a tied game.

But end of the day, it's just uncompetive to allow only one side to handle the ball.

Both sides are ALLOWED to handle the ball, it's just up to the defense on the field to make it happen.

And yet the other side's defense has to do nothing but stand on the sideline and watch. If it were a competitive means of ending a game both teams would have to "make it happen" on both sides of the ball. The suddent death OT in football only exists to make the game formats more TV schedule friendly. It has never had anything to do with a competitive resolution to a tied game.

I think the NFL should go to the college style overtime, but both the NFL and NCAA should start each overtime at the 40 instead of the 25.

The funny statistical anomaly caused by today’s game is it puts Brady on pace for his second best season ever in QB rating, yardage, interceptions, touchdowns, sacks, completion percentage, etc.

I only bring it up because if someone just checked the stats after today’s game, they’d think, “Wow, Brady hasn’t missed a beat all season!”

Regarding the OT rules, I think they should either give both offenses a possession or do away with OT. On the surface, forgoing OT's sounds boring, but I suspect it would lead to more aggressive play calling toward the end of the season as teams need to pick up wins for playoff seeding. Assuming wins becomes the ultimate determinant for tiebreakers, teams will be compelled to go for touchdowns in the last couple of minutes, versus playing for a field goal and hoping to the win the toss in OT.

It finally paid off taking Moss and Brady. They put up 80+ points for me and the rest of the team barely cracked 50.

I was watching the game, thinking "Wow, the Pats aren't playing that well, yet their leading by three touchdowns." They weren't playing with a lot of intensity and were making too many unforced errors. It finally struck me that the jet lag was probably kicking in, which made me think an NFL team in Europe would be a big mistake.

Can you imagine if they didn't change the scheduling format and the rotation called for the west coast teams to have to visit London (or vice versa)? That's about 10-12 hours of flying and nine time zones apart, twice in four days!

Maybe because the Pats were so dominant for that stretch, it took me a long time to realize Bill Belichick plays the prevent defense. Going back to the 2006 AFC Championship, the 2007 SB, and the Broncos and Colts this year, when he needs a defensive stop, he obviously instructs his DB’s to play off the line to avoid the big play. Instead, it’s a relatively quick, slow bleed of 12-yard pickups, before culminating in an 8-yard touchdown.

I’m not saying they should have blitzed Manning, because he’s excellent against the blitz, but it seems pretty simple that they should continue to do what worked for 55 minutes. If they get burned by a HOF QB, kudos to him, but make him earn it.

I’ll give Rex Ryan credit; in that last series against the Jets, he rushed 5, 7 and 6 men. He said he wasn’t going to change what worked and I believe that’s actually the more conservative way to play.

The Bills have FINALLY fired Dick Jauron. But, I suspect they've got 5 or more years of being shitty though while they make up for all his personel mistakes over the years.

Just know that Ralph Wilson's ass is BURNING right now knowing that he's gotta pay him the rest of his $6 MILLION contract.

To save cost, i betcha ol' Ralphie heads down and throws on the headset.