Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
ramensandwich

Referee Equipment

lol having said that i would agree with starsfan, lots of kids shoot the puck towards the boards without looking, not so bad in level 1, but dangerous either way. You may want to also condider getting some ShinTights, ShinTights are a spandex, like material hockey sock, they're meant to go over your shin pads under your ref pants and also over your skate tongue and tendon guard, this keeps your pants over your skates, and no supervisor will go apeshit. And yes white laces are important, in Canada aswell.

Michael9 : I like to rock the 4500, I think that bucket goes great for reffing because it's not too bulky/flashy and offers great comfort and protection, it also looks good with just about any visor.

Wow, thanks again for all the good information. Looks like I will be making sure everything passes the mirror test first, as I do plan on moving up through the ranks eventually. I'm 20 and several of my youth hockey coaches have been able to ref in the local ECHL games, so I'm somewhat motivated.

Is it against the rules to have my whistle on a lanyard or does it have to be on my fingers? And what do you guys recommend wearing under the sweater to keep warm?

Wow, thanks again for all the good information. Looks like I will be making sure everything passes the mirror test first, as I do plan on moving up through the ranks eventually. I'm 20 and several of my youth hockey coaches have been able to ref in the local ECHL games, so I'm somewhat motivated.

Is it against the rules to have my whistle on a lanyard or does it have to be on my fingers? And what do you guys recommend wearing under the sweater to keep warm?

Must be on your fingers and you should be skating hard enough to keep you warm with just your normal wicking shirt.

Well if you're a linesman i would recommend some underarmor and maybe a small hockey jersey underneath. The bulkier you look and the more sure you are of your calls, the more respect you will get, and remember, always talk to the players.

If you plan on moving up to doing the ECHL games within the next few years I would reccomend something like the CCM PG100 pant/girdle combo. I am using this and I do games at every level of hockey here except for senior. Doing the "typical" level one games you won't really need the girdle part but even when you get to doing some peewee games you will... I never wore any thigh protection in my first year and man.. there were days where my thighs were black and blue and I could barely walk haha. That's when I bit the bullet and got the CCM Pro pants. As far as other gear goes I just wear my normal elbows and shins (Supreme 50 and XXV) the depending on what rink I am officiating in either heat gear underarmour, or just the $10 stuff from walmart. For a helmet/visor I wear the NBH 5500 and what was the Itech X-100, I guess it's the Bauer X-100 now ? Someone might be able to clarify on that one

If you plan on moving up to doing the ECHL games within the next few years I would reccomend something like the CCM PG100 pant/girdle combo. I am using this and I do games at every level of hockey here except for senior. Doing the "typical" level one games you won't really need the girdle part but even when you get to doing some peewee games you will...

I bought the PG100s when they first came out and I hated them. The plastic they used to make the pants felt like I was wearing a garbage bag instead of pants.Have they improved them over the last couple years?

Just to utilize a recent topic...I'm about to start reffing this winter and had a question about ref pants. First off, I'm 6'4" and 250 lbs so I'm a reasonably big guy. Which pants would be the best fit for someone my size? Unfortunately, I don't have too many LHS to go to in order to try on pants, so I'll need feedback from you guys.

Essentially, I am looking to find the pair of pants that would have the most generous cut. These pants would have to accommodate both my monster thighs, as well as be long enough to cover most of my long legs. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

all of the pants come very long in the legs. i am 5'7'' with a 34'' waist and i wear a large pant, mainly to have the extra room in the waist/legs for a girdle. so length should not be a huge issue for you from what i can tell. i ended up cutting off a lot of extra material from my 3 pairs. i would suggest ordering the CCM PP8L ref pants. they have lycra in the seat of the pants as well as the full length of each leg on the inside. i have 3 pairs of them and i wouldnt switch.

all of the pants come very long in the legs. i am 5'7'' with a 34'' waist and i wear a large pant, mainly to have the extra room in the waist/legs for a girdle. so length should not be a huge issue for you from what i can tell. i ended up cutting off a lot of extra material from my 3 pairs. i would suggest ordering the CCM PP8L ref pants. they have lycra in the seat of the pants as well as the full length of each leg on the inside. i have 3 pairs of them and i wouldnt switch.

Thanks for the suggestion!

okay guys, I took your suggestion and have the PP8L pants right here in my hands. they are very nice, but as noted rather long. I only wear a 32 inseam so obviously I'm gonna have to have these things hemmed up.

here's the question: I will be having them taken up about 4.5 inches. at that length, there is plenty of material. should I get the pants cuffed on the bottom, or just a plain hem?

thanks!

I'm beginning my sixth season as an official and I'll list my gear top to bottom:

Helmet - NBH 4500

Visor - Oakley Aviator (medium, CSA approved model)

Sweaters - CCM (I have separate sweaters for lining and reffing, sewn bands on my ref sweaters)

Elbow Pads - CCM EP100

Girdle - NBH 900

Pants - Stevens ST102 (the shell pants)

Shin Guards - Stevens DVS100

Shin Tights - Viceroy

Skates - NBH One95s with white ref laces and yellow Superfeet.

In addition, I wear Stevens' protective vest when I line ACHA Div II games. I do get hot wearing it, but it's saved my neck many times doing those games because the players don't often look where they're firing the puck!

i would suggest just getting a plain hem on them. you want to look as clean and neat as possible. if you are still growing, i know kids who have basically did the cuff on the inside of the pants so that you cannot see it but the extra material is there is you need it down the road. also make sure to try them on with your skates o and have them hemmed at that length. makes a big difference.

Edited by vdubbin

How about gloves? I'm taking the plunge this season (seminar is Saturday). I get cold easily and was thinking about wearing a pair of Under Armor cold gear gloves that I use for mountain biking when it's cold. I can remember seeing a few refs with gloves on and a whole lot of 'em without gloves blowing into their hands during stoppages. I can get my whistle over them no prob. Breach of the uniform 'code'? Will I get laughed at by my peers as a wuss?

Will I get laughed at by my peers as a wuss?

Most likely, yes. That's usually frowned upon by other refs unless you are doing an outdoor game and it is 10 below zero.

I know that in my area, if you are found wearing gloves, you get an email from some of the board members. And they usually arent very happy about it either...

Just bought some new gear.

Skates: Nikebauer one75

Helmet: Pro stock mission intake with bauer hs22 straight visor

Jersey: Some generic CCM

Pants: Nikebauer 900

Shins: Mission M-1 13"

Girdle: Mission thorax

Usually dont wear elbow pads until I get into the travel leagues, but when I do I wear One90 elbows. Kinda bulky but not very noticeable under the jersey

How about gloves? I'm taking the plunge this season (seminar is Saturday). I get cold easily and was thinking about wearing a pair of Under Armor cold gear gloves that I use for mountain biking when it's cold. I can remember seeing a few refs with gloves on and a whole lot of 'em without gloves blowing into their hands during stoppages. I can get my whistle over them no prob. Breach of the uniform 'code'? Will I get laughed at by my peers as a wuss?

instead of gloves try using the hand warms that you use with gloves. i got this tip a few years ago from a ref. they come in packs of two and you really only need one per set of games. i used to keep mine in my pocket and then at stops i would reach into my pocket and hold it for a few seconds. just enough heat to warm your hands up. worth thinking about i think as an option to wearing gloves.

Ahh good idea. Most rinks aren't that cold but the one I used to coach and skate at (Hagerstown, MD) was frickin' freezing all the time. I've seen refs with gloves on there.

It's done. I'm in! Just waiting on my crest.

They're already asking our level one group for guys to work the lines at a Midget tournament in a couple weeks. B)

It's done. I'm in! Just waiting on my crest.

They're already asking our level one group for guys to work the lines at a Midget tournament in a couple weeks. B)

You can't get that without ten years or being a good friend of someone around here.

Sorry for the thread necro, but this seemed like the best place to ask.

I've just signed up for level 1. Never reffed before, but always wanted to. I don't have kids (and don't plan to) but want to get involved in minor hockey in one way or another. I thought this would be a good way to do it.

Anyway, I'm wondering which whistle is "better":

- Fox 40 (has an NHL logo on it... is this the standard in the NHL?)

- Acme Thunderer (seems to be a pretty common model)

I'll likely never work anything but < 12 age group, so I'm not expecting to need a huge investment in gear. I was looking at

Stevens shins: http://www.refcloset.com/DVS100.html

Shock Doctor elbows: http://www.amazon.com/Shock-Doctor-Shockskin-Elbow-Guard/dp/B0053QEWDC

Shock Doctor padded shorts: http://www.hockeymonkey.com/shock-doctor-hockey-undergarment-shockskin-impact-short.html

And then of course jersey and pants. Not sure what do go with there. For shirt, the CCM Pro is pretty standard, isn't it? For pants, I was at hockeymonkey a while back and they had both heavy pants (same fabric as a high end player pant) or a softer pant. At first I may just wear a pair of black golf pants that I actually wear for curling (they're a nice stretch fabric, they'd actually be perfect for this use).

Money isn't a huge issue (happy to buy quality products) but I also don't want to show up for a level 1 game decked out in top of the line everything, and definitely will not need high level protection for anything more than falling down or errant sticks.

I'm excited :)

Whistles: Personal preference. The fox and acme whistles are both good. I use acme because the fix can get a bit shrill when you really hit it hard.

Pants are not a place you want to skimp. Skate and stick blades shred pants easily, and you often don't notice. I'd highly recommend the Stevens shell pant (non-padded). The CCM nylon pants tend to be very warm.

Your choice of elbow and hip pads is good. Several guys I know have the Stevens shin guards and do not like them. I recommend the CCM SG80 or 100. I use the 80 because they are less bulky.

The most important things a referee can bring to the game is the proper mindset and attitude. At that level you are just as much a teacher as you are a referee. No matter what anyone says, you are not the one to decide the game.

Whistles: Personal preference. The fox and acme whistles are both good. I use acme because the fix can get a bit shrill when you really hit it hard.

Pants are not a place you want to skimp. Skate and stick blades shred pants easily, and you often don't notice. I'd highly recommend the Stevens shell pant (non-padded). The CCM nylon pants tend to be very warm.

Your choice of elbow and hip pads is good. Several guys I know have the Stevens shin guards and do not like them. I recommend the CCM SG80 or 100. I use the 80 because they are less bulky.

Okay, cool. Thank you!

Well, if you think those stevens shell pants and the ccm pro linesman jersey are the way to go, im just going to go with this package: http://www.refcloset.com/Starter1.html

What do you think of something like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A3G1RVC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AN44MH56A8ZQ2 for shin guards? If I was concerned about being hit with a puck, I'd need more. But for little kids all I'm really worried about is the occasional accidental whack from a stick.

For helmets, is the 4500 still "the standard"? I was actually looking on IW and liked the 2100 more. Visor will likely just be a tron straight. I think buying a cheap helmet makes more sense than swapping visor and cage on my re-akt all the time.

The most important things a referee can bring to the game is the proper mindset and attitude. At that level you are just as much a teacher as you are a referee. No matter what anyone says, you are not the one to decide the game.

That's the idea :) I want to get involved in minor hockey but don't have kids. I think this lets me do both that, and my lifelong "dream" of being a hockey ref :)