Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
ramensandwich

Referee Equipment

I would use something that has hard plastic for shin pads. As for the helmet, as long as it fits, the price doesn't matter. Having one dedicated to ref work is a good idea.

I would use something that has hard plastic for shin pads. As for the helmet, as long as it fits, the price doesn't matter. Having one dedicated to ref work is a good idea.

Understood.

I don't really plan to buy another re-akt just for reffing. As long as they are comfortable, the 4500 and 2100 are the two I'm looking at. Will definitely have to actually try them in a store first, knowing how important fit and comfort are.

Yeah, hard plastic. Just use your playing shin guards for now.

For a helmet, I use a 4500 with an Oakley visor. It's a low-profile helmet that lots of guys use because it looks clean. I took the logos off and it's a keeper.

Yeah, hard plastic. Just use your playing shin guards for now.

For a helmet, I use a 4500 with an Oakley visor. It's a low-profile helmet that lots of guys use because it looks clean. I took the logos off and it's a keeper.

Meh, for the $33 I'll just get the CCM shins. I'd like to do all I can to keep my player and ref gear totally separate. Mixing stuff often leads to forgetting stuff, for me at least ;)

I used mylec street hock shins for years and I know guys that wear soccer shins. You aren't going to be blocking shots, but you should at least have something that will prevent serious damage and allow you to finish the game.

Didn't see it mentioned here, but I use a Reebok 3K roller girdle, I think it cost maybe $25, instead of the more expensive ice/ref girdles and it works fine. It's actually pretty nice since it's very light and easy to move it so it won't weigh you down at all. I also use a pair of sweats I got at Target in lieu of actual ref pants, never had an issue there, either.

Sooner or later you are going to hit the ice so knees and elbows should have decent protection. I always wore my regular shin and elbows. Some guys laughed that I used hockey socks under my ref pants so that I could tape my shins.

• Like 1

Sooner or later you are going to hit the ice so knees and elbows should have decent protection. I always wore my regular shin and elbows. Some guys laughed that I used hockey socks under my ref pants so that I could tape my shins.

A lot of guys use shin tights to hold them snugly in place

I already have some shin tights that I tried a while back. Didn't care for them, but they make more sense for this purpose (where there isn't much of a better option, either).

Good point about falling. I'm unlikely to have to worry about pucks with 8-12 year old kids, but I've taken Chadd's earlier mentioning of kids managing to trip you up into consideration during all of this. For a girdle, hip and tailbone protection is mostly all I'm worried about. I actually really like the look of these for that purpose: http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=MERELG

Unfortunately because of my size, an actual girdle is probably not going to be a good choice for me. I need something that is more like padded shorts. I'd go with the shock doctor padded shorts, if they had tailbone padding.

I really appreciate the suggestions and feedback, guys.

The G form crash shorts are great for reffing. I really like them but I have been too busy to work many games over the last couple years.

Unfortunately because of my size, an actual girdle is probably not going to be a good choice for me. I need something that is more like padded shorts. I'd go with the shock doctor padded shorts, if they had tailbone padding.

If you are/know someone who is good with crafts, you can always just purchase whatever pants you would like to wear, and install your own padding. I've know guys that just add a couple padded parts here and there. It gives you some protection without the "bulk" of a seperate girdle.

If you are/know someone who is good with crafts, you can always just purchase whatever pants you would like to wear, and install your own padding. I've know guys that just add a couple padded parts here and there. It gives you some protection without the "bulk" of a seperate girdle.

That's not a bad idea. Especially since falling is about all I'm worried about at this level. The tailbone pad from an old pair of player pants would be an easy addition, since most of them are just a big flap it should be able to be sewn into a pair of ref pants with a single straight line of stitching across the back of the waist band.

Working a squirt game is more like open skate than you realize. You can get away without a girdle for your first few years of officiating.

That's what I was figuring, and why I was just looking at padded shorts (in case of a fall) as opposed to an actual girdle.

I use the Farrell 5 pad compression shorts as a girdle and like them, but they're hard to find in all sizes now since I don't believe they're being made anymore. The shock doctor shorts don't seem like a bad option.

For shin guards I use the CCM SG100 shin guards - they're protective, but still low profile. I originally thought of just using my player pair, but they're a bit bulky for officiating and I also like the idea of having a completely separate setup for each activity as it does help avoid forgetting something. As others have mentioned, you don't have to get shin guards that say "referee" or "official" on them - just about anything that's low profile and has plastic protection for the shins will work.

I started out just using a pair of cheap roller blading elbow pads. They did the job and were low profile, but the straps stretched out within a year and the pads started sliding down all the time. I picked up some Bauer 1000 Official's Elbow pads this year and they're low profile and are designed for arms extending straight rather than staying bent like player pads. They're also pretty affordable at around $30. I've used them for half a season and they're still in great shape and stay in place much better than the inline pads. I haven't fallen directly on my elbow while officiating, but they have a soft outer cap and an plastic insert for the elbow that should provide adequate protection for minor spills. There's not much to the forearm and bicep protection, but you don't really need that for officiating.

I have the Fox40 whistle (two of them actually). When I was taking my first certification courses last year the Acme Thunderer was recommended because it's less shrill as laser bottom mentioned, but they said the Fox40 was also acceptable. I simply went with the Fox40 because it was cheaper and more readily available in my area. I was told to pick up two whistles and keep a backup in my pocket at all times in case the primary whistle stops working. I've done this, but so far both whistles have held up over a year and a half.

For shin tights I use Hogan Hockey cut resistant referee shin tights with Kevlar. They're $32 + shipping vs paying $25-$30 for the Viceroy ones readily available in my area in stores. The Hogan ones add protection (that I haven't needed yet) and are quite durable. I've seen several officials with stretched out Viceroy tights, but my Hogan tights have held up very well. If you already have shin tights just use those, but if they wear out I'd consider the Hogan's in the future.

I've tried a few jerseys and now only have a CCM pro and Bauer pro jerseys. I sold all the rec ones I had. The Pro jerseys have more room in the arms for padding which is more comfortable, are double stitched and are thicker so they're more durable than the rec jerseys. The one in the package you linked to earlier is a pro weight linesmen jersey with snaps for bands (usually when you're first starting you work in a two official system and don't need the bands) and would be a good one.

I've been happy with the TronS30 Visor. Oh, and if you need to use a neck guard like we do in Canada then I highly recommend the Kevlar Bauer neck guards vs. the traditional foam ones. They're much more comfortable. I have a Bauer shirt with the neck guard built in.

Edited by althoma1
  • Like 3

Has anyone seen/used the new Fox40 Caul Whistle? Does anyone in the NHL actually use them?

FFCAUL-1.jpg

The Fox40 Official NHL Caul Whistle is a revolutionary pealess whistle named in honor of the late John McCauley. The indestructible polycarbonate body features a flexible fingergrip which is designed to fit multiple hand sizes and reduce impact energy on the hand. These whistles are designed for hockey with the traditional lower tone that allows you to take control.

Those look pretty good actually.

I ordered riot pads from Bench-Brawl in September which was a "pre-order". Never received them, and unfortunately because it was a pre-order it was after the 45-day PayPal dispute period before I realized they weren't ever coming. Oh well.

These look even better though.

I came across the new Bauer official's elbow and shin pads while at Pro Hockey Life today (was curious to try the new Bauer skate fitting machine, but they didn't have that) and thought they were pretty interesting. They were both light, low profile, segmented, had neoprene sleeves and used 37.5. I just bought new CCM ref elbow pads a few months ago and don't need to replace my shins yet, but these will both be on my radar when the time comes or if I find them on sale. Oh, the CDN prices were $59.99 for the elbows and $74.99 for the shins:

1051460_bauer_2017_referee_shin_guards.j1051459_bauer_2017_ref_elbow_pads.jpg