Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
ramensandwich

Referee Equipment

Hi guys, I am getting started with officiating this season as USA Hockey Level 1 official. I haven't been able to get a definitive answer so apparently opinions vary. For those of you who officiate, how much gear do you wear to do it? Shin pads are pretty obvious. Elbow pads? Girdle?

If so, do you wear models specifically made for refs or just your hockey stuff? I have the mission fuel 130 setup which is pretty bulky, but I think I should wear my old tackla girdle and shins/elbows. What do you think? For what it's worth, I've been playing for a long time and skate well, but I haven't really observed how frequently officials fall down.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Im not sure about level 1 in usa but in canada you definatly wont need a girdle. Some guys feel weird skating without them, i go without. I just wear a pair of shinpads, my referee pants, my skates, elbow pads sometimes, a jersey, a whistle, a helmet with a visor and something warm under.

Oh, might want to wear a cup as well. Level 1 is basically just atom/peewee/house league isnt it? Thats what they had me do when i started out, mostly peewee aa/bantam house area and they had me move up to bantam aa , i coudlnt do further because i wasnt 16.

It all depends on the games that you will be doing, I was working adult games my first year. Obviously shins, elbows and a cup are the minimum, but I would at least look into a cheap inline or ref girdle before too long. You will drop the puck and have two little bastards take out your ankles from behind as they charge into the faceoff. It happens to everyone at some point.

You don't need to go crazy with the gear, Mylec shins and some volleyball kneepads for your elbows are more than enough. I have used both dedicated ref gear and junk and both work fine. Player gear is more bulk than you need and some of the guys will give you a hard time about whatever you use, those are usually just the dicks that you won't want to work with anyway. Oh, and at least three guys will tell you that you need to use Grafs or some other all black skate.

Up until a couple of years ago I was a level 3...did a lot of Bantam-Midget AAA games. All I ever wore was old shin pads and a cup. Never any problems, no injuries. Make sure to tape the tip of your whistle tho...ive seen a bunch of guys hurt their teeth/lip.

Thanks for the replies guys, as far as the black skates I have that covered. Chadd could you elaborate more on these volleyball pads you use for elbows? I tried on my old girdle/shins with my ref pants and spent a while on the mirror test, all that seems fine. However my elbow pads are really bulky and seem to be way too much, but I'm not too keen on going out with no protection there.

When I was a level 2 all I wore were a pair of black pants with old shin pads, and just some black ua and the ref jersey. Just watch your hands when you drop the puck with the little guys, and look behind you when you are backing up from the faceoff, dont want to run one of the youngsters over.

I dont think black skates are that important, i have white 9k's so theres no way im going out and buying another black pair, i think it just means if you can dont buy flashy skates.

I'm in the same boat that I don't wear a girdle. I used to for Midget House and Bantam Travel but I couldn't get going as quickly, therefore bringing my performance as a ref down.

Helmet w/visor, shins, elbow pads, ref pants, ref shirt, thermal pants and shirt. All I've worn since getting rid of my girdle.

I've also been told that having black skates helps in your supervisions, but I went from the silver Easton Z-Air's to Vapor XX's over the course of my refereeing and I was never told anything other than, "Make sure your laces are white."

Starting off i'd say all you need for equipment is a pair of shin pads and a cup. I'd say wear a girdle when you start doing bantam hockey or any kind of hockey where someone can shoot a puck.

I do a lot of bantam/midget and some junior hockey now and have seen officials wear padded shirts like inline players do...and there are times where i wished i wore one. When i line games higher up (midget aaa or junior) i wear elbow pads and pop a mouthguard in (clear and molded by my dentist). Any other hockey i don't bother and i never wear either as a referee.

It's kind of personal preference and experience i guess. If you get a good shot to the thigh...put a girdle on.

You can grab a pair of cheap elbow pads that are less bulky but offer decent protection.

http://www.robbinssports.com/sporting-good...l-knee-pads.jpg

Skate pads would also work

http://www.skatewarehouse.com/skateboard_e...page-ELBOW.html

I used these:

http://www.epuck.com/drrefepsr.html

The DR ref stuff is nice. It's really just a thin plastic shell with minimal padding or bulk and elastic bands in addition to the straps to help keep the pads in place.

I'm in the same boat that I don't wear a girdle. I used to for Midget House and Bantam Travel but I couldn't get going as quickly, therefore bringing my performance as a ref down.

A girdle slowed you down so much that it negatively impacted your performance? :rolleyes:

Don't forget the most important piece of referee equipment: earplugs to drown out parents bitching about every little call.

I toss parents out that bitch about calls.

Don't forget the most important piece of referee equipment: earplugs to drown out parents bitching about every little call.

If you did that around here, it would just be the kids and the coaches. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

• Like 1

I wish the refs did that when I played high school hockey.

I'm in my 6th year, level 3, doing alot of high level bantam and midget games, i only wear a cup and ref shin pads, but after eating a few to many shots on the tighs last year I think I'm going to finally cave in and buy a girdle. What bucket set-up do most of you guys wear?

I do a lot of contact hockey, so I use a girdle. Also, a lot of players slap the puck without looking.

I wish the refs did that when I played high school hockey.

Jesus High school hockey is the worst especially when you know half the kids parents. I had to kick my friends girlfriend out of the game because there were kids in the stands and she was cussing worse then a sailor.

one thing i would highly advise wearing is a visor. just a little piece of security for you mind that your eyes will have some protection. like others have said make sure to use white laces. also i didnt see any one say anything about shin tight. goes over you shin pad and top of your skate. tuck you laces in to keep it all looking neat. if you look and act the part it is a lot easier to sell the call. i dont know how serious you want to take it, but the further you do, the more attention to you look you need to pay. i do d-1 college and below and going up throw the ranks supervisors notice the little things in how you look on the ice. just a little advice.

sorry if its sucha a noob question but whats the deal with making sure if you have white laces..is it a rule or something

It is for USA Hockey and some refs/supervisors get really anal about it. I've had guys bitch about the laces with blue dots in them and I know one guy that washes his laces every week to make sure they stay bright.

thanks for answering my question dsjunior and chadd i learn something new every day and chadd thats just crazy gettin bitched at for having blue dots on the laces if im thinking of the same laces they arent that noticeable are they

thanks for answering my question dsjunior and chadd i learn something new every day and chadd thats just crazy gettin bitched at for having blue dots on the laces if im thinking of the same laces they arent that noticeable are they

Yeah well, that guy ended up killing himself if that's any indication.