Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RadioGaGa

The 2009-2010 Suspension Thread

I would mention that since Cooke didn't get anything, neither should Ovie, but since the NHL's idea of suspension-worthy hits are a joke I won't bother. Colin Campbell is a clueless twat dinosaur that has no business working with anything related to the NHL.

That is the reasoning that will never lead to getting it right. That translates into, "We screwed up before so to be consistent we have to screw this up as well. To hell with getting it right, just follow precedence!"

Definite boarding, but I dont think it's suspension worthy, like allsmoke said.

In the replay, it looks like Ovechkin pushes campbell, but he was just expecting cambell to sort of take the hit and glide into the boards, Ovechkin himself doesnt even expect campbell to go into the boards the way he did.

Dont rag on me for being an Ovechkin fan, I agree that it was boarding, and that he is reckless and hits hard. But i dont think the hit itself is bad enough to warrant a suspension.

I would mention that since Cooke didn't get anything, neither should Ovie, but since the NHL's idea of suspension-worthy hits are a joke I won't bother. Colin Campbell is a clueless twat dinosaur that has no business working with anything related to the NHL.

I think they should consider letting Ovie slide if he boards Cooke.

yet it waa that exact logic they used in not suspending cooke, citing the richards non suspension as the precedence.

I ager with you and said it should not be a reactionary thing but the league apparently disagrees

That is the reasoning that will never lead to getting it right. That translates into, "We screwed up before so to be consistent we have to screw this up as well. To hell with getting it right, just follow precedence!"

I'd like to see teams start blackballing players and not signing the shit-disturbing dirty players to contracts. Of course that'd require the NHL doing something to devalue the agitators in the league and that's never happening, so pipe dreams they'll be.

yet it waa that exact logic they used in not suspending cooke, citing the richards non suspension as the precedence.

I ager with you and said it should not be a reactionary thing but the league apparently disagrees

Yep, the league needs to say, "No matter how much we screwed it up in the past, here is the new standard going forward."

Anyone argue the suspension in being too short/too long?

Lapierre got 4 for a dirty check from behind,

Ovi got 2 for a reckless hit from behind,

so I quess it is fair, I don't know if more would have been warranted, but really what does two games do, won't change Ovi, loses some pocket change, he gets some rest(he'd prefer to play), & Campbell is gone.

Anyone argue the suspension in being too short/too long?

As a caps fan its hard to see. It was definitely a reckless hit, but the thing that bothers me if 2 weeks ago cooke gets off with that hit, where he KNEW he was about the destroy the guy in the head. Ovie does a little reckless yet innocent thing at the same time, gets two games, most likely looses the rocket richard trophy this season with no hope of comeback while cooke gets off easy. Not fair in my opinion.

As a caps fan its hard to see. It was definitely a reckless hit, but the thing that bothers me if 2 weeks ago cooke gets off with that hit, where he KNEW he was about the destroy the guy in the head. Ovie does a little reckless yet innocent thing at the same time, gets two games, most likely looses the rocket richard trophy this season with no hope of comeback while cooke gets off easy. Not fair in my opinion.

Sounds a little hypocritical, I don't think you can be both. I'm pretty sure 80% of minor hockey players know not to push a guy on the back when he's 3-4 feet from the boards. And the 20% that don't are probably under the age of 10 or still learning to skate.

That said I still feel Cooke should have been suspended as his was just as reckless.

It's not the Cooke hit, not every act needs to be compared to Cooke, that little rat should have be handed a huge suspension but he wasn't, let's end it. Colin Campbell is a tool.

But, this is Ovi and his reckless hit on a guy 3 feet from the boards, which has left him broken and out. Who cares about Cooke, this is Ovi.

Cooke=Richards

Ovi=Lapierre

Cooke=Richards

Ovi=Lapierre

Exactly. Comparisons need to be drawn from similar instances, and in this case I think it was handled well. Lapierre's was definite intent, Ovi's was just a reckless push with a complete disregard of the potential outcome.

from the explanations i have heard on the radio they are saying that ovie's hit was illegal according to the nhl rules and cooke's wasn't.

also they said there was a 5:00 penalty called on the play which meant the league automatically reviews it and on the cooke play there wasn't a penalty called.

this time next year both hits will be illegal - but for now i would say they are trying to be consistent - but obviously not everyone is going to be happy.

Yeah, not sure why everyone is comparing this to Cooke, when it's not even close to comparable.

I think it should have been three games. I know one game more doesn't seem like all that much, but it was only two games last time and though it wasn't as harsh as Lapierre, it was still similar enough to put it at three IMO.

It's not comparable in that one hit had intent to injure and one was just reckless, so I'll agree with that part.

Yes men always get people in more trouble in the future

Statement from George McPhee, Washington Capitals vice president and general manager

“We have no problem with the way Alex tried to finish his check. Unfortunately, an injury resulted. We are disappointed with the suspension but do not want to comment further.”

No problem, you have to have some problem with it, you don't like the suspension fine, but your saying "do it again, we love that about you.

Isn't the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results?

Another 2 game suspension. Great. At what point is Campbell going to realize that a short suspension is clearly not a deterrent?

Wake me when a potentially career-ending, let alone season-ending, play gets a suspension greater than 20 games. Because that's probably the same time that a guy who is cavalier about risking others' safety is going to change his game.

Ovi is a puppy that keeps shitting on the rug.

A 2 game suspension isn't that severe. If the Caps were fighting for a playoff spot or home ice...yes. If this suspension was handed out during the playoffs...yes. In those instances; a 2 game suspension would have some sting.

But, the Caps have all but clinched the #1 seed in the East and this is coming up on the time of the year where coaches start scratching their top guys so they can get rest and avoid injury.

So, in these circumstances, a 2-game suspension isn't shit. A 4 game suspension would mean the Sid v. Ovi game couldn't happen...so there's that to think about. But conspiracy theories aside: LaPierre was issued a 4 game suspension for throwing someone head 1st into the boards after a scoring chance - Ovechkin gets a 2 game suspension for throwing someone into the boards 200' away from his net after said player reversed the puck.

I'm going to try to stop looking for any logic in this decision...it is what it is.

Unless I'm mistaken, the last big suspension was Downie's 20 gamer for the hit on McAmmond? Hopefully with more rulings next year on head shots we'll see some more solid ground on handling suspensions.