Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RadioGaGa

The 2009-2010 Suspension Thread

i think the funniest thing is that the refs gave him a major penalty for interference and a game misconduct for intent to injure but then the league didn't back up the refs at all - I wonder what Kerry Fraser and Kelly Sutherland's opinion is?

chadd i understand if you think it deserved a suspension for being a "hit to the head". but there was no charge at all. he took no strides and his feet never left the ice until AFTER impact. yes he crouched down low and yes he lifted with his legs...but that is simply textbook. every kid is tought to hit like that.

Leaving your feet before you make contact actually lessens the impact. By jumping up and into Booth he did the most possible damage. He also skated in from an angle and got in front of Booth and chose to target the head. He knew Booth wasn't looking and did everything possible to do the maximum amount of damage.

As for teaching kids to hit like that, it's one of the biggest problems with the game today. The game was not played this way until recently. We've discussed the lack of respect that players have for each other a number of times in the past. This is yet another example of that.

" (NOTE 2) Possession of the Puck:

The last player to touch the puck, other than the goalkeeper, shall be considered the player in possession. The player deemed in possession of the puck may be checked legally, provided the check is rendered immediately following his loss of possession."

The other guy had the puck on his stick by the time the hit was delivered. Once another player is in possession and control of the puck, the last player to have the puck is no longer fair game. Obviously the NHL has ignored this for years.

and to whoever said "he blindsided booth" - im sorry but booth should not have put himself in a position to be so blind. walking through the middle admiring your pass is an invitation to getting wrecked

And if Richards goes body to body on him, nobody here is calling him out for the hit. I'm a Chicago fan and you don't see me bitching about the hit on Toews. Similar hit from the blind side but perfectly legal in every respect.

i think the funniest thing is that the refs gave him a major penalty for interference and a game misconduct for intent to injure but then the league didn't back up the refs at all - I wonder what Kerry Fraser and Kelly Sutherland's opinion is?

He got the five and game because Booth left on a stretcher. If Booth gets up and skates to the bench, there probably isn't a penalty on the play.

do you think fraser & sutherland thought it warranted a suspension? i was just assuming from their calls that they actually thought it was

As a ref, that isn't up to you. You make the penalty call and it's up to others to decide what, if any, suspension is applicable. They teach you that from the very start.

do you think fraser & sutherland thought it warranted a suspension? i was just assuming from their calls that they actually thought it was

As a ref, that isn't up to you. You make the penalty call and it's up to others to decide what, if any, suspension is applicable. They teach you that from the very start.

very true - so how does a ref judge "intent to injure"? because no one knows what richards real intent was

very true - so how does a ref judge "intent to injure"? because no one knows what richards real intent was.

Maybe because he only hit his head...and hit it hard enough to put it into the 10th row. There was no other intent possible. It sure wasnt done to seperate him from the puck....it was in the possession of his team mate.

He was hunting him down with the intent to demolish him. Put a Devils uniform on Richards and it looked exactly like a Stevens hit.

very true - so how does a ref judge "intent to injure"? because no one knows what richards real intent was

My criteria:

If the act was likely to cause an injury and/or

Was not a hockey play and/or

Was an act of retribution

I was wondering if Scuderi would hear anything about his "Peca" on Chimera Sunday night.

Ott probably got two games for being a prick, Richards got none because he's a good guy.

I thought the Scuderi hit was clean. 1 on 1 situation where he goes low and the guy gets flipped.. I didnt see anything wrong there.

I thought Scuderi was worse than Ott's, it wasn't a hip check, it was a submarine. No way he should be that low to throw a check, could have broken Chimera's neck.

I love hard hits like most on here, but it makes me sick to see guys out cold even before they hit the ice. Richards exploded into the head of Booth, intent to injure, should have been suspended (I am a huge Richards fan).

Someone is going to die on the ice soon and then the changes will come. Sad the NHL is a reaction league (little girl is killed by puck, lets put up nets) and not a proactive league (lets make head shots a suspension)

Ott probably got two games for being a prick, Richards got none because he's a good guy.

QFT- pretty weak to warrant a suspension IMO.

How exactly does one become a repeat offender if the league won't suspend you?

ott's didnt actually look bad to me - unless i missed something

scuderi's wasn't good - i think its the equivalent of an intentional knee on knee collision - he shoudn't have been that low

maybe this is a little harsh but if i was in campbell's shoes i would be handing out punishments in increments of 5. First time offense is 5 games - second is 10 or whatever is warranted - none of this messing around with 1's 2's and 3's

QFT- pretty weak to warrant a suspension IMO.

This.

Brendan Morrow was on NHL Live this afternoon and basically said the players have no idea what will be a suspension and what will not. If the players don't know what acts aren't legal, the league has failed.

Brendan Morrow was on NHL Live this afternoon and basically said the players have no idea what will be a suspension and what will not. If the players don't know what acts aren't legal, the league has failed.

Hopefully he doesn't get 2 for 'inappropiate comments' :rolleyes:

Nah, he'll just get hit with that painful $1,000 fine. That'll teach him.

Strange thought, how can the maximum fine levied by the NHL be less than the traditional rookie dinner?

Hopefully he doesn't get 2 for 'inappropiate comments' :rolleyes:

That was a summary of his comments, he wasn't nearly that blunt. I believe his comments were that given the stuff that has not resulted in a suspension this season, he was surprised that Ott would be missing games.

So far there hasn't been anything on the hit that cut open Okposo either. Very similar to the hit on Tucker, but he didn't leave on a stretcher.

Holy shit, just saw the hit Niedermeyer threw last night. That meets every criteria for a suspension, other than the guy leaving on a stretcher. Lined him up several strides away, left his feet, went for the head, etc... Obviously he won't be suspended, but there is no justification for letting him walk.

Holy shit, just saw the hit Niedermeyer threw last night. That meets every criteria for a suspension, other than the guy leaving on a stretcher. Lined him up several strides away, left his feet, went for the head, etc... Obviously he won't be suspended, but there is no justification for letting him walk.

Saw that on 'On the Fly' today and holy shit is right. I couldn't believe it. He drilled him in the head, and correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it a hit from behind as well?

:rolleyes:

And yet again, they mess up. Ott should be fined, Scuderi suspended.

I do think it's easier to Justify Scuderi's hit than Ott's. At least Scuderi was playing a one on one at the time while Ott was hitting someone well after the puck was gone. That said, it sure looked like Scuderi was going for the knees.

:rolleyes:

And yet again, they mess up. Ott should be fined, Scuderi suspended.

I do think it's easier to Justify Scuderi's hit than Ott's. At least Scuderi was playing a one on one at the time while Ott was hitting someone well after the puck was gone. That said, it sure looked like Scuderi was going for the knees.

Slow-mo shows Scuderi lining up well below the knees, and Chimera's head skidding along the ice for a couple inches before he completes the 360 twist.