Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RadioGaGa

The 2009-2010 Suspension Thread

i guess i am gonna get the reputation as "that guy" on these boards...but ill chime in on the OHL incident.

first let me say that my thoughts and prayers go out to the kid and his family. you never want to see a guy in critical condition...much less due to something so meaningless as a game.

that said...it wasnt all liambis's fault. up until the last second he was lining fanelli up at the chest. finelli spun to dish the puck off..exposing his back to take the hit.

had he not turned away he would not have gone down so awkwardly and his head certainly would not have had such an ugly collision with the boards.

not to mention the fact that his helmet was lifted up off his head before he came crashing into the boards. probably wasnt wearing it properly. its not a shock that his skull was fractured considering his bare head met the boards at that speed. the helmet was already on the ice at that point.

im not saying it was clean though..so dont get me wrong. it was easily boarding...possibly a charge but thats debatable.

i think this is another example of us judging a play based on the result of it rather than the play itself.

again- thoughts and prayers go to the fanellis. good to hear that he is showing signs of recovery.

Richards could just as easily have gone shoulder to shoulder on Booth and knocked him arse over teakettle.

almost an identical hit with no suspension. The only reason the hit looks so bad is because he turns his head at the last second. if he doesn't do that, it's shoulder on shoulder.

Ummmmmmmm.............this hit you're showing is a complete head shot. Turning his head or not, Letowski was going to get smoked and there was no intent on hitting shoulder to shoulder.

i guess i am gonna get the reputation as "that guy" on these boards...but ill chime in on the OHL incident.

first let me say that my thoughts and prayers go out to the kid and his family. you never want to see a guy in critical condition...much less due to something so meaningless as a game.

that said...it wasnt all liambis's fault. up until the last second he was lining fanelli up at the chest. finelli spun to dish the puck off..exposing his back to take the hit.

had he not turned away he would not have gone down so awkwardly and his head certainly would not have had such an ugly collision with the boards.

not to mention the fact that his helmet was lifted up off his head before he came crashing into the boards. probably wasnt wearing it properly. its not a shock that his skull was fractured considering his bare head met the boards at that speed. the helmet was already on the ice at that point.

im not saying it was clean though..so dont get me wrong. it was easily boarding...possibly a charge but thats debatable.

i think this is another example of us judging a play based on the result of it rather than the play itself.

again- thoughts and prayers go to the fanellis. good to hear that he is showing signs of recovery.

You might have a case except that every single hit by this kid Liambis that I have seen is at the very least a charge. This kid is trying to do one thing and that is kill people. With that latest hit he almost succeeded.

"And, with the {nth} pick in the 2010 draft, the Philadelphia Flyers select................"

You might have a case except that every single hit by this kid Liambis that I have seen is at the very least a charge. This kid is trying to do one thing and that is kill people. With that latest hit he almost succeeded.

"And, with the {nth} pick in the 2010 draft, the Philadelphia Flyers select................"

ah. i dont get much ohl action down here in virginia so i wouldnt know. if liambis has the history then i can see the case behind suspending him indefinitely.

its one thing to play with reckless abandon...its another to play with malice and intent to injure (kill).

Wisnewski suspended 2 games for this hit on Doan.

http://www.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?id=50350

First look, its a nice hit, but on one of the other angles, he follows through awfully high with his right arm. Had he kept it tucked in I would have said clean because he got him in the chest. Not really sure what to make of this. There have been half a dozen other hits that were more of a head-shot than this one, yet received no suspension from the league. I have offically given up trying to understand the disciplinary system.

i think it was an elbow to the face - and i dont think it was accidental - looked like he knew exactly what he was doing and basically jumped at him. i would have started at 5 games at least but probably given him 10 - i didnt realize players disliked doan - wonder if doan did something to him earlier?

First look, its a nice hit, but on one of the other angles, he follows through awfully high with his right arm. Had he kept it tucked in I would have said clean because he got him in the chest. Not really sure what to make of this. There have been half a dozen other hits that were more of a head-shot than this one, yet received no suspension from the league. I have offically given up trying to understand the disciplinary system.

I think in this case it has to do with Wisnewski reaching out with the arm and making contact with the head. Shoulders to the head have always been back and forth suspension wise but in cases like this it seems its always ended with a suspension.

I think in this case it has to do with Wisnewski reaching out with the arm and making contact with the head. Shoulders to the head have always been back and forth suspension wise but in cases like this it seems its always ended with a suspension.

ooh okay. Similar to the Pronger V Fisher deal?

ooh okay. Similar to the Pronger V Fisher deal?

Exactly.

whats the point of fighting wisnewski if you're going to get your clock cleaned? send a fighter next time.

Bob McKenzie is reporting that Curtis Glencross has gotten 3 games for his hit on Drury. I've only seen one clip on Yahoo! but it didn't look that bad to me, other than the fact that Drury didn't have the puck ;)

I would have guessed one game max.

Bob McKenzie is reporting that Curtis Glencross has gotten 3 games for his hit on Drury. I've only seen one clip on Yahoo! but it didn't look that bad to me, other than the fact that Drury didn't have the puck ;)

Blindside hit to a guy without the puck that happens to be a "name" player will always get a couple games.

Is it just me or does it seem like we are seeing significantly more questionable hits this year? I don't recall this many hits and potential suspensions being discussed in the past.

I've never seen the players so agile across all lines (X:60s and FBVs?). And pick plays are called now, so there's a lot of kinetic energy going into finishing the checks.

Blindside hit to a guy without the puck that happens to be a "name" player will always get a couple games.

Is it just me or does it seem like we are seeing significantly more questionable hits this year? I don't recall this many hits and potential suspensions being discussed in the past.

Totally agree, feels like we have a new one to discuss every couple days.

That's actually pretty well done. You can tell exactly who they are talking about in just about every situation.

old time hockey.

Well said. Its not about how many you win, its about how many you show up to, something a lot of people don't understand. I have respect for anyone with the balls to stick up for themselves, thats what bugs me about today's hockey. Someone gets hit like that, if there not a "fighter", then they go back to the bench whine to a fighter and then that fighter goes and fights the other fighter .. what does that accomplish? Nothing. By sticking up for yourself, dropping the gloves and taking it into your own hands, win or lose it sends a message to your opponent that although they might have got the best of you, your not only up for it but your not afraid to back down. It frustrates me beyond belief to see one good clean hit only to see two 240 pound brawlers step on the ice and duke it out .. if neither of them were involved then why fight? Thumbs up to anyone who will drop them.