Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TCsnipes9

Edge mouthpiece?

i dont see whats wrong with proguard or shockdoctor mouthguards.....i have never had a problem with these, and you can easily get a new one without blowing your wallet if it gets too chewed up =\ unless your getting a deal i dont think i could justify spending that much money on a mouthguard unless you have had life threatening concussion problems or something

I hated mouthguards but after my 5th concussion I thought it would be wise to wear one again. My problem was they were hard to talk with, plus I loved to chew gum while I played. It's so much better with my custom mouthguard now, as it totally locks into my teeth.

i dont see whats wrong with proguard or shockdoctor mouthguards.....i have never had a problem with these, and you can easily get a new one without blowing your wallet if it gets too chewed up =\

...Most of the custom mouthguards that I have seen are "laminated," so they are almost impossible to chew through. I know I have a big problem with chewing my mouthpiece during warm-ups, before face-offs and between shifts (I get very nervous and kinda twitchy). I probably go through about six or seven mouthguards a year. I have heard that the custom jobs can take some abuse; I'd like to put them to the test.

I get my customs for cheap at a dentist because a dad on my team is a dentist. So it only costs me $25 cdn. I get it made the same way as jr, it sucks when they pull out the pink goo and some of it gets stuck in ur teeth. When you first get them they taste pretty good, lol.

I hated mouthguards but after my 5th concussion I thought it would be wise to wear one again.

Yea I hated mouthguards too, have the same prob. as you JR, I'm 14.5 and have already had 3 concussions in 4 years, so I figured mouthguards are worth something

even though its not a league rule(gthl) were forced to use them because of a coah on the team, if we dont have it for game or practice we dont stp on the ice

does ne one know how much a denist mouth gaurd well run you in usd if you dont have ne connections

I just got a mouthguard from my dentist and it was $150 CDN which is about $120 USD. Usually mouth guards from your dentist are not covered by dental plans either.

With the dentist ones, they aren't as much for protecting yourself from concussions, more for chipped teeth. That's coming straight from my dentist who made mine. If you want more concussion protection you are better off going with a Shock Doc.

we get a association deal...(well for everybody who play double letter) can have the mouthguard custom made at 40 $CND but normally the price is 150 CND...pretty pricy!

With the dentist ones, they aren't as much for protecting yourself from concussions, more for chipped teeth. That's coming straight from my dentist who made mine. If you want more concussion protection you are better off going with a Shock Doc.

what the difference....?? in my opinions it all piece of plastic molded your teeth lol!

i dont see how a custom made 150$CND mouth guard can't be better then a 15-20CND all fit mouth guard...

OK, sorry about the prior post TMI(too much information). The articles posted said that there is no proof that jaw position improves atheletic performance....this is what the ad was saying. Some page on their web site stated that by putting the jaw in a certain position(the power position) it would relax the jaw and increase blood flow, therefore increase performance. It would be nice if the referanced the article.......

In my opinion if you can get a store bought mouth guard to fit comfortably then your set. If not then you need to spend the money on a dentist, and get on made to fit properly.

The main function of the mouth guard is to prevent cuncussion. A secondary benefit is reducing chipped teeth. It will not prevent major dental trauma(ie if you get crosschecked in the mouth , it's not going to prevent losing your chicklets) thats what cages/facemasks are made for.

you use it, can you give us any info? does it work, can you tell a difference, etc?

It just seems to hold up better than shockdr's... other than that not a whole lot.

At first glance I thought that this was another gimmic that with the right PR (nice flash web site and pro endorsements) and some "mock" science they could sucker somebody into spending $100 on a mouth guard.  Why not, they will spend $200 on a hockey stick or $500 on a golf club.  I did a little digging and this is what I found...(sorry about the length of this post..In summary this is snake oil friends!!)

Influence of intra-oral maxillary sports mouthguards on the airflow dynamics of oral breathing. (eng; includes abstract) By Amis T, Med Sci Sports Exerc, 2000 Feb; Vol. 32 (2), pp. 284-90; PMID: 10694108; PURPOSE: Mouthguards worn during sporting competition may influence oral airway flow dynamics and potentially increase airflow resistance during mouth breathing. CONCLUSION: Thus, although maxillary mouthguards do increase airflow resistance when jaw position is controlled, individual subjects respond differently when in control of mouth opening. This may be related to variable recruitment of compensatory mechanisms (e.g. mouth opening and/or oral airway dilator muscle activity).

Temporomandibular joint repositioning and exercise performance: a double-blind study. (eng; includes abstract) By McArdle WD, Med Sci Sports Exerc, 1984 Jun; Vol. 16 (3), pp. 228-33; PMID: 6748919; In the present study, the effects of temporomandibular joint (TMJ) repositioning by use of an acrylic appliance on maximum and submaximum physiologic and performance measures were evaluated in seven male and four female volunteers with documented TMJ malalignment.  Analysis of variance for repeated measures indicated that in no instance were the differences in mean scores on physiologic and performance measures with TMJ repositioning or placebo statistically significant when compared with the normal condition.

The influence of different jaw positions on the endurance and electromyographic pattern of the biceps brachii muscle in young adults with different occlusal characteristics. (eng; includes abstract) By Ferrario VF, J Oral Rehabil, 2001 Aug; Vol. 28 (8), pp. 732-9; PMID: 11556954  In conclusion, a morphologically altered occlusion does not always worsen the muscular performance of other body districts

Did anyone else not understand a single word of that?

Temporomandibular joint repositioning...

im not sure what repositioning means, but Temporo (temporal, by your temples, mandibular, your bottom row of teeth, joint.) thats the joint right near your earlobe

Like cobraa, my ass. has a deal, $20 to get one. I'm going to go get one this week, just because I have a real bad habit of chewing on my cheap ones and wrecking them.

Hi guys. Speaking of mouth guards....

I just tried out the XLR8 mouth guard and really struggled. It competes with ShockDoc, but they have a 100% satisfaction guarantee so I tried it, and well, will utilize their refund policy.

http://www.xlr8yourgame.com

In short, it was way too clunky. And I know I didn't get one that was too big as I wear an anti teeth grinding one at night (life is stressful you know).

The worst thing was these protective parts that went along the sides of the back molars for more protection. A good idea in theory, but it triggers a gag reflex and doesn't allow for enough air flow so I was hurting.

Shock Doc users -- please tell me their product is better because as far as I know they don't have a refund policy!

JJ

Hmm, I used one and I really liked it, besides the fact that i chewed it up like crazy, but I really liked it. I think I would buy another one, and try to not chew it up as fast.

I've got a V3 shock doctor and its a bit bulky but if you clamp down it has a channel so you can breathe. I've worn my for about 2years now and i hardly notice it. I did notice that if you don't fit it correctly it will be really hard to talk, if you fit it correctly it easier to talk but still a little more diffcult than normal, but in the heat of a game no one has a problem hearing me. I like those gladiator ones, but 75 is a little steep.

i dont see whats wrong with proguard or shockdoctor mouthguards.....i have never had a problem with these, and you can easily get a new one without blowing your wallet if it gets too chewed up =\

...Most of the custom mouthguards that I have seen are "laminated," so they are almost impossible to chew through. I know I have a big problem with chewing my mouthpiece during warm-ups, before face-offs and between shifts (I get very nervous and kinda twitchy). I probably go through about six or seven mouthguards a year. I have heard that the custom jobs can take some abuse; I'd like to put them to the test.

You're like Samsonov. Do you ever saw Samsonov on the bench, he's always chewing his mouthpiece.