Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fire0nIce228

Ballard two-hands Vokoun

Agree, Disagree?  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=300597

Just saw it. Wow. Question is, does the league discipline this?

When I first heard he was hit in the head by a team mates stick...I assumed it was while Ballard was making a wild swinging play at a puck...but if he hit him while swinging his stick out of frustration...that's just stupid (as has been noted).

I'm sure he feels awful, and like an ass...but...I doubt there is any place for League discipline.

To me that's worse than trying to hit someone on purpose. Both disgusting acts, but this just has a lot more recklessness going for it. Send him to go play with twats like Boulerice.

I think he'll get suspended, teams can suspend their own players (ie. avery on the stars) and will get fined... seriously stupid move.

I agree that it is a team issue in this case...not up to the League.

Not sure if the NHL can do anything as they are team mates but I sure would like to see the Panthers suspend the moron for the year without pay.

How could he not see his own goalie in THAT position.

You would think after he sees what he has done he would go to his knees to help vs whacking his stick again!!!

Good to see morons are everywhere including the NHL. :(

Swings, hits him, looks down, swings again to complete his mission and then skates off.

What a grade A moron.

"Trainers tended to Vokoun on the ice and he was taken to an Atlanta hospital to be treated for a deep cut to his ear. He was alert and responsive on his way to the hospital."

"Trainers tended to Vokoun on the ice and he was taken to an Atlanta hospital to be treated for a deep cut to his ear. He was alert and responsive on his way to the hospital."

Good to hear...but it doesn't make Ballard's actions any less stupid.

as the high sticking rule would not apply here..

could the referee's not assessed unsportsman like conduct?

could the NHL not suspend based on acts that are detrimental to the league?

I'll gladly be the a**hole of the thread...Ballard should be penalized by the league in some fashion based on the following:

Rule 60 - High-sticking

60.1 High-sticking - A “high stick” is one which is carried above the height of the opponent’s shoulders. Players and goalkeepers must be in control and responsible for their stick. However, a player or goalkeeper is permitted accidental contact on an opponent if the act is committed as a normal windup or follow through of a shooting motion. A wild swing at a bouncing puck would not be considered a normal windup or follow through and any contact to an opponent above the height of the shoulders shall be penalized accordingly.

The catch here is the first sentence where it states "above the height of the opponent’s shoulders."

My problem with what happened tonight is that this action (breaking a stick over the net), and taking the puck out of the net and flinging it down the ice, amongst others, has become the norm for players in the NHL and they should be penalized for it (a 10 minute misconduct should be the minimum). What happened tonight with Vokoun being injured certainly isn't the norm (I think we're all appalled in some way), but, had the injury not occurred, how is this tolerable by any stretch of the imagination?

Since an injury diid occur, you can bet that the league will take action. I'd be very surprised if they just turned their head on this one.

I agree with this. Players shouldn't be breaking their sticks on the net full stop in my opinion.

That sort of thing isn't tolerated in the leagues I've played in and don't see why it should be tolerated in the NHL.

I'll gladly be the a**hole of the thread...Ballard should be penalized by the league in some fashion based on the following:

Rule 60 - High-sticking

60.1 High-sticking - A “high stick” is one which is carried above the height of the opponent’s shoulders. Players and goalkeepers must be in control and responsible for their stick. However, a player or goalkeeper is permitted accidental contact on an opponent if the act is committed as a normal windup or follow through of a shooting motion. A wild swing at a bouncing puck would not be considered a normal windup or follow through and any contact to an opponent above the height of the shoulders shall be penalized accordingly.

The catch here is the first sentence where it states "above the height of the opponent’s shoulders."

My problem with what happened tonight is that this action (breaking a stick over the net), and taking the puck out of the net and flinging it down the ice, amongst others, has become the norm for players in the NHL and they should be penalized for it (a 10 minute misconduct should be the minimum). What happened tonight with Vokoun being injured certainly isn't the norm (I think we're all appalled in some way), but, had the injury not occurred, how is this tolerable by any stretch of the imagination?

Since an injury diid occur, you can bet that the league will take action. I'd be very surprised if they just turned their head on this one.

High-sticking penalty doesnt apply. Vokoun isnt an opponent.

I have no problem with the NHL handing out tens for unsportsmanlike conduct when someone does that, probably not a bad idea. If they do something it will be via the "avery exception" for conduct detrimental to the league. Nothing really covers the act but it put the league in a bad light, so he gets to sit for a few games.

I think the NHL should throw the book at this guy. This is the exact type of shenanigans that the league doesn't need. As SubliTWILL pointed out, this is the perfect time for the NHL to crack down on chuckleheads breaking their sticks against the net or glass.

what i dont understand is that im pretty sure he realized that he hit him - but then he just skated away

if it was me i would have been saying sorry over and over again - and then checking to make sure he was ok