Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tour Man

Easton S19 helmet

I doubt you can measure the helmets protection by hitting it with your hand.....

What?! You mean all these years thousands of parents buying helmets for their kids have been testing them the wrong way! Well if you can't trust the hand smack how else are you going to know if it's safe? I wonder if a stick whack would be more appropriate....

Side bar here - when the 8000's first came out I had a buddy who was moving away so we both went and got one (coincidentally we both needed helmets). My buddy puts his on, turns to look at his dad so he can see how it looks and his dad gives him a full on headbutt almost knocking him over before proclaiming that he didn't think it was very protective. They were a very quiet and proper Korean family and I almost killed myself laughing in the store.

Has anyone figured out a safe way to screw in a visor WITHOUT stripping the bolts clean out the side of the helmet? =P

What is the reason why they are stripping? Is the visor putting torque on the screw?

Has anyone figured out a safe way to screw in a visor WITHOUT stripping the bolts clean out the side of the helmet? =P

Carefully?

Just don't go nuts on it, make sure it locks in and turn slowly.

UPDATE - I'm going with the M. It feels better than the L.

I really can't wait for this helmet to come out. I'm not quite sure why, if the product is ready, they don't just make it available sooner? I guess I'm not marketing-savy.

My dad said he will definately buy 2 helmets for me and him for my first full season of beer league. I had a dream about owning an s19 helmet lol! Guess thats what happens when you think about it enough.

I really can't wait for this helmet to come out. I'm not quite sure why, if the product is ready, they don't just make it available sooner? I guess I'm not marketing-savy.

My dad said he will definately buy 2 helmets for me and him for my first full season of beer league. I had a dream about owning an s19 helmet lol! Guess thats what happens when you think about it enough.

A tad extreme, but I know what you mean. One of the LHSs has the exact colour and size I want on display and I can't buy it. I keep trying it on whenever I am in there. Lol

I think it's funny that guys like Zach Parise and Dany Heatley had titles above their names of "Easton Hockey" and not the teams they play for.

That may have to do with licensing.

I took a pretty decent hit yesterday in my beer league, and the helmet did its job. It didnt hurt at all. The hit would not have given me a concussion but the thin padding seemed to work just fine.

I put a visor on one of these helmets for a ref yesterday. He was pretty pumped about his new helmet but couldn't get the visor on himself. It took awhile but I used the big spacers that he brought with and finally got it mounted.

I had no idea that the helmet was so light! I don't need a new helmet...but now I just might have to get one.

I took a pretty decent hit yesterday in my beer league, and the helmet did its job. It didnt hurt at all. The hit would not have given me a concussion but the thin padding seemed to work just fine.

What part of the helmet got hit? What did you run into?

This is the kind of stuff I want to hear about - first hand testimonies on impacts.

I think it is pretty funny that they showed a short shot of Brent Burns..............after coming back from Post Concussion Sydrome he switched to the M11!

For those who have skated with the helmet, does it feel like nothings on? Do u feel a little more manuverable or lighter in general?

For those who have skated with the helmet, does it feel like nothings on? Do u feel a little more manuverable or lighter in general?

Yeah, pretty much. It isn't noticeable at all.

The new Easton S19 helmet is light, but I'm not sure it's any better in terms of protection. In Easton's marketing they state the following:

"The S19 Z-Shock offers impact absorption results found to exceed the minimum protection requirements of all three governing safety bodies by as much as 40%".

What that really means is that the S19 scored somewhere around 180g on the impact machine, which is about twice the energy required to cause a concussion.

Sounds a lot better when they say it, eh?

In terms of the looks, I don't like it. It's too squat and, combined with the vent holes, makes it look like the old Nike helmet - you know the one that ONLY Mario Lemeuix wore because he got paid to. Combine that with the very high price and I will stick with my CCM Vector V-10. Best looking helmet on the market and the lowest priced, high-end helmet around.

Easton is a great marketing company, but their hype is always much better than their products.

The new Easton S19 helmet is light, but I'm not sure it's any better in terms of protection. In Easton's marketing they state the following:

"The S19 Z-Shock offers impact absorption results found to exceed the minimum protection requirements of all three governing safety bodies by as much as 40%".

What that really means is that the S19 scored somewhere around 180g on the impact machine, which is about twice the energy required to cause a concussion.

In terms of the looks, I don't like it. It's too squat and, combined with the vent holes, makes it look like the old Nike helmet - you know the one that ONLY Mario Lemeuix wore because he got paid to. Combine that with the very high price and I will stick with my CCM Vector V-10. Best looking helmet on the market and the lowest priced, high-end helmet around.

Easton is a great marketing company, but their hype is always much better than their products.

Hey now, I'm pretty sure Theo Fleury wore that helmet too. Let's not leave people out here.

What part of the helmet got hit? What did you run into?

This is the kind of stuff I want to hear about - first hand testimonies on impacts.

I took a stick to the very front of the head right above my cage. Right on the E logo. Barely felt it. Oh and no call on the play.

I also had some dude elbow me in the back of the head. At least i think it was his elbow, i couldn't really tell as it was behind me.

This is a very small sample size but i was impressed by how comfortable it was to get hit in the head. Better then the s17 i think.

You joined in 2007 but only have 1 post?

I read your post over like 5 times and I don't understand your point. So the helmet scored around 180g, which you say is "about twice the energy required to cause a concussion." So how does that compare to other helmets? Your throwing out a lot of mumbo-jumbo that doesn't have any reference point, so it doesn't really say anything.

I won't comment on your comments about aesthetics, because that's 100% opinion. I will say this though: I think the S19 is one of the best looking helmets out there - IMO.