Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Boostinmister2

Hockey stick length

Just wondering what length everyone is cutting their sticks to. I used to have it around my Mouth on skates and just recently cut it down right under my chin on skates after watching that Howie video but I'm having trouble getting used to it. I know it's more personal preference, but I want to see what everyone cuts it to.

Anyone have any idea where Ovechkin and Datsyuk cut theirs to?

I did the same thing with the Howie video...I have one stick cut 2" below the chin and another at the chin and swap them depending on how I feel that day. With the short stick, you want your hands closer together, that's about all I've got. I notice my passing and stick handling improves but shooting suffers with the shorter stick.

I know Datsyuk uses a pretty long stick, not sure about Ovechkin. I have mine cut to right below my nose on skates, which is about 58.5". I've played around with longer and shorter, and that seems to be a happy medium for me. Too long and I feel like the puck's too far away. Too short and I just can't do anything.

Mine is between my nose and chin so I need to add an end plug to all my sticks. Tried a short stick once like 10 years ago and hated it.

I realize this will be closed soon, but has there ever been a poll about this? I think it might be interesting, if nothing else.

I've tried searching, I can't find anything on this forum. It just takes me to random Threads. If someone could point me the way to the poll or thread that discusses this, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

I checked out that site before, which made me cut my stick, but I feel I made a big mistake. It also seems like half of those pictures aren't legit as in, the stick isn't really sitting straight up but leaned or they're on sitting on the boards or in the box.

I've tried searching, I can't find anything on this forum. It just takes me to random Threads. If someone could point me the way to the poll or thread that discusses this, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

I checked out that site before, which made me cut my stick, but I feel I made a big mistake. It also seems like half of those pictures aren't legit as in, the stick isn't really sitting straight up but leaned or they're on sitting on the boards or in the box.

Search by titles , it helps you find the entire thread you're looking for.

Anyway, while it's true that a lot of guys have done great things with sticks that are shorter than the rule of thumb, but theres still plenty of guys on the opposite end of the spectrum. For one, Marian Hossa uses a 64" stick, things probably taller than he is when he's not on skates, and he seems to be doing okay with it.

Search term: "length"

All forums

Titles only

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index...hlite=%2Blength

The majority of them are stick length questions.

For one, Marian Hossa uses a 64" stick, things probably taller than he is when he's not on skates, and he seems to be doing okay with it.

Interesting. The legal limit for the NHL in terms of length for a stick is 63". As for it being taller than him 64" = 5ft4".

Rule 10 - Sticks 10.1 Player’s Stick

No stick shall exceed sixty-three inches (63") in length from the heel to the end of the shaft nor more than twelve and one-half inches (121/2") from the heel to the end of the blade.

Requests for an exception to the length of the shaft (only) may be submitted in writing to and must be approved by the League’s Hockey Operations Department prior to any such stick being approved for use. Maximum length of a stick granted an exception under this rule is sixty-five inches (65”).

The only 5 players I know that would NEED an exception are Derek Boogaard, Zdeno Chara, Hal Gill, Boris Valabik, and Myers guy from Buffalo.

As for me, my shafts from heel to butt end are 55-57" and come up to my collarbone when in skates.

Hall Gill definitely - I jsut ordered some pro stock RM19s of his and they are 63.5" i think - best get my hacksaw out!

For one, Marian Hossa uses a 64" stick, things probably taller than he is when he's not on skates, and he seems to be doing okay with it.

Interesting. The legal limit for the NHL in terms of length for a stick is 63". As for it being taller than him 64" = 5ft4".

Rule 10 - Sticks 10.1 Player’s Stick

No stick shall exceed sixty-three inches (63") in length from the heel to the end of the shaft nor more than twelve and one-half inches (121/2") from the heel to the end of the blade.

Requests for an exception to the length of the shaft (only) may be submitted in writing to and must be approved by the League’s Hockey Operations Department prior to any such stick being approved for use. Maximum length of a stick granted an exception under this rule is sixty-five inches (65”).

The only 5 players I know that would NEED an exception are Derek Boogaard, Zdeno Chara, Hal Gill, Boris Valabik, and Myers guy from Buffalo.

As for me, my shafts from heel to butt end are 55-57" and come up to my collarbone when in skates.

I was exaggerating about it being taller than him, but he's the same height I am, (6'1") and I use a 58.5" stick, comes just below my chin on shoes. a 64"would come up nearly to my eyes, and probably the same for him (thats with the added height of the blade, which doesn't technically count). And granted, my source for the length is a guy on PHEW who got his hands on Hossas pro stocks, I don't know if he measured them properly or not, but I do know they are very tall.

Besides that, with plenty of guys playing with illegal curves, whats to say Hossa's stick is outside the rules too? It's not like the refs run a tape measure across the stick rack before a game.

i have a antropov stick which measure's 59" (he's 6' 6") now i dunno if automorph cut it though, you just gotta experiment and see what works

i'm 6' and i use 57"-58" depending on the lie usually comes to just under my chin

my source for the length is a guy on PHEW who got his hands on Hossas pro stocks, I don't know if he measured them properly or not, but I do know they are very tall.

if we're measuring butt end to heel I get 60" on my uncut Hossa's. I'm guessing whoever you talked to did butt to the bottom of the toe

my source for the length is a guy on PHEW who got his hands on Hossas pro stocks, I don't know if he measured them properly or not, but I do know they are very tall.

if we're measuring butt end to heel I get 60" on my uncut Hossa's. I'm guessing whoever you talked to did butt to the bottom of the toe

1014_mid.jpg

Sorry to bump an old thread, but Kane also uses a pretty long stick. Maybe just above his chin standing on skates. Datsyuk's is almost up to his nose in skates.

I'm pretty lucky, I seem to be the perfect height for my preferred stick length. I rarely cut a stick.

I did take the end plug out of a OPS before, just to see if my stick handling was better. Marginally, but I couldn't shoot worth shit. And since that's about all I do, I figured hell with the short stick.

Most sticks come up to my chin. Between my chin and mouth is fine. Haven't used anything longer, don't like it shorter.

For the longest time, tried a short stick (around the Adam's apple) but couldn't shoot with any consistency.

Tried a longer stick and the difference in shooting is 180 degrees. The stickhandling has suffered a bit but I would rather be able to shoot and only perform minimal dekes rather than perform Fancy Dan moves only to have a shot where the goalie will collect Social Security before it reaches him.