Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Boostinmister2

Hockey stick length

The shaft appears to be the exact same thickness as a senior. I compared them in the store. The stick would be perfect if they had a Draper clone blade. But the Lecacalier is close and the Ovi is interesting.

So ccm doesn't have a stick with an intermediate raidus now. They could have made it an inch longer and called it a sr mid flex like rbk does and then do an intermediate light flex(65)

My coach always tell us we should cut the stick just at the V of the jersey:( no one does it, he also says what ever hand is on the top of the stick thats what hand you should shoot

My coach always tell us we should cut the stick just at the V of the jersey:( no one does it, he also says what ever hand is on the top of the stick thats what hand you should shoot

You coach doesn't seem very bright.

I hope he's better at fundamentals.

I rarely cut down a stick. Typically now I actually add a 2 inch wood plug to the stick, but I play D and like a bit of a longer stick. I should measure tonight though, I can't actually tell you where they come to when I have my skates on.

My brother's spring coach actually has the shortest stick I've ever seen. He's 6'3'' and on the ice his stick doesn't come up much higher then his nipples. It's the weirdest thing.

I rarely cut down a stick. Typically now I actually add a 2 inch wood plug to the stick, but I play D and like a bit of a longer stick. I should measure tonight though, I can't actually tell you where they come to when I have my skates on.

My brother's spring coach actually has the shortest stick I've ever seen. He's 6'3'' and on the ice his stick doesn't come up much higher then his nipples. It's the weirdest thing.

Geez, I get "That's a really short stick" a good amount because when I hold my stick with both hands just below my waist, my hands are on the knob and on the hosel of the blade... His stick, much shorter than mine.

I know a guy that is SICK that has a stick about that short, he's my height and his stick is at least 5" shorter than mine.

It's hard for me to even consider using a really short stick, because 2 of my best skills are poke-check steals and blasting one-timers, which would be negatively impacted by such a change. Basically, whatever you feel comfortable with and suits your game is best. One thing I'd like to see is manufacturer's offering sticks at different lengths, but I really doubt that'll happen.

I keep it pretty simple. All of my sticks I cut to my top lip while standing in shoes. Play mostly offense.

+1, same length here. Whenever talking to others about stick length and comparing on and off ice, make sure you look forward and level. Many I check with like to look up for some reason, saying it comes up to their chin (while looking up) when it really goes up to something like the bridge of their nose.

+1, same length here. Whenever talking to others about stick length and comparing on and off ice, make sure you look forward and level. Many I check with like to look up for some reason, saying it comes up to their chin (while looking up) when it really goes up to something like the bridge of their nose.

same here, for me i prefer mine a slightly longer. will cut to ard my nose height without skates. used to have longer stickes but compromise on stick handling comfort as your shoulder has got to be higher to keep the blade flat on the ice. on the plus side, poke check is much easier as the stick is longer and slap shots are WHAO!

but then its really individual preference, just cut the stick to the length u play best... thats all... all it matters is that you either put the puck in the net or prevent the puck from going in.

The 1.5-2" difference from a stick going to about my mid nose barefoot compared to my upper lip is huge stick-handling wise, and takes just a little zip off my shot. However, I can adjust to the length after 2-3 uses so my stick handling is ok and my shot is still great.

Since it looks like we're keeping this thread.. Barefoot stick is about 3" under my chin.

Barefoot mine touches the bottom of my chin (I'm 6'3" and play forward).

I can't give up the shooting power I get from the longer stick. I enjoy being called a sniper every now and then, even if they're only kidding, haha. But my shots are actually getting pretty respectable, so I'm not even thinking of changing anything.

The lie is more important than the length or at least it comes first.

I have slightly different lies, one of them have the same length.

For example i had a 4 and 6 of the same length one felt much shorter on the ice <_<

But in my book, you need to find the correct lie before the correct length.

But in my book, you need to find the correct lie before the correct length.

I think lie is one aspect of buying a stick that many people fail to take into consideration. I know I never have but haven't had any problems either. That said I'm always curious to whether or not I could be using something different that would make my game/shot/stickhandling better.

See I'm odd in that I like an average length stick (bottom of nose in bare feet) but 6 lie...mostly because I really cup that puck when shooting and stickhandling.

See I'm odd in that I like an average length stick (bottom of nose in bare feet) but 6 lie...mostly because I really cup that puck when shooting and stickhandling.

^ hehe me too, i cut my stick depending on lie coz i use anything around 5.5 - 7 definitely prefer a 6 though

I can't give up the shooting power I get from the longer stick. I enjoy being called a sniper every now and then, even if they're only kidding, haha. But my shots are actually getting pretty respectable, so I'm not even thinking of changing anything.

totally agree with you... i regretted cutting my stick 2inches shorter.... shots were greatly affected :( shouldn't give up the shooting power for stick handle....

totally agree with you... i regretted cutting my stick 2inches shorter.... shots were greatly affected :( shouldn't give up the shooting power for stick handle....

shooting power comes back. either in changing your technique ever so slightly, ie putting your hands closer together, or getting a slightly whippier stick.

people seriously underestimate the effect of flex on shooting potential, just as much as they underestimate the importance of lie. when buying a stick you have to consider how much stiffer the stick will be when you cut it down, and always expect to cut down a stick.

Try to be lower.

When i see guy like heatley or kovalchuk (~1.90m) they have a tiny stick compared to their heigth but very powerful shot and amazing stickhandling.. the thing is that they play extremely low, they look bent in half when they skate with the puck.

Actually when you fire the lower you are when you shoot the better, your "strong" hand is lower on your shaft then you can really use the low-kick point of those fancy ops B)

Im getting back to trying to play here and there so im new to these Composite OPS's.. 16 years ago i could get a stick for $20.00 B) I assume it's ok to cut these OPS stick's right?

clearly before the ops democratization never spent more than 30euros in the wood stick, the fancy stick were those easton (cyclon,..) shafts (45-75 euros) and finally the top of the pop one piece busch very rare, very hard to get most expansive, most advanced (~100euros) one of my trainers had one.

sure you can cut but the stiffness of the shaft will increase quite quickly

shooting power comes back. either in changing your technique ever so slightly, ie putting your hands closer together, or getting a slightly whippier stick.

That's exactly what I found out. I feel like a shorter stick also promotes better knee bend. At least for me it does.