Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AndrewChang

Wood Knob on the AK-27?

So it seems like the AK-27 is a pretty popular shaft out here, and when I finally decided to take a closer look at my LHS, I was shocked! Each shaft came with wood knobs painted black. Seriously? When all the other modern high end shafts and one-piece sticks seem to lack any sort of wood knob, why does the AK-27 have one? Is it for balance or something?

i'd have rathered mine be full length composite, but i dont understand the "shock". it's not that big of a deal.

easton had wood plugs forever, though, didnt they?

A wood knob gives you the opportunity to shave the grip to make it smaller. Some guys prefer the feel of a small grip and you can't shave the composite shaft like a wooden end plug.

not a big deal... its a knob. it wont change the perfomance of the stick at all. if anything a heavier butt end will make the stick feel less blade heavy... theres no kickpoint or flex points that high up in the shaft either.

Why is this so shocking? It has a wood plug that most people take out since their not Chara.

I have hard time believe that anyone over 5-8 would take the plug out. Most shafts are waaaaay too short w/o the plug for most of us IMO

i'd have rathered mine be full length composite, but i dont understand the "shock". it's not that big of a deal.

easton had wood plugs forever, though, didnt they?

Well, it's just that I've had bad experiences with wood plugs on my old Easton Synergy (original silver) and Louisville Response (original yellow) one-piece sticks. Even after removing the plugs, adding glue and tape for a tight fit, they would always come loose. In a modern, popular shaft, I just did not expect to see that. Especially compared to the Easton and Nike/Bauer products.

A wood knob gives you the opportunity to shave the grip to make it smaller. Some guys prefer the feel of a small grip and you can't shave the composite shaft like a wooden end plug.

Wouldn't that be the minority of people?

it's also cheaper to produce :P

My initial thought...

not a big deal... its a knob. it wont change the perfomance of the stick at all. if anything a heavier butt end will make the stick feel less blade heavy... theres no kickpoint or flex points that high up in the shaft either.

Performance wise, are you sure? There must be a reason why most sticks don't have wood knobs. I mean, you don't see them in the NHL...

I dunno, the AK-27 / blade combo seems popular, maybe I just need to experience it myself.

Performance wise, are you sure? There must be a reason why most sticks don't have wood knobs. I mean, you don't see them in the NHL...

I dunno, the AK-27 / blade combo seems popular, maybe I just need to experience it myself.

How wrong you are. You don't see them in the NHL because you can't see through tape.

You don't see them in the NHL due to the fact that they are able to order and use custom length sticks minus the wood plug.

Myself, I am always addind a wood plug to my OPS due to the fact that I am 6'3" and standard length is just too short for my liking. I don't notice any performance difference, just a couple extra grams of weight

Wood plugs not only balance out the stick like someone mentioned earlier, they also dampen impact thus making puck feel better (although that's personal preference).

I forgot who it was but I think someone on this board said he inserts a wood tenon at the end of a cut composite stick.

And I think most major stick manufacturers other than Bauer and Sherwood puts wood plugs on their retail sticks...??

(Correct me if I'm wrong there...Easton, TPS, Warrior,...what else?)

Jovo is known to use the same wooden knob for a ridiculous amount of time. If you ever get one of his game used sticks I can assure you the knob won't be with it. He's a freak about it.

The shaft is 51"+the plug, right? Not 48"+ the plug?

48" + the plug

For the SR model???

Yes

Wood plugs not only balance out the stick like someone mentioned earlier, they also dampen impact thus making puck feel better (although that's personal preference).

I forgot who it was but I think someone on this board said he inserts a wood tenon at the end of a cut composite stick.

And I think most major stick manufacturers other than Bauer and Sherwood puts wood plugs on their retail sticks...??

Manufactures stopped putting wooden plugs in sticks a few years ago. Some shafts still have them though

I got this for Christmas and it came with the wood plug in it. I am 5"11 and didn't have to shave it down at all because it fit me perfectly (at the chin for me). I like having plugs in anyway as preference as it provides me with more feel in my opinion.

You don't see them in the NHL due to the fact that they are able to order and use custom length sticks minus the wood plug.

Wrong. Very few players get custom length sticks, Bauer does do 63" long sticks but regardless... a LOT of NHL players cut their sticks down to add a wood plug.

I prefer to do the same thing, it adds some feel for the puck. A 3" ash plug made the X:60 a lot better than it was stock.

How wrong you are. You don't see them in the NHL because you can't see through tape.

Haha, good point!

actually alot of nhl players use wood plugs..its a balance/ feel thing.
Yeah I 2nd the comment about alot of NHL players using wood plugs to balance out their sticks.

I've seen Lindstrom use it, to name an example.

Ahhh, I see.

As if there are 2 pages about this.

Huh?

Wrong. Very few players get custom length sticks, Bauer does do 63" long sticks but regardless... a LOT of NHL players cut their sticks down to add a wood plug.

I prefer to do the same thing, it adds some feel for the puck. A 3" ash plug made the X:60 a lot better than it was stock.

Alright, so wood plugs are used in the NHL, and they do offer improved balance and puck feel. I'm sold, guess I'll try the AK-27 with an Easton ST blade. I swear though, if I ever have any prolems with that damn knob, you people won't hear the end of it!

I've no doubts about that.

Until a company offers a wheelbarrowed handle I'll keep doing a Bruce Driver number on my extensions.