Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

furlanitalia

Winter Classic 5

You guys are all forgetting that the biggest and best outdoor hockey game is going to happen in December in Ann Arbor. Honestly, I know it's mostly a regional thing, but I think the game at Michigan Stadium will do more for hockey than the Winter Classic in 2011. Unfortunately it'll be on Big 10 Network so not everyone will get to see it, but I bet the buzz it will generate will get more people watching hockey than Sid-Ovi

I think it would be great as well. It will most likely be a much better game than the winter classic.

But unfortunately the people the NHL wants to attract have no idea that either school plays hockey.

My only concern is the location.

I get that the NHL wants a ratings getter, so the Pens/Caps makes sense. I don't even care that it's in Pittsburgh

But why heinz field when the NFL season is not over yet? The first winter classic they only had (or took) 6 days to build the actual surface on the arena, and it led to a lot of delays to fill in divots and chips in the ice.

In Chicago, they took 2 weeks, and had little problems.

Now, they are going to go to a football stadium that was used the week before, and throw down the rink in 5 or 6 days, and hope it will hold up better than the last time they did it?

The Pirates have a great stadium that is sitting empty (I know it's not a "classic" stadium, but neither is heinz since they tore down 3 rivers in the recent past)

It just doesn't make sense from that end.

People will complain about the Pens getting it again so soon, and I may have in this tread already!!!!, but it's about the ratings. New York fans probably have the biggest gripe in that respect.

Will it still be a showcase highlight if Crosby Backstrom and the likes bust a groin because they had to hurry the ice

My only concern is the location.

I get that the NHL wants a ratings getter, so the Pens/Caps makes sense. I don't even care that it's in Pittsburgh

But why heinz field when the NFL season is not over yet? The first winter classic they only had (or took) 6 days to build the actual surface on the arena, and it led to a lot of delays to fill in divots and chips in the ice.

In Chicago, they took 2 weeks, and had little problems.

Now, they are going to go to a football stadium that was used the week before, and throw down the rink in 5 or 6 days, and hope it will hold up better than the last time they did it?

The Pirates have a great stadium that is sitting empty (I know it's not a "classic" stadium, but neither is heinz since they tore down 3 rivers in the recent past)

It just doesn't make sense from that end.

People will complain about the Pens getting it again so soon, and I may have in this tread already!!!!, but it's about the ratings. New York fans probably have the biggest gripe in that respect.

Will it still be a showcase highlight if Crosby Backstrom and the likes bust a groin because they had to hurry the ice

I was made that its not going to be in New York but then I realized that its not going to happen in NY until 2014 the earliest... lets face it, theres no way they're going to have a Winter Classic and not have it be played in Yankee stadium. I do think it is a bit ridiculous that the 4th "Winter Classic" game will be Pittsburgh's 2nd one... The league has to realize that they have more big name players than Crosby and Ovechkin and the only way to put those names out there is to market them and put them in games like this.

i thought i heard that the penguins were doing away with the baby blue 3rd jerseys this year - maybe they debut new jerseys at the winter classic? i wouldnt be surprised.

My bet would be a dark blue Caps jersey with the Weagle on it. Pens prolly the old school white and yellow.

i thought i heard that the penguins were doing away with the baby blue 3rd jerseys this year - maybe they debut new jerseys at the winter classic? i wouldnt be surprised.

Huge mistake that the Penguins are in the Winter Classic again. It's about the TV ratings and it's obviously about Crosby.

Two games is also too much. I don't understand Montreal vs Calgary matchup.

I don't understand Montreal vs Calgary matchup.

Calgary has been lobbying for a game for the last couple years and Montreal is the best potential opponent from Canada. The second game will always be between two Canadian teams.

Oilers would have been too obvious? Is there going to be two games every year?

The Oilers sucked this year. Montreal is better and brings a larger audience than Edmonton would have. And yes, last I heard there will be a US game and a Canadian game every year.

Huge mistake that the Penguins are in the Winter Classic again. It's about the TV ratings and it's obviously about Crosby.

Leaves a blatantly obvious question that no one at head quarters prepared for: Who plays in 2012? They won't have the foresight to showcase talents in the year and a half, so they'll probably just put Ovechkin right back in it for some name recognition and a high profile player.

Two games is also too much. I don't understand Montreal vs Calgary matchup.

You don't say why it's a mistake. It's about ratings and money, Sid and Malkin vs. Backstom and AO is the best the NHL has.

You don't say why it's a mistake. It's about ratings and money, Sid and Malkin vs. Backstom and AO is the best the NHL has.

Using the same team in a short period of time. It ruins the event. I've seen enough Penguins and Crosby.

I really hope they show the Canadian "winter classic" in America. Probably not on NBC but at least on Versus or something.

As far as location is concerned, I'm sure they preferred PNC park but I think that park only sits 38,000.

I've loved the event so far but I might not watch the game out of sheer principal. It's not fair for NHL fans to constantly have Sidney Crosby shoved down their throats. I was watching "around the horn" on ESPN and one of the writers said this was a bad final because "no Crosby, no Ovechkin, no NHL stars". No stars? I'd say Toews, Kane, Carter, Richards and Pronger are some of the great stars in the NHL. The NHL needs to stop pandering to these people who know nothing about hockey.

The NHL's ratings wont go down if they use the Caps v. any other team. Casual fans already know of Ovechkin and Crosby. As long as one big star is in the game, enough people will watch it so that you can market the other team. Dont you think it would be nice to market some other stars? Maybe show off Stamkos or Tavares or Parise to casual fans?

The NHL would make more fans by marketing a guy like Parise instead of Crosby. Crosby's fan are maxed out. So are Ovechkin's. Have Ovechkin draw the fans to watch, have Parise draw the fans to continue watching. So that is my justification for this being a mistake, Trooper. Over time, they will make more money. Maybe not in the one day event, but long term, they need to make more fans.

According to Bettman's press conference today, the Winter Classic will be airing on VS. I believe I heard that right. Said Network affiliates were VS and CBC.

Edit: I'd also like to comment that the Ovechkin/Crosby matchup being used as a cop-out on the leagues part is even more reinforced by stats that said ratings across the board for this playoffs are the highest they've been in several years... he mentioned a few rounds even being most viewed since 1994/1995.

I really hope they show the Canadian "winter classic" in America. Probably not on NBC but at least on Versus or something.

As far as location is concerned, I'm sure they preferred PNC park but I think that park only sits 38,000.

I've loved the event so far but I might not watch the game out of sheer principal. It's not fair for NHL fans to constantly have Sidney Crosby shoved down their throats. I was watching "around the horn" on ESPN and one of the writers said this was a bad final because "no Crosby, no Ovechkin, no NHL stars". No stars? I'd say Toews, Kane, Carter, Richards and Pronger are some of the great stars in the NHL. The NHL needs to stop pandering to these people who know nothing about hockey.

According to Bettman's press conference today, the Winter Classic will be airing on VS. I believe I heard that right. Said Network affiliates were VS and CBC.

Edit: I'd also like to comment that the Ovechkin/Crosby matchup being used as a cop-out on the leagues part is even more reinforced by stats that said ratings across the board for this playoffs are the highest they've been in several years... he mentioned a few rounds even being most viewed since 1994/1995.

I think he said the Winter Classic will be NBC and the Heritage Classic will be CBC and VS.

I would have rather them waited and done Flyers/ Penguins at Beaver Stadium. That would have been great.

this is ridiculous, i cannot believe that the penguins are playing in the classic again. why market crosby again in the winter classic? he already scored the game winner in overtime (really convenient for the nhl). do they think that using the sid ovi matchup it will boost their ratings that much? its not going to overtake football or basketball or baseball ever in the US, lets face it. give the real nhl fans a new matchup rather than make us watch the same teams every other year, he said washington would get one in their home venue in a couple of years. this just makes me livid.

Twice in four years.. Doesn't principle take prevalence over ratings? I get that it's still a business and they want to make money and get viewers watching, but honestly, there is still going to be a lot of people watching! Just because a game doesn't have Crosby or Ovechkin doesn't make it any less interesting.

So sick of Crosby being plastered on my tv. There's a lot of other great players that I'd like to see more of.

I'd also like to point out, I didn't catch it in the first run of that press conference but I ahve it on again getting ready for work and I heard Bettman just say that they will have another outdoor game in Washington in the next 2-3 years. Sounds like Washington will be repeating as well.