Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

furlanitalia

Winter Classic 5

wtf. giving it to pit again(wings are a bigger draw than pit). i thought every team was going to get a chance before a team could return. and bettmen is going to kill this great game by having 2 in one year.

How do you know they are a bigger draw? Who told you every team would be given a chance?

wtf. giving it to pit again(wings are a bigger draw than pit). i thought every team was going to get a chance before a team could return. and bettmen is going to kill this great game by having 2 in one year.

Every team would get a chance? Wow. So that would be at least 15 yrs in between teams. Like I said before the conference finals losers should be in the WinterClassic with 8-10 northern venues (unless the NHL can make good ice happen in Nashville/Carolina/SJ/Miami etc for it) picked for it. And you're not allowed to play in it back-to-back. The "home ice" would be determined by the loser of the conference final with the better regular season record.

Starting with the first one 2008: Pittsburgh vs. Buffalo (ralph wilson)

If they chose it the way I would want the teams picked:

The Losers of the 2007 CF would play the 2008 WC: Red Wings vs. Senators (Univ of Michigan Stadium)

The Losers of the 2008 CF would play the 2009 WC: Flyers vs. Stars (Beaver Stadium/Lincoln Field)

The Losers of the 2009 CF would play the 2010 WC: Hurricanes vs. Blackhawks (Wrigley/Soldier Field)

The Losers of the 2010 CF would play the 2011 WC: Sharks vs. Canadiens (where would they play this??)

Every team would get a chance? Wow. So that would be at least 15 yrs in between teams. Like I said before the conference finals losers should be in the WinterClassic with 8-10 northern venues (unless the NHL can make good ice happen in Nashville/Carolina/SJ/Miami etc for it) picked for it. And you're not allowed to play in it back-to-back. The "home ice" would be determined by the loser of the conference final with the better regular season record.

Starting with the first one 2008: Pittsburgh vs. Buffalo (ralph wilson)

If they chose it the way I would want the teams picked:

The Losers of the 2007 CF would play the 2008 WC: Red Wings vs. Senators (Univ of Michigan Stadium)

The Losers of the 2008 CF would play the 2009 WC: Flyers vs. Stars (Beaver Stadium/Lincoln Field)

The Losers of the 2009 CF would play the 2010 WC: Hurricanes vs. Blackhawks (Wrigley/Soldier Field)

The Losers of the 2010 CF would play the 2011 WC: Sharks vs. Canadiens (where would they play this??)

Wings-Sens would actually be pretty nice. Both teams with great history, both are up north, and both have a solid fanbase.

The others look quite interesting too, other than Flyers-Stars...

Yeah, but it's not A-Rod's team, it's Jeter's team.

No one said it was A-Rod's team. He made a reference to LEADING teams to a championship. In 2009, A-Rod pretty much did that in the playoffs. We all know who the king of NY is.

Pittsburgh has been one of the top television markets in the NHL for a long time. That's a big part of the reason they played Buffalo, they were the top two NHL TV markets.

I was personally hoping that the Rangers would play the Capitals/Devils/Islanders/Leafs/Canadiens

But hey Bettman get what he wants, if he can't get the Pens and Caps to meet in the playoffs, gotta take matters into your own hands

But hey Bettman get what he wants, if he can't get the Pens and Caps to meet in the playoffs, gotta take matters into your own hands

This was a fairly decent thread until...

One thing you guys gotta realize for all these dream matchups is that there has to be a venue that is suitable for the game and has owners willing to let their stadium host a game. Take Minnesota for instance (because I really thought they would be involved in the 2011 game). On the surface they have two brand new stadiums that seem like they could work (U of Minn's football stadium and Target Field), but maybe the school or the Twins ownership are unwilling to let their stadiums be transformed into a hockey rink. I also feel like there are issues with using college-only stadiums to play pro games (I realize Pitt plays in Heinz field but it isn't on their campus),especially with alcohol sales and such. So don't expect any Winter Classics at Beaver Stadium or any other college-only stadium.

Natural grass fields could also be an issue, especially for football stadiums that could be in use soon after the hockey game for playoffs and such. I feel like Heinz Field is an exception because they usually have crappy field conditions to being with and the team uses it as an advantage.

I mean it is very convenient that in 2011 it's going to be Sid-Ovi, but it may not have been the first choice. If I remember right there was a lot of talk about it being Rangers-Isles/Devils/somebody in the new Yankee Stadium, but then the stadium got the college bowl game. Maybe the league had to scramble a bit to get the game together. The game we're gonna have is obviously the safe pick.

One thing you guys gotta realize for all these dream matchups is that there has to be a venue that is suitable for the game and has owners willing to let their stadium host a game. Take Minnesota for instance (because I really thought they would be involved in the 2011 game). On the surface they have two brand new stadiums that seem like they could work (U of Minn's football stadium and Target Field), but maybe the school or the Twins ownership are unwilling to let their stadiums be transformed into a hockey rink. I also feel like there are issues with using college-only stadiums to play pro games (I realize Pitt plays in Heinz field but it isn't on their campus),especially with alcohol sales and such. So don't expect any Winter Classics at Beaver Stadium or any other college-only stadium.

The problem with having a game in Minnesota is the wild would have to be included and that makes no sense from a marketing perspective. No stars and a less entertaining style of play, won't help the NHL market the game/league. Beaver stadium doesn't seem like a good idea to me. It's a long drive into the middle of nowhere and anything less than 100k people (sold out) would be a black mark against the game/league.

Having the Pens in again isn't really that horrible. Heck, the NFL still has the Lions play on Thanksgiving (US) and folks still watch football. The NHL is developing a great thing with the annual New Year's Day event and I have no problem with tossing in the face of the league once every two-three years. Ten years from now we might be saying, "Hall and Tavares in the Winter Classic again?!?!?"

Having the Pens in again isn't really that horrible. Heck, the NFL still has the Lions play on Thanksgiving (US) and folks still watch football. The NHL is developing a great thing with the annual New Year's Day event and I have no problem with tossing in the face of the league once every two-three years. Ten years from now we might be saying, "Hall and Tavares in the Winter Classic again?!?!?"

Only if Sid gets hurt and has to retire early

the use of the big house is totally possible. u of mich this spent a ton of money to put in suites and seat with backs on them. mich vs msu has already sold out. and that game is not until dec ( if i remember right). just thing of havin 104,000 plus fans at the game.

the use of the big house is totally possible. u of mich this spent a ton of money to put in suites and seat with backs on them. mich vs msu has already sold out. and that game is not until dec ( if i remember right). just thing of havin 104,000 plus fans at the game.

The big house is hosting an outdoor game in December.

I would still like to see a Philly vs. Pittsburgh Winter Classic at Penn State's Beaver stadium. That place can pack in between 100,000 and 110,000 people and it would be between 2 rivals in the middle of the state. I'm not really arguing against Pit vs. Wash because that's a good rivalry too, but I think Philly vs. Pit would be good. It's also important for other teams to get their first shot at playing in a winter classic before other teams get their 2nd chance.

I would still like to see a Philly vs. Pittsburgh Winter Classic at Penn State's Beaver stadium. That place can pack in between 100,000 and 110,000 people and it would be between 2 rivals in the middle of the state. I'm not really arguing against Pit vs. Wash because that's a good rivalry too, but I think Philly vs. Pit would be good. It's also important for other teams to get their first shot at playing in a winter classic before other teams get their 2nd chance.

1. They would have to give out free tickets to fill the building, or $5 student tickets

2. Virtually no local corporate support

3. The school wants a very large payday to do it, ensuring that the event would almost certainly lose money

Why is Talbot even allowed to talk? Couldn't they find someone better to represent the Pens than this moron?

Why is Talbot even allowed to talk? Couldn't they find someone better to represent the Pens than this moron?

2 goals in game 7 of the Finals for the cup win against Detroit - he can do want he wants in this town - As Bill Guerin quoted - "Thank God for Max Talbot" -

Max is going to have to back it up at some point he will get his ass kicked - let's face it he talks and then gets punched in the face - he never could fight

He said it in an interview on a local Pittsburgh Radio morning show. He gets a good amount of exposure in the local media because of his colorful personality and openness with the media. (It provides something refreshing compared to Crosby's polished and always politically correct answers and comments) Basically said that sometimes you hear things about how a person is outside of the spotlight and they are completely wrong; the person ends up being a good guy. However, he said that this was not the case when Evgeni Malkin introduced him to Ovechkin at the NHL awards ceremony in 2009. He would not go into details about the exchange but said that at the end of it Ovechkin came across as, "a real douche." People are blowing this way out of proportion.

Not that I want the NHL to devolve into the NFL with the stupid comments made and things of that nature, but it is nice to hear guys actually speak now and then. Everyone is so politically correct. I could probably give you almost verbatim answers to any question that is ever asked to Sidney Crosby before he even speaks.

I'm suprised Max hasn't been reprimanded. They shut down Bisonnetts twitter feed for comments of much the same ilk.

It's one thing to say something after a heated game or something happened. This was just Talbot being a douche

It's one thing to say something after a heated game or something happened. This was just Talbot being a douche

+1