Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eugene8080

Glove Palms drying hard - use Tacki Mac?

I have a pair of Bauer XXXX Pro's. My left palm is darkened and dries hard after games. The right glove (my lower hand) does not do this.

What causes my gloves to become stiff? Is it the tape that I use? Would a product like Tacki Mac prevent this?

Your sweat and/or the palm material are the cause. Nash seems to dry out and harden pretty fast. A few drops of water before your game or just simply wear em and they'll be alright.

Shaving cream... leaves the palms nice and soft... plus it smells nice

Ive never tried this but my palms get the same way, I just use them and by the end of warmup they are fine. What I want to know is using the shaving cream method, does it affect the palms at all negatively? as in, less grip, wear them faster, or anything else I may not be thinking of.

tacki mac actually ate through the orginal xxx palm faster than cloth tape with clear tape over did for me. The crustiness is just because it's nash. I don't have a problem with them drying up like that. A little sweat and they're fine. I don't like the original xxx palm beacuse it wears so freakin fast.

tacki mac actually ate through the orginal xxx palm faster than cloth tape with clear tape over did for me. The crustiness is just because it's nash. I don't have a problem with them drying up like that. A little sweat and they're fine. I don't like the original xxx palm beacuse it wears so freakin fast.

Amen, I still have a pair of XXX pros i use for ball hockey, and the palm wears out SUPER fast. It's a shame cause I love the amount of movement you can get with them.

I as well am curious if there are any bad results if you use the shaving cream. Usually I just rub them down with water before warmups.

Your sweat and/or the palm material are the cause. Nash seems to dry out and harden pretty fast.

One of the reasons I hate Nash palms.

One of the reasons I hate Nash palms.

Me too. They simply don't last at all. I've put 3 games into a pair of pro stocks with Ivory Nash palms and they're already half gone. 

Just use them for a few minutes or perhaps spray some water in there before a game.

JUST GET THEM MOIST.

Just use them for a few minutes or perhaps spray some water in there before a game.

JUST GET THEM MOIST.

Putting tap water on them actually speeds up the deterioration.

Putting tap water on them actually speeds up the deterioration.

Oh really. Well it solves the hardness of them >.>

Oh really. Well it solves the hardness of them >.>

It solves it for the moment but each time they dry it gets progressively worse.

The normal tape used on blades that most players also use to tape the top of the stick can release glue or something on to the palms and it really eats through them. The spongy tape feels great and hardly wears palms at all.

I plan on getting msh2 on my xxx's when the palm goes. I find most nash palms have decent durability. The xxx palm is just incredibly thin

Particularly the original XXXs, pre-NBH branding... That's the model you have right?

Durability issues were why they included an extra set of palms. The NBH XXXs didn't have an extra palm but were more durable.

Particularly the original XXXs, pre-NBH branding... That's the model you have right?

Durability issues were why they included an extra set of palms. The NBH XXXs didn't have an extra palm but were more durable.

meant to say original xxx's. I have a pair of both. Debating whether or not to get the ones drew has for sale

for those of you wanting to know about using shaving cream here goes.

use cream (barasol in the red can) and not gel. the cream has lanoline in it and it helps soften the material. put a glob on the palm and rub it in. you should only have to do it a couple of times for the palm to soften up. don't get any inside the glove keep it outside only. i have used shaving cream on baseball gloves (rawlings- heart of the hide) for years and they are in awsome shape. as far as hockey gloves i do them at the beging of the season, once in the middle and finally at the end of the season.

for those of you wanting to know about using shaving cream here goes.

use cream (barasol in the red can) and not gel. the cream has lanoline in it and it helps soften the material. put a glob on the palm and rub it in. you should only have to do it a couple of times for the palm to soften up. don't get any inside the glove keep it outside only. i have used shaving cream on baseball gloves (rawlings- heart of the hide) for years and they are in awsome shape. as far as hockey gloves i do them at the beging of the season, once in the middle and finally at the end of the season.

will this method work for non nash palm gloves?? also, is washing with some detergent the only way to remove the smell from the gloves? are there any other methods?

I have used baking soda on other gear and it works really well. I'm about to try it on a used pair of gloves I just got, however I don't want to use a water / baking soda mix. So I'm either going to just rub the baking soda in dry or use some other liquid that won't dry out the gloves. Unless someone posts that I'm an idiot and they I will try the suggested method.

will this method work for non nash palm gloves?? also, is washing with some detergent the only way to remove the smell from the gloves? are there any other methods?

If you have a dog or a cat at home then you can use carpet cleaners designed for pets that remove stains and odor. It's nothing more than water + enzymes that eat the bacteria that causes the smell in the first place.

Is this stuff essentially Vet-Wrap, or is there something different to it? I've taped the ends of my sticks with vet-wrap in the past, and havent seen any problems with wear on the palms.

Almost but it's a bit more durable. I actually like the Renfrew stuff as they don't get gummy and wear down as easily compared to the powerflex tape.

I have been a Taki Mac devotee for a long time. I was using my V-10's the other day and started to notice that the gloves were breaking down in the palm faster than my old MIssion M-60's. I also realized that I had used only Taki Mac with my V-10's and mostly tape with my old Mission gloves. Oh well, I guess after these sticks break, it is back to tape.

SO after buying some new gloves, I want to know what grip I should buy for my stick to allow my gloves palms to last as long as they can

-tacki-mac

- cloth tape

-renfrew sponge tape

are there other? I remember reading another thread, but can't locate it

thx

SO after buying some new gloves, I want to know what grip I should buy for my stick to allow my gloves palms to last as long as they can

-tacki-mac

- cloth tape

-renfrew sponge tape

are there other? I remember reading another thread, but can't locate it

thx

Any tape(I usually use white cloth) with a layer of clear sock tape over it is the best in my opinon