Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jds

Power Balance Bracelet

So I am in my LHS (which happens from time to time :P ) and I see these Power Balance Bracelets that claim to improve balance and strength just by wearing them. Seems a bit like voodoo but at my age I have been know to sacrifice the odd chicken to gain an edge. I think I recall reading about someone in the NHL swearing by these. Seriously, does anyone know anything about these things? Is it indeed voodoo (which I suspect) or does it work ( keeping in mind that Skype type calling was on Star Trek years ago and we laughed at that). My old bones need an edge and I'm lazy.

I'd assume that these are the same thing as the magnetic bracelets that baseball players wear. I have no experience with them, but my mother has a jewelry shop and she has a catalog from them floating around, I'll try and find it and see what they're all about.

I remember Jason telling me about a similar product at the show a few years ago. Hopefully he can recall all of the details, I'm not sure I can do justice to the story.

I'm holding out hope that these things will finally allow me to purchase peformance since the thousands I have spent on gear isn't working. :rolleyes:

yeah, its a big joke...

but they do have a ton of big names

if you check out their site, they have testimonials from a lot of athletes, teemu selanne from hockey...

and charlie manual (philles bench boss) swears by them... but its a big marketing thing, its going to be another livestrong thing,

powerbalance

yeah, its a big joke...

if you check out their site, they have testimonials from a lot of athletes, teemu selanne from hockey...

and charlie manual (philles bench boss) swears by them... but its a big marketing thing, its going to be another livestrong thing,

powerbalance

Selanne, that's who it was I recall reading about. You want a big joke? Watch me try to touch my freaking toes. I was so hoping I could buy flexibility. Damn it.

yeah, its a big joke...

powerbalance

You know what gets big names? Big money.

Even if they were doing it for free and really believed in them, professional athletes are people too and can be just like anyone else: gullible, goofy, or naive.

I am so taking them off both wrists and ankles. I might keep the one around my...

You know what gets big names? Big money.

Even if they were doing it for free and really believed in them, professional athletes are people too and can be just like anyone else: gullible, goofy, or naive.

Pro athletes are MUCH worse. Not only are most absolutely clueless about gear but pro athletes lead the way in superstitious mumbo jumbo.

Pro athletes are MUCH worse. Not only are most absolutely clueless about gear but pro athletes lead the way in superstitious mumbo jumbo.

Seems like pro athletes are like most when it comes to their gear: Most are clueless, some have a decent idea, and a certain small percentage are very knowledgeable and very picky.

I remember Jason telling me about a similar product at the show a few years ago. Hopefully he can recall all of the details, I'm not sure I can do justice to the story.

It looks like these products are being marketed by different organizations, because I've been using the Sports NRG for Hockey, that were given to me by the distributor in Canada.

I will say this about them: They absolutely work for improving balance, which make them a great placebo while playing.

I was at a show in Toronto in November when Mark County (formerly Salming Canada) brought his buddy by. He had mentioned some product the night before, but I had no idea what it was, so I was surprised when the guy said, "Lift your left left and hold your arms out to the side. Fight against me as push down on your left arm." My arm went down instantly, since there's no balance in that position. He put a business card in my pocket and told me to try again. Instantly, I was stronger. I gave a "What the heck is this????" look. He had me clasp my hands behind my back, then he yanked. I nearly fell over. He put the business card (which had one of the stickers on it) in my pocket and I was nearly able to lift him as he pushed. There was something similar in a pushup position, where I couldn't fight against him without the card, but was able to push him away when the card was placed on the floor beneath me. (He said it has to be within three inches of the body.)

When I asked him how this worked, he said it was similar -- but opposite -- to a cellphone. If I remember correctly, I was on both feet and held my arms out to my side while fighting against his push, but my arm basically collapsed when I held my cellphone against my chest.

We had Gouche try it, and when he was able to hold his arm up in the first trick, he looked around and joked, "Alright, where are the strings?!?!"

I've never written about it because we took video of it, but it's never been posted. As soon as it was, I had planned to create a thread about the stickers, although it looks like they've gotten smart and put the stickers directly on a bracelet. In any event, I'll contact our cameraman to see if he can create a link for us.

Now, regarding the placebo, I've placed one sticker in each skate, as well as one in my shoulder pads and one in my pants. I haven't played a lot in the past six months, but it's probably been 20-25 times. My estimate is I've fallen from lack of balance maybe four times in the that span. That's way less than normal, since I tend to take my curves a bit out of control.

Ok - so you engage in an activity you are unprepared for and fail. The Obvious placement of an object, in this case a card, calls attention to your failure. As a result, you focus to make certain you aren't stymied again. This is a crock, plain and simple. It's all head games.

i have one i use when golfing from a company called trion-z. ive never used it in hockey but with golf i dont feel nearly as fatigued as when i play without it. its been worth every penny in my eyes

Some of these replies can't be serious. Just ridiculously laughable that some people actually believe these things make them feel and perform better.

it is the same "trick" that some quack doctors use to tell you that you need thier special treatment. The only thing bracelets like that do for you is make your wallet lighter.

Here is a link to give some insight

JREF

Ok - so you engage in an activity you are unprepared for and fail. The Obvious placement of an object, in this case a card, calls attention to your failure. As a result, you focus to make certain you aren't stymied again. This is a crock, plain and simple. It's all head games.

That presupposes that I wasn't trying the first time, which wasn't the case.

Yuri sent me the video. It's at www.box.net. Does anyone know how I post it or will everyone have to download it themselves?

They are a placebo.

Come on..................................................................this is how people in the US attain the American Dream!! Placebo!!

I'd assume that these are the same thing as the magnetic bracelets that baseball players wear. I have no experience with them, but my mother has a jewelry shop and she has a catalog from them floating around, I'll try and find it and see what they're all about.

i wear those things the baseball guys do, i did always feel pretty fresh when i was only sleeping 5 hours and commuting an 1 1/2 hours to work and figured i'd be super tired. In reality it's 99.9999 percent placebo so it's really more just a livestrong thing for me, like people that wear the holy cross around their neck :D

What I think some people fail to see, is regardless of placebo effect, it works. If it makes you think you can balance better, and you do, it's a successful product.

I'd give it a whirl if I had $30 to burn.

What I saw in Jason's video was that the guy pushing down was not doing the same thing on both tries, usually he was moving his weight or placing hands differently, and that's kind of what the above testing showed.

Part of me has wanted a sweet necklace because lots of my favorite players wear a necklace when playing. But I don't think it'd have any effect on my game aside from just knowing I've got a sweet necklace on. But I'd rather get a silver chain or something rather than some $2 trinket.

On the other hand,

. Amazing.

If I place two of those holograms correctly in my car, do you think I can make it levitate? I always wanted a flying car on bad traffic days.

Products like these are hardly distinguishable from the junk that is sold in the late night 30 minute infomercials or on the QVC channel. It's interesting how athletes have the same weaknesses and susceptibility to snake oil that the lonely, insomniac retirees have.