Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

flashyprince

Best hockey tape?

Renfrew Black/Gold label, everything else I've used is either too thin, tears too easily, doesn't stick to itself, or you can see right through it if you use only white like me.

edit: never mind i found a picture and what is the difference between the gold label and the blue one?

ps: i do only use white tape

its awful, my friends tried it, looks like it absorb your shot and feels realy wierd, dont waste your money, if it would be acutally innovative and perhaps better than regular tape like you say NHL player would use it because they use every single little thing that could advantage their game

There are a couple NHLers using it, I know Willie Mitchell and Chris Mason off hand.

I get not liking the feel of thicker/thinner/rougher/smoother tape but really a 1/32" thick piece of tape is not going to cause a 6 oz puck to bounce off. It absolutely won't "absorb" your shot. It's just not possible. Physics is your friend folks.

I get not liking the feel of thicker/thinner/rougher/smoother tape but really a 1/32" thick piece of tape is not going to cause a 6 oz puck to bounce off. It absolutely won't "absorb" your shot. It's just not possible. Physics is your friend folks.

we we're talking about that bladetape rubber thing that you glue up to your stick...

but please lets stay on the topic, TAPE! no rubber thing that you stick on your blade

Andover with the yellow ring is the best. Doesnt rip easily, stays on the stick, best I've ever used.

In my area they mostly sell Renfrew, Lowry and 3M tape. Renfrew tape with the black/gold inner cardboard tube is my favourite, reasonably durable, easy to rip, with a nice rough/sandpapery texture. I actually feel that the black tape has a nicer/rougher texture than the white, not sure if that's in my head though, and I prefer black anyways because it's easier to pick up my blade in my peripheral vision.

Lowry make nice tape too, thicker and more durable than the Renfrew black/gold, but actually a bit thick for my taste, hard to rip, and has more of a soft fabric texture, not as sandpapery. It's a close second overall for me though. 3M and the Renfrew with the white/blue inner cardboard tube are both absolutely awful, overly thin garbage that only lasts for about 10-20 minutes of shooting.

thank you for the information, very helpful, i was actually looking for that sandparery texture, anywhere i could find some renfrew gold label in bulk package?

Andover with the yellow ring is the best. Doesnt rip easily, stays on the stick, best I've ever used.

I concur with this statement

Howies. We've tried about ten different brands of tape in the last 5 years, these are definitely not the best priced rolls, but they're the best. will forgo markup over customer quality. Great product.

Howies. We've tried about ten different brands of tape in the last 5 years, these are definitely not the best priced rolls, but they're the best. will forgo markup over customer quality. Great product.

how would you describe the texture of the howies, i dont mind spending a couple of buck more, i already tho the package deal of the howies was reasonable

Perfect. Not too smooth not too rough. I'll put it this way, we've had them for about two years now and people when they come to our shop stock up to last them until they can come back. We've converted a ton of people from andover and renfrew. Last year a kid bought tape for his junior team, all but a few hold outs ended up getting it for the season. Everyone has their personal preference, but for us its gonna stay howies

Renfrew Black/Gold label, everything else I've used is either too thin, tears too easily, doesn't stick to itself, or you can see right through it if you use only white like me.

+1. Renfrew is the best tape I've used so far. I haven't tried Andover or Howie's though.

Sportstape for me. Not as cheap as other brands, but my favorite by far.

is it realy grippy, sandpaper style?

Mueller M Tape, 1.5" white athletic tape. Cheap, durable and readily available to me. I'm far from skillful enough to where different types of tape make any difference to me. :P

I have and always will use jaybird. Yes its thinner but I like that a lot. Cant beat its made in the USA too. The main reason I like it is because it doesn't leave that damn residue on the blade when you peel it off

I've been having good luck with the Renfrew black/gold label. Easy to tear, edges don't fray... good stuff. I always buy a dozen or so various rolls whenever I place on order from IW. I've also had good luck with Howies and Sportstape in the past. I used to just buy a roll when needed of Howies from my local rink... until they started charging $5 a roll.

Get some Howies, or something big name tape, get some scissors, get some Mr.Zoggs Sexwax, and call it a day.